- advertisement -

Wow. T1 Unfriendly Waterpark.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Aug 4, 2013.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Good job!!! :D

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

The last time we went to Raging Waves (summer of 2012) we just brought a small cooler in and I explained to the guy checking the bags that my daughter needed it. It was really small and only had enough for one person. He didn't say anything. She brings a waterproof packet to keep candy/glucose tabs in when she's going around the park. Just hangs around her neck.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I haven't read all the posts yet, but did anyone bring up the risk of seizure with this guy? I had to do that in order to get D supplies into our local waterpark. First talked to the person searching bags, who didn't want to let us take in granola bars and glucose tabs.
    Called her supervisor over, who wanted us to leave his supplies at first aid.
    Asked supervisor who would be watching my child if he had a seizure while low and I had to run to first aid? "bring the food in and keep it with you Ma'am". :D

7. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

I just found this site randomly while looking for foil wrapped Ketostix, and I stumbled on this thread. I read it and got so angry I was inspired to join the site so I could be part of this conversation.

My son has been diagnosed for over 4 years, and I have to say that only once were we treated somewhat like this, and it wasn't this bad. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I posted it separately (because now that I think about it again, I get mad all over again, so I had to vent!).

Anyway, I looked at the waterpark's website, and I noticed that they have sponsors. Here's the page listing them:

http://www.ragingwaves.com/sponsors/sponsors.html

One of them is a hospital. I wonder if there's any way to make waves (so to speak :D) by letting the hospital know what the waterpark they are funding is doing. If they threaten to pull their funding because of this, the manager guy might start to change his mind about his ridiculous policies.

There's also Pepsi and Fifth Third Bank, among others. Some of those might care about their image enough to care about this incident.

I don't know how to make any of that happen, but I thought I'd put it out there in case one of you thinks it would be useful and knows how to do something about it.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I pretty much had this conversation with the attorney for the waterpark. "So exactly who is going to stay with my 9 year old who is disoriented from low blood sugar while I am running across the waterpark to get his juice?" It was very clear to me that they had no clue how quickly lows can come on or that when they do, you cannot just be sauntering across a waterpark for treatment.

It was also very clear to me that they do not want to allow the outside food or juice because they think there are now going to be scores of people sneaking Skittles in under the guise of having diabetes. :rolleyes: Which I'm pretty sure is not a defense under the ADA. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Send the sponsor an email or post a complaint to the sponsor's Facebook page (if posting is permitted).

10. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

That is hysterical!!! Why don't they just allow the flippin' glucose tabs rather than feel like they have to troll on the forum and involve attorneys. Sounds as if someone there has nothing better to do.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I really do think they think that people are going to be bringing in giant picnic baskets of food, and claiming that they need it because they have diabetes. That could obviously be solved by a policy stating that persons with diabetes are allowed to bring in a reasonable quantity of fast-acting glucose. A ham sandwich and potato salad wouldn't really qualify then. And if non-Ds are using the policy to sneak in a juice box or Skittles, who really freaking cares???

12. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I've read this thread with saucer eyes in disbelief over the ignorance and stupidity of this manager at the water park!

I've also seen some posts about people saying that they get stopped other places like at the airport for juice and so forth...FYI I had my DE write a prescription for juicy juice 4.23 oz juice boxes as we had a problem in Edinburgh airport with an ignorant ***** saying we needed a prescription for juice!

It was very amusing to watch the Mexicans at the airport in Cancun scratch their heads about the script I pulled out of my luggage when they told me I couldn't bring on my 3 boxes of juicy juice.

This NEVER happens in JFK and I have flown many times!

13. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

I don't have Facebook. But I was thinking more like somehow inundating them with complaints from us. Or something. I don't know how to make companies care, but I think they need to feel their image is in jeopardy, which I don't think they would with just one person complaining. I guess I don't know how to make something a big deal that major corporations listen to.

Remember when Barbie said "Math class is hard" and there was such an uproar that Mattel changed what she said? I guess lots of people wrote in, and maybe it was reported in newspapers or something.

Probably not as many people would care about this, but maybe enough would that our voices would be heard.

IDK. I just thought it might be a direction we could go to make the manager sit up and take notice because now it's actually affecting him.

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I rarely carry juice thru security. However, the most pleasant experience we had was in the Bahamas. A few Capri suns went thru in my bag. The woman said something about having to throw the juice out. I told her Hana had D and could carry it on the plane. She said no problem and zipped my bag up. No issue.

15. Lizzy731

That's the thing...there is a lot of inconsistency on the airlines. I don't have issues at JFK, in fact they made an overhead announcement last time I was there about only allowing juice for diabetics. The woman in Scotland happened to grab one of my 3 carry ons that all had juice boxes. Another man grabbed the other bag and let us go with the juice boxes in there. There is no consistency. That's why I have the script. Gummies just don't bring her BG up fast enough and I don't feel I should pay extra money for juice when I can carry it on the plane. It's medicine for a type 1 and should be treated as such.

Sorry to the OP for my airplane rant!

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yeah, they told us at Heathrow (a couple of times) that we needed a script. While I do pack that one special "D" bag for carry-on I usually toss a few juice boxes in other carry on bags as well. The law of averages, and/or our experience is that some always get through. It's only on really long flights of 8 hrs or more that I worry about having more than a few. If you let the flight attendants know that you have a Type 1 kid they are usually quite willing to make sure that you get what you need, should you need it.

17. Lizzy731

This thread really made me angry about the ignorance of people like the woman in Scotland. I called the local water park near me Splish Splash and spoke to the manager shortly after I read this thread as we were set to go there in a week. He was very accommodating and said we could bring anything in a plastic container to keep with us at all times. We would get a medical sticker as he explained. I think I would have went ballistic on the manager of this water park if he started with his speech likening his knowledge of T1 to a billy goat.

I know keeping gummies or tabs in your pocket as some suggested is just easier but I just can't hold my tongue when people are just plain wrong and hold a position of power.

18. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think it would be hilarious to watch airport security anywhere in the world puzzle over a drinking box RX! :D

19. Lizzy731

Yes that exactly was the scene...he looked at the script and gave me a quizzical look to which I smiled and nodded....he then went back to his other guys and after discussing it for a minute he said "ok you can go"....betcha he told that story a few times afterwards!

20. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

If you don't have Facebook, send an email. A corporate sponsor typically pays for some type of sponsorship status. It might reconsider sponsoring the water park in light of its practices. The withdrawal of a sponsorship could lead to a change in policy. That approach is, in my view, a bit less direct than taking issue with the water park itself, but could work.