- advertisement -

Wow, it is amazing what kids think!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WestinsMom, Aug 6, 2007.

1. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Today my sister in law called to tell me that Westin had a tootsie roll and gave me a blood sugar report. While on the phone with her, a nephew (she has tons of cousins there right now) made a comment about the lancing device (evidentally one of the kids was playing with it). He said not to play with it because it has blood on it and you don't want to "catch diabetes"! He is 13 and thinks that when he knows something, he KNOWS something. I don't know how the conversation went after I got off the phone, but my sister in law was out to set him straight.

At first I thought about how silly that comment was. Then I got to thinking, "How many people (including kids and adults) believe that you can catch diabetes?!"

Anyone hear this one before?

2. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

When a new kid starts at Samantha's school and they find out she has D, usually the first question is "Is it contagious?" I can see where some kids might think that. I hope adults don't.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When I was a week out of the hospital, two weeks after diagnosis, and eating breakfast, I offered to share some of my food with my four year old brother. My ten year old brother got distraught- Don't eat that, don't eat that, don't eat that!
    I thought maybe he was worried about me not eating all of my carbs, and I asked him what was wrong. He said, I don't want [baby brother] to catch your diabetes germs. Now it seems cute, but at the time I was hurt.

Kids' first question for me is often, Can I catch diabetes?

4. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

my younger ones asked this when Zech was first diagnosed, but they know now.

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

A boy in Emily's class asked this yesterday and it totally caught me flat-footed. I was literally speechless for a second, then quickly recovered and told him it isn't. It's understandable for kids to think that, I suppose!

6. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

Of course it's quite understandable. Kids are constantly warned "dont' get near sick people!". They think D == sick.

My wife has a little speech:

He's got T1 Diabetes. No, he didn't get it from eating too much candy. No, he won't grow out of it. It's most definitely not contagious. He can eat anything he wants as long as we give him insulin for it.

Average Jane or Joe isn't going to understand D anymore than I'm going to understand nuclear physics. (Well... I kinda understand nuclear physics a teeny bit, but y'all get my drift)

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My other daughter is having OCD issues with germs.. and we catch her every once in a while saying something along those lines of her not sharing drinks or food w/ Kaylee because she doesn't want to get her diabetes germs.. we've explained it over and over again that you can't catch it this way..I feel alittle quilty though, like we fuel this fire because we check her sometimes.. she knows why we check her.. and if she has a higher than normal number (which she has a numerou occassions) we keep a very close eye on her.. thats when she starts to get really worried..

I think its only natural for little kids to wonder these things..

8. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Westin has had D for 7 years. This cousin has been around Westin and his D for 7 years. At 13 years old I am surprised this is the first time I had heard something like this and more surprised that it came from him.

9. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

A Mom told me that kids didn't want to play with her 2nd grade daughter at school for fear of catching Diabetes. Another Mom told me that when her 8 year old son went to a pool party all the other kids got out of the pool also thinking they'd catch it. After I heard these stories I made sure to go to my daughter's 4th grade class last Fall and give a 10 minute speech on what Type 1 was all about. My daughter didn't really want me to do it but I told her it'd save a lot of questions all year round and it did.

10. JosephsDad

JosephsDad Approved members

well my son was diagnosed at 4 and he is about to be 17.

the first couple years of school were tough because of the lack of knowledge with the kids and the faculty as well.

We went into the third year with a plan. We took him to school on about the second Monday so the kids had settled in and spent about a half hour with the kids in the class and the teacher. We explained all about his diabetic needs risks testing procedures and the non risk he posed for them and how never to mess with the meter or lancet device etc. By the time we left the kids thought my son was "really cool" as one little girl said.

My son was the only child in the entire school back then with JD. K-12 all in one school. Around 400 kids. Sadly there is close to a dozen in his school now and the same kids that were amazed at all of his stuff have later turned out to have JD too. They are all big buddies and now they kid Joseph telling him he started a trend at school.

The only real "ignorance" if you want to call it that have been from some of the parents. Some went to the school in a panic thinking somehow my son was going to stab them with a syringe or with his lancet device. One even asked during a PTA meeting what the risk of AIDS may be. She was college educated to boot. But I guess she thought we shared needles with junkies or something.

He was often not inivted to Bday parties etc because the other parents werent sure how to handle him being there and "not having cake etc like the other kids" but once we got all that out of the way by inviting them to parties at our house he had tons of invites then.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I haven't heard that, but I can tell you that when I talk to Seth's class...The first thing I ask is "Who know what contagious means?" Just in case...they tell me things that are contagious, sometimes thay say things like cancer:( I let them know that D is not contagious;)

12. allisa

allisa Approved members

I haven't run across any kids who thought you could catch Diabetes, but I know that my older son at age 13 knows about HIV and that you should never touch someone else's blood....so perhaps the kid was thinking along the same lines ?