- advertisement -

WOW - insulin needs more than quadrupled???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Mar 2, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

My endo 'warned' me I guess that smaller children tend to 'honeymoon' for shorter time in his experience, and come out of it quicker, rather than more gradual in older kids. So I'm assuming this is what is happening??

She was on a TDD of between 1.5-3 u/day for months. Over the last 10 days, every single day we are increasing basal, decreasing carb ratios, increasing corrections, and she's still high ALL DAY!! Like hard to get her under 15. Shes now up to about 10 units/day the last couple days!!!!!! She's not sick, acting well etc. So I'm inclined to believe its real/permanent. I'm just nervous about how much insulin she's getting all of a sudden! What if she has another one of those days where all of a sudden she seems more sensitive/she kicks out more of her own insulin. Then we'll be in trouble...

I've heard most people around here talk about coming out of honeymoon as a more gradual process... anyone have an experience more like this??

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The whole "honeymoon" thing is very much a YDMV sort of business. TDD can increase suddenly due to growth, illness, weather changes, changes in activity, hormones and even stress. All you can do is give her what she needs now, keep a log and watch for lows. Just try not to think of it as a sign that she's getting "worse". If she didn't have type 1 her body would just be providing whatever amount she needs, be it 5, 10 or 100u. :cwds:

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would tread lightly on increasing basal very dramatically with someone so young. Basal changes with a long acting take a few days to really show their effect. Also she might be in a growth spurt or cutting a tooth and have a temporary increased need.

10units total does not seem too outrageous but it depends on how big you kiddo is and activity levels. They will need what they need but it is hard to gauge how aggressive to be sometimes, especially when new to it all.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter's insulin needs tripled in a week at the six month point. I've noticed from reading posts here that the 6 month mark is often one where the kids need drastic increases -- and the parents grieve more.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

How much does she weigh?

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Interesting. And we are about... 5 months...

about 38lbs. Or 17kg. So 10u isn't unreasonable... just such a shock from like 2u/day!!

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughter has been dx for awhile now and I don't remember there being a crazy jump in insulin requirements in the beginning. I don't know if she ever really honeymooned though. What I caution.. And I've witnessed it many times with my dd is that just because they don't look or act sick, doesn't mean they're body is not trying to fight something off. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason, my daughter will be stuck high for days and then it'll break. Sometimes we see a sickness come out a few days after the highs started. Btw, my daughter is about your daughters weight ( she's tiny) and her tdd right now (just had to increase a lot) is probably a little more than your daughters. I won't dig her pump out right now to check though ;)

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My youngest is almost 6 and is about the same size, tiny.

9. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac honeymooned for about two years...then BAM, he had a few big growth spurts and his insulin needs jumped greatly. He went from about 3 units to 9. He then stayed at 9-11 units TDD for a year until just about a month ago. Now his insulin needs have doubled (and he's grown an inch in three months) - yeah for healthy growing kiddos!
    I love that Sarah reminded us that the increase in insulin isn't that they're doing "worse" as their pancreas would have naturally made this change if they didn't have t1d. Just keep checking and adjusting :) It is hard for me sometimes though to feel safe when I give him a unit and a half for food when before he was getting just "wiffs" of insulin (before pumping), so I completely understand.

10. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks for that - I guess then the safest it sounds like is to go up on bolus, and slower on basal. so if this high 'breaks' or it was because she was fighting something, then she doesn't have a ton of insulin she doesn't need working for the next day or so!

Yah. Not my girlie. She is 3.5, and was 42 inches last time we measured her, which was before her last growth spurt!! So she's average height for a 5-6 year old. TALL and slim! :) But, I'm 6 foot - so she wasn't gonna be a tiny little thing!

I appreciate that 'reminder' too. And my endo said the same thing (I'm so glad he's a friend, I called him Sunday, a bit panicked over these doses). He said, calmly - "She needs what she needs, it doesn't matter what that number is. Just go up slowly and be safe."

LOL at the 'wiffs" - thats what they were saying about my daughter!! She was on a carb ratio of 1:110 for months!!! Ridiculous! But, I guess that is why these doses now seem scary somehow.. there was safety in the fact that she was getting tiny bits!