- advertisement -

Would you send this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sassypantz, Mar 11, 2010.

1. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Send it! I hate it when insurance companies pretend to care. :mad:

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh yeah send it Amy! For you and me and all of us that get those stupid mailings. I get them all the time telling Steven how he can diet and lose weight. ( the kids 9 and weighs 70lbs soaking wet:rolleyes:)

3. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Ok, I've been on facebook for too long. I'm looking for the "I LIKE THIS" button!!!

I say mass send it!!

C7

4. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

Amy,

Definitely send it like everyone else said. This letter is just as absurd as the message I got from Medicaid when they told me they would not cover Katie's test strips because she was TOO YOUNG to have diabetes! WHAT?:eek: Are you a medical professional making this decision? I had to pay out of pocket for 2 months while awaiting their approval after my pediatrician, and my endocrinologist made many phone calls and sent faxes with the explanation of my daughter's diagnosis. It definitely sounds like it was a mass mail-out, just as Medicaid probably has an automatic denial when there is something unusual like a rare disease pops up that they are not familiar with.

Go Amy for being a great advocate for your daughter. Keep up the great work!

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just for the "fun" of it, I would send this one.:D I think it's great!

Even if it's a mass mailing, they should really pay a bit more attention to what they're sending and to whom.:rolleyes:

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Love it!!!

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it makes you feel better to send it, then by all means send it. My opinion is that you should not send it. It comes across as overreacting and with a lot of misplaced anger. You said you have had a rotten week so I am sure your emotions are running high, and that is understandable. You could simply send them a letter stating that your daughter has type 1 not type 2 and please remove her from the mailing list.

It is clear you are very angry about your daughter having diabetes (totally understandable). But it seems like you are taking it out on the insurance company/whomever opens the letter. Your letter makes it seem like they don't understand the difference between type 1 and type 2. But I would bet that this is simply a mass mailing, not an intentional confusion of the types.

Think of it this way, if someone from the insurance company called you on the phone and wanted to send your daughter this information, would you blast them with the stuff you say in the letter, or would you simply inform them that she is type 1 not type 2 but thanks for the call? I bet you would treat the person decently.

Again, send it if you want to, I am just letting you know how it appears to me. I am clearly in the minority. :cwds:

8. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

You may get a letter of appology if you send Leslie's response letter. Your letter I do love, but it will probably anger them and put them on the defense.

"possibly because of my stellar example"

I may leave out. This may be true, but the remark seems too arrogant. You are trying to get their attention. They may reach that statement and believe you think you are better than everyone else. JMO

9. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

My insurace compny sends me something every quater stating that their records indicate that I have not had an A1c in the last 12 months..or an eye exam in the last 12 months and how important these things are to avoid complications.
    I called them after the 2nd one to inform them that I DO NOT have diabetes - my son does and he has had all these.
    I still get the letters.
    They did finally stop calling every month to enrole me in their diabetes management program. Daniel cannot be in the program because he is a minor.

So go ahead and send your letter but it will only make you feel good probably will not phase them at all.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

There is no reason for an insurance company that deals in medical records each and every day to send a mass mailing that is completely off base.

If a doctor (or his office) miscodes a billing, the insurance company will not pay. Specific codes are very important to them. There should be a definitive code differencr between Type 1 and Type 2 to prevent miscommunication.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

from my understanding, based on years in the medical field, and a mother who does medical records for thousands of patients...there isn't a difference in the coding for type1 or type2 since for all insurance purposes you are to see an endocrinologist just as often, utilize insulin, utilize test strips, need ketostix...to them they pay just as much for both, but they only send out mailers about info for type 2 because type 2's can do something to help the insurance company not have to pay so much, type 1's can't change a thing!

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There is a different ICD code. Type 1 diabetes is 250.01, and type 2 is 250.02, if they're controlled (or, not stated as uncontrolled).

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

What I was saying is that insurance companies SHOULD create different codes for each type of diabetes.

Is there only one code for all cancers? Or does each cancer have it's own designation?

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I like both letters shown here!

15. moco89

moco89 Approved members

They have their own designations for basically any medical problem you could ever imagine. Endo offices will almost always use the proper codes to distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ICD-9_codes

ICD codes are what insurance companies use to identify an individual's medical problems and they are used for billing purposes, too.

It is apparent that the stuff mailed to the individual on this forum was mailed to all diabetics, regardless of type, even though the insurance company does know that the individual is type 1.

16. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, absolutely! Sarcasm is my special tactic with letters like this. And when I achieve arrogant sarcasm on paper . . . well, I am in heaven. :D

But really the letter was just meant FOE (For Our Entertainment). I probably wouldn't send it, because I am not sure they would "get it." :(

I write responses like this as catharsis. But it makes me feel better to be able to write a response letter should be as ridiculous as theirs! And then I laugh and feel better.

(I have to be completely outraged to actually send a letter, and then of course I actually try to offer a helpful solution.)

So if I gave anyone besides me a chuckle, then time well spent!:cwds:

(OP I hope your letter gets results.:))

17. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

Yes send it for sure our insurance company does that all the time it makes me bonkers!

18. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

I LOVE THIS!!!!!! So awesome...you need to get it published in a newspaper!!!

19. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Oh ... and copy your congressional representation and cc on the bottom of the CEO's copy so he knows they got a copy.

20. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Good heavens, send it.

My company offers a lot of help for diabetics, but their online program is only for those with type 2 diabetes. The reality is that there are a lot more with type 2 than 1, so that's where the attention goes.