- advertisement -

Would you rather drive a minivan or SUV?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

We just bought a VW Routan (minivan) and love it. I was very reluctant to get a minivan, but I'm happy to have one for now for bringing along extra passengers and the dog.:)

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Chrysler Pacifica.

Car shopping is much better than years ago. For our last two car purchases, we did all the research online. Walked into a few showrooms and knew exactly what we wanted to try out. Left immediately, and then did all negotiations over the phone. Much less stressful.

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I want to drive an SUV again but at this point we NEED a minivan. Two big kids, two toddlers (4 days a week) and a baby that is due in june make having a minivan necessary. We have the Town and Country and it makes it really easy to get in and out. No climbing over seats to get to the back row. Stow and go for trips. It really is great.

4. Leece

Leece Approved members

We have both. We have a Pontiac Montana (06) and we just bought a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse (AWD)....The Montana is alright but when it comes to room and comfort the Traverse wins. The AWD handles like a dream in snowy weather and I find there is more room than the van. It also has more towing capacity (we would like to buy a trailer for the summer). The Traverse also has a third row of seats that flip up if you need them or you can lay flat all the seats for storage. We paid almost the same amount for the van as we did the Traverse. The traverse had excellent reviews in the Consumer Report. I would love a V8 for towing a trailer but can't justify driving it to work in the city or the gas milage.

5. M.Pendergraph

M.Pendergraph Approved members

We had a Honda Oddessy up until about a year ago. We still needed the room but I was just tired of driving a minivan. We only had it because we used to need it for diaper bags and car seats but since those days are long gone, I figured it was time to switch back to an SUV. Now, I drive a Toyota Sequoia. The thing is huge (my boys call it "the bus" :rolleyes:) but it has more than enough space and it's not too hard to drive.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've always liked the look of that car ;)

Though recently our SUV needed the heater repaired and it took forever for them to get the right part, etc etc and the loaner car they gave us was a cute sedan. I have to admit, I really liked driving just a plain old car for a change :rolleyes: (plus, it had heated seats :cool: so nice!)

7. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

We're car shopping right now too because with #4 we outgrow our Jeep. I'd like a minivan for the gas mileage and ease of getting in and out. But we do a lot of camping and a minivan just doesn't handle the back roads very well. So right now we're looking into Suburbans.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We have a minivan/Dodge and a large SUV-Yukon XL.

The Yukon XL is my favorite. The ride is so nice and I can make a Costco trip and still have room to spare in the back. This Yukon XL is the same as a Suburban. I've been told that Suburban people always want Suburbans and now I know why.

9. Dylan'sMom

Dylan'sMom Approved members

I wish we could go with an SUV but with 4 soon to be 5 kids, it just wouldn't provide enough room for us. We have a 2008 Honda Odyssey that we love (well, as much as it's possible to love a minivan). We might switch to an MDX after all of the kids grow up a little. I really like the look of it. How do you like it Karla?

10. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We only have two kids, but we have owned both. I liked my minivan well enough, but I have loved all three of my SUV's.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I love it. Quiet, comfortable, 3rd row seat that stores away if you don't need it, small turning radius...there's not really anything about it that I don't like. I'd highly recommend it. :)

12. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

SUV here.
    Had a minivan once when I only had 2 kids and it caught on fire while I was driving it, ended up being totaled. Never again.

I have an Expedition and works great for hauling kids around, however, as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a Suburban--more room in the back than mine has.

Its quite a large car, I'm not even 5 ft tall, but I love driving a big car:D

13. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I got a Town and Country last year after driving a Grand Voyager for 10 years. I don't understand why people don't like the "soccer Mom" image of mini-vans. Its a great car, holds us all and groceries, and is very practical. I'd get another in a heartbeat. I looked at all the minivan models over a year, as I knew mine was going to die soon. I love my car! (but it sure needs a bath)

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is it the new style? What kind of gas mileage do you get?

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Driving a '99 Toyota Sienna, which I love and which has been very good to us for over 180,000 miles. Fabric is wearing, badly, on the seats and armrests, and the exterior is swimming in dents and scratches, but it's still running well (Toyota replaced the engine at 112,00 miles). BUT...I am so ready to downsize. Looking at the Honda CRV or the Hyundai Santa Fe.

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I don't really care what kind of a car it is as long as it is easy to get into and comes with a driver.

17. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

Have you looked at the Subaru Outback wagon? We have friends who just got a new one, and it is about the size of the Accord wagons. It is really nice, and I think it had heated seats. I am partial to wagons and drove a Volvo one for years (talk about a mom mobile). I went with a Mercedes crossover when we traded in the last wagon as the kids and their stuff seemed to need more room. My favorite feature is having captain's chairs in the middle row now so the kids can lean back and sleep on long trips.

18. M.Pendergraph

M.Pendergraph Approved members

Yep, it's the new style. I get pretty good gas mileage. I can get about 18 in the city and 22 on the highway.

19. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This is me. I think my next vehicle may be a plain car. I'm sort of tired of the minivan and SUV thing. My kids are older so it would fit at this time too.

20. etringali

etringali Approved members

Had a minivan in college. Served it's purpose, but was a 4banger and put-putted.

I prefer suv/cuv vehicles. Had a Blazer. Loved it. press a button, 4wd engaged. only had 1 row in back. not enough room for 3 heathens... er.... kids :)

Now drive a Pacifica AWD. Has 3 rows. Everyone has their own spot. Do have a cargo carrier for stuff since family of 5 has lots of luggage when traveling. It's REALLY comfy seats, and they have Butt warmers :)

It is a slightly large vehicle, but it works for me:) Especially when visiting family in Syracuse anytime from November to april.