- advertisement -

Would you count 1/2 carbs for Quinoa

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

What is your opinion on counting carbs for quinoa? Quinoa was a staple for Carolina prior to starting insulin. Since Oct. she had had none and wants it really bad. I have some cooked, but do not know how the carbs will affect her blood sugar. Any suggestions?

2. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

I personally would just dose insulin for the carbs as you typically do and chechk her blood sugar regularly for several hours afterwards to see how it will affect her blood sugar.

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Is there something special about the carbs in Quinoa that has you thinking about only counting half the carbs? :confused:

The only way to know how a particular food will affect BG is to eat it and test after to see what happens. We generally test at the 2 hour mark because for dd most of the bolus is gone at that point.

4. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Yes Mimi there was another thread recently about quinoa. I remember someone has trouble with lows after eating quinoa. It is possible because of the protein. Quinoa is one of the few foods that is a complete protein and it is considered a grain. A very different grain from rice, grits, and pasta. I researched this several years ago and what I remember is it comes from Peru and I believe it use to be considered an herb, but now I can only find it being called a grain. I do believe Carolina will be high tonight from using a 1/2 carb count on the quinoa.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We find that we don't need to dose much for quinoa - I think it actually digests very slowly, but could be wrong. It's an awesome food as well. I would definitely give it. :)

Trial and error.

6. Toni

Toni Banned

We have only used Quinoa pasta in the turquoise box. This Quinoa pasta is mixed with corn flour as the first ingedient, Quinoa as the second ingredient. So must be different than the Quinoa grain or even Quinoa pastas mixed with a different type of flour or blend. This pasta goes right through her. If we give her 80 grams worth, we only charge her 60 grams with spagetti sauce free (11 grams). And she may still need some carbs two hours later. We have not tried other brands. No spikes from this pasta. I would watch BS very carefully until you figure out proper dosing. We have the Quinoa grain from Bobs Mill and it is Quinoa only. Am trying to figure out a way to hide it (maybe mixed with rice) so she will try it.

P.S. What does the Quinoa grain taste like?

7. StillMamamia

The grain tastes like a cross between rice and pasta, with a nutty flavour (very discreet). When you cook quinoa, it opens up. Then you know it's ready. It cooks in about the same time as white rice (here, ours cooks in 12mins). You usually have to rinse it well before cooking, but check on the package for that.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

Okay then.... I will mix this with her rice. She loves rice and this will allow her to eat more of that as well; I am guessing no spike since it is the pure Quinoa grain........

9. StillMamamia

Don't think it's a good idea to mix it with rice - might taste weird. It is usually used as a substitute for the side dishes (rice, pasta, whatever). Do a web search for recipes with it. I prefer it in Tabouleh salad instead of the usual bulghur.

10. Toni

Toni Banned

I guess I could mix it with Orzo pasta with butter and parm? Sis was thinking a cold pasta salad.