- advertisement -

Would you bank stem cells from teeth?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Sep 18, 2009.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I came across this site:
    http://www.store-a-tooth.com
    Also this:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7272921
    speaking specifically of Type 1.

The premise being that you can bank adult stem cells from your child's teeth...

I have never heard of this before and the prices are VERY EXPENSIVE.
    (of course possibly curing D is priceless but still...)
    I would consider doing this if there was a chance that the cure could come from adult stem cells saved from teeth but being that this is the first time I have heard, does anyone have any opinions or prior knowledge of this?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I wish they would offer to use the teeth for free just to be able to do more research with them. Id be happy to send my kids teeth to be used in this type of research, much less controversial then other sources of stem cells

3. mindychua

mindychua New Member

I'm considering the same thing. National Dental Pulp Labs is advertised in JDRF magazine. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

4. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

I've been considering it for my daughter since we didn't save cord blood for her. She still has baby teeth so I have to do something soon.We've saved cord blood from her sister in hopes of being able to use it later if stem cells ever cure diabetes. Last I heard it was around $400 or $500 dollars?

5. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

We will probably do this since we didn't bank cord blood. It is much more reasonable than the cord blood too ($400 vs atleast $1200). Luke hasn't started loosing any teeth yet though so we have some time. I'm comfortable knowing I might waste a few hundred dollars, but there is the chance a cure could come from it too. We will probably bank them for each of the kids since I've heard that it may be important to use someone else's stem cells instead of the person with the disease.