- advertisement -

would this upset you??

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by pianoplayer4, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

dd went to new york for a week to help out her aunt there, she was supsed to call or tx me evry meal adn call every night. well she is very busy baby sitting while her aunt is out of town 9 uncle is still there) and we really only hear from her in the mornings and at night. I tend to be more understanding about these things but is this something that we should not be allowing??

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the most important thing when it comes to teens and independence is to really think through their responsibilities and set very, very realistic goals. Since, maybe with the task of babysitting, she was in fact, really busy at meal times, asking her to text at every eating opportunity is not a realistic goal. I think if she was keeping up with her d stuff and checking in with you 2x a day I might be content with that for this trip and then come up with a plan that meets both your needs next time.:cwds:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

You say she's a teenager, but I think it depends on what age and how responsible she is. If she's at the responsibility level of the average 15 year old, I'd say twice a day is fine. Personally, at a pretty mature 17, I wouldn't be talking to my mom about my BGs at all, although I'd probably speak to her on the phone about other things on a daily basis. If she's at the responsibility level of the average young teen, I think checking in before every meal would be more appropriate.

So basically, I think it depends on (a) how good she is at figuring out the D stuff, carb counting etc. and (b) how good she is at remembering to do the D stuff and (c) whether she is responsible enough to be bothered to do the D stuff without a reminder.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

she is really good about d stuff, its not thats she is forgeting to check her self or bolus just not telling me.... i guess i'm just worried this is the first time she has been away from me for morethan a night or two since dx:(

5. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

except...ever see your kid texting friends...they always manage to text... kids are good at multi tasking.

IF that is what they worked out before she left...I can understand why OP is upset. then again...I can see your point too...esp if the kids are a hand full.
    Is she sending her friends texts?

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

And this is why for the longest time my mother always had the phone number of whoever I was with...I didn't text anyone, my phone was always dead :p. I text more now that I have a new phone that actually holds a charge :D. And I always make sure to text Mom.

7. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

This is not related to Diabetes....Growing up, if my parents asked me to text or communicate at certain points, I did. I would send Text Messages to my parents when I would arrive to destinations, and when leaving. Just a quick, "here," and ,"Leaving home," would suffice. Did I WANT to? Of course not, what teen does! However, it was what they asked for, and it didn't require a lot of extra work on my end. It didn't hinder my independence doing it...under their roof, their rules.

To me, it sounds like you requested something of your daughter, and it was not fulfilled on her end. So yes, I can understand being upset. Not just because of the Diabetes, but because she did not do what was asked.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Does she need your input to bolus for meals, or can she do this herself? If she can handle meals, then why would she need to text every meal?

You're hearing from her morning and night, and she is with her cousins. I'd ease up on the calling/texting requirements given that she' busy.