- advertisement -

would like opinions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sam1nat2, Aug 24, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Rough couple of days.
    This weekend we were in the mtns. I believe the set was starting to go bad due to swimming and hot tubs and I didn't pack the right ones:rolleyes:

Sam has some juice and a peach before bed. He was 160 and bolused. I check him at 11 and he's over 500:eek: I wasn't going to mess around and just gave injection. Long story short, it took hours to get him down to 200.

He takes a daily injection of Lantus for 75% of his basal.

Sunday morning I said you can put on the sure T or I can give you another lantus injection and we can do shots---he wanted the shot. I gave lantus in the morning and again, his regular dose at night and set a temp basal of 0% for 24 hours knowing he'd have all basal needed. Put in a new set in the eve when we got home and he was incredibly stable throughout the night.

Monday, football practice. He comes home from practice at 220 and has a snack. Lots of high fiber oatmeal, we underestimated carbs. 11pm, he was in the 60's, gave juice and reduced basal, he goes up to 105, then back to 60's----repeat every 2 hours. I think he had around 100 carbs throughout the night:eek:

He had a ton of exercise at practice and they had them do extra sprints--could that do it? What about the lantus from Sunday morn, I would think it would have been out of his system. As you can see from Sat night, juice spikes him, but not last night!!

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Absolutely, the exercise can keep working on him and bringing him down over and over again. We had that same exact issue last night. A late afternoon football practice (2:30 pm until 5:45 pm), lots of running, then dinner at 6:30 pm and we bolused for all the carbs and a correction... we should not have given for correction nor should we have bolused for all carbs... he kept dropping as well... 56.... then 55.... then finally 86.... etc. This went on for hours last night for us. I should have known better than to bolus for all the dinner carbs... argh.

3. sam1nat2

I know how exercise can bring him down, but wow, this was extreme. He's been high at 11 most nights, so go figure.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Ditto here, my son has been running high for some odd reason... and then the bottom fell out last night! I am sure it was a combination of the exercise and then the bolus from dinner... He had a pepperoni and cheese footlong sub and that normally tends to spike him 3 hours later... but NOPE, not last night. With this disease there is no right, no wrong, no inbetween... i just never know from day to day how his body will react.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

This was the unaccustomed exercise at football practice - what you saw is typical of what we see when DD takes on a strenuous new activity..

6. sam1nat2

the difference for us is that we see strenous activity frequently. I'm thinking that I may have over bolused for snack and maybe his initial bg reading was off too.

Wilf, do you think glucagon would have even worked?? I"m thinking all of his stores were gone.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm sure glucagon would have worked. He never went low, so the liver's supplies should have been readily available if triggered by glucagon injection.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I'm going to ditto that! And we see weird nights like that for no apparent reason.