- advertisement -

Would I be crazy to buy my 10 year old an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

May be repeating but here goes:

Yes I think it's a great idea getting her an iPhone especially since an iPhone enables a parent to monitor the child's usage and there are parental controls that can be used to stop unlimited access to the Internet (I read some people saying it wasn't a good idea because of the Internet issue but this can be fixed easily). If you are concerned about her dropping it the otter box defender series makes the iPhone virtually impossible to break. Also if she loses it then you can also track it with "find my phone". The amount of apps for carb counting is invaluable to a diabetic.

My daughter has had a phone for over a year and will be turning 9 in August. She takes it on play dates and to school and texts me her numbers before eating and when her sensor alarms. She is allowed usage in her 504 plan.

She currently has a palm pixi my old phone but I plan on giving her my iPhone when I upgrade to the iPhone 5. She has an itouch which I have parental locks set up on and I will do the same with the iPhone. She uses mcgruff browser for the Internet and can't download any apps that are not appropriate. If you educate yourself about the ways an iPhone can be used safely then there is no reason a 10 year old cannot have one.

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My child had a phone at 10 the rule was she could not give out the number. It was strictly for my use to have access to her or her to me. 9 months later she was aloud set times for calls, then the next was texting friends during non school hours. If she broke these then I took the phone. Personally if you can afford the phone and an otter box then do it but set an expectation no other phones will be bought. I do not regret having her start young the rules and safety of use was easier to instill. Follow your heart on what she needs to give you peace. Oh, but you do know most camps do not allow electronics at all. I know the one my dd goes to makes her disconnect for the week.

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am a former employee from there, who worked in Geek Squad for a few years. I have seen all sorts of accidental damage, on various electronics.

They support water damage, except for TOTAL IMMERSION, such as in a pool.

The information is otherwise correct.

I suggest keeping all contact information on paper, unless you have iCloud or another cloud service. Using a loaner phone is a huge hassle from Best Buy. Also, the turnaround repair time is 2 weeks.

If the phone cannot be repaired, due to accidental damage, you get a BRAND NEW PHONE, but you have to buy a new protection plan.

I have a Lifeproof case on my iPhone. It has protected my phone well.

Security Tips

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I would return that phone--it has a 14 day return policy.

You have better support with the iPhone. I would get that for functionality, especially if you plan on using it as a tool for diabetes-related matters.

I am a former repair tech and I do not have any warranty on my iPhone, which I bought unlocked with no contract. I have owned my phone for over a year and I drop the phone at least a few times a week, on concrete. I use a Lifeproof case.