- advertisement -

Would I be crazy to buy my 10 year old an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm buying my 10 year old a phone this week. I normally probably wouldn't have gotten her one until next summer (summer before jr. high), but with her recent diagnosis and her plans to attend camps that involve lots of bicycling and swimming this summer a phone is a must so she can keep in touch with me on D issues.

I'm sure she'd be OK with any phone, but I know she'd be thrilled with an iPhone and it seems that virtually all D apps are iPhone compatible (for example, calorieking is not available on my Galaxy S3) and with her diagnosis, it actually seems like there might be a legitimate purpose for buying her at least some kind of smartphone (for example, I have an excel file saved on a google drive with the carb counts of all the common foods she eats from restaurants/local places like DQ, etc. She could reference that if she walks up to DQ with a friend sometime and I could talk her through the dosing. Or if she bought lunch at the pool, we could add all the foods there to the list and work together to figure out dosing.

But as practical as one would be, a 10 year old is a 10 year old and she could lose it, break it, it could get stolen, etc., etc. She's taken good care of her iPod touch - it's at least 2 years old and in perfect condition, so she recognizes the value of things. And, it's not really necessary. I still have all the apps on my phone and I could just talk her through things using my information; she doesn't NEED to be looking at it too.

And of course, the contract is only 2 years, so she'd be all of 12 when the contract is up - and 12, or even 14 another contract later, is plenty young enough for your first smartphone.

My guess is that 75% of the junior high kids in town with a phone have a smartphone, because that's the kind of town I live in, but I try not to let my town's blase attitude about money influence my decisions on the matter. I'm just saying that she likely would not stand out in any way if she had one.

Any thoughts?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Personally, I wouldn't let my child have a smartphone at the age of 10. She needs a basic phone that she can call or text you, that's it. Giving her internet access at such a young age is, IMO, dangerous. If she needs carb counts, she can call you or she can carry a Calorie King book (they're tiny) in her D bag. I know a lot of kids have Iphones and smartphones at this young age, but I personally think it's too much too soon. :cwds:

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I was the last in my family to get an iPhone (at an age I shall not disclose). My son got one at 19; my daughter got one at 24. I still don't really trust them with the technology or the delicate nature of the device. I don't think a 10 year of mine would be getting an iPhone. As the PP noted...there are plenty of basic phones out there that can do what your daughter NEEDS them to do, though they won't be as entertaining.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Kids around here all pretty much have iPhones, from toddlerhood it would seem.:rolleyes:

Probably the best indicator is that your dd has been able to keep her iTouch in good shape for 2 years.

Mine got her iPhone at 12-13, but honestly, my biggest gripe with the smart phone for kids is that it's way more distracting and consuming than a regular phone. My dd's phone almost never stops beeping and alerting. It's so much more than a phone and while a "phone" might use a small amount of a kid's attention a smart phone is greedy for their time and attention. Sure she could look up carbs, or check out FB or Vine or twitter or instagram or etc etc etc

It's inevitable, but I would probably try to resist for as long as possible.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree, resist the urge as long as possible.

My girls recently asked for Iphones for their 12th birthday. We reluctantly agreed, mostly because their iPods were getting old and not working all the time. When we priced battery replacement vs. upgrade on our plan, it was a no brainer since it was only $30 to upgrade vs. $75 for a new battery. All their friends have one because to upgrade with Verizon, the upgrade phones are inexpensive Iphones. I think 50% of the 6th grade got them for birthday presents this year. But, I agree with Sarah. It is all consuming. Every time I look at them they are walking around with their monkey thumbs playing games:rolleyes: They are allowed texting, but only to select friends and during certain hours. We will have set up rules for the summer of phone free times and luckily they are so busy that they probably won't miss them.

LOL, my kids are pretty bright, but I don't think the lightbulb has gone on in their heads indicating that they actually have internet! We also have it set on airplane mode. You can set the phone up so that it falls under your Itunes account. Meaning if you really want, you can see all emails/texts that come to her, or it will at least allow you to have the "find my iPhone" app on it. My kids have been fairly responsible with theirs, we have had to use the app once or twice, but it was misplaced in the home. My friend on the other hand has a daughter who lost a shoe while wearing it:confused: and saw her the other day searching the dance school parking lot for hers. It was found. Annihilated by an SUV. Safe to say she won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

So, if she can live without it, I'd say don't go to the dark side yet. But, if it comes down to buying an Ipod and phone vs. getting an Iphone, well, then, it makes sense $$$ to just upgrade. You don't have to allow internet settings if safety is a concern (that was mine). You can get insurance on it, it's not cheap(I think it's about $10 a month), but they do offer it.

6. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Obviously I am way too young to be giving parenting advice:) but I wanted to point out that she can get many carb-counting apps on her iPod touch if you choose not to buy her the iPhone.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, my daughter had several on her touch, forgot about that.
    Figwee is one she refers to all the time, that is an app.

8. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My son is 11, he's had a phone since he was 8. He has taken good care of it, and this summer he got an iPhone. We also got him a lifeproof case, which eased our minds.

We have AT&T, so I'm not sure about how other carriers work, but we do a Data Share Plan, and I can monitor his usage, disable his data, locate him (with Family Map), and be in constant contact with him, which is the best part, and we have the protection plan, just in case it's lost/stolen/damaged.

Kids have a lot of technology now, and they are even allowed to use their phones at school. I'd prefer teaching him myself, and having him learn early what is acceptable and what's not.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Really, it is such a personal family decision that I am not sure why you are asking us? Some 10 yr olds have them, some don't - that is a parent's choice...did my kid? No. Would she have loved one? Yes.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

At 10, no I would not, but my 9 year old left his SHOES on the bus earlier this year. No way I would trust him to carry an iPhone.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We did and no loss here. I put it in a Otter Box Defender and it looks great.

We started out with a testing phone and upgraded him after a year to the iPhone.

As I see it, now, you're not going to build character by withholding something and you can't develop responsibility without practice so we got a phone - mostly for our benefit with texting and calling though. When very nearly all the other children his age had a smart phone as well I honestly didn't want to look like the odd hermit parent.

Also, it's great on trips with a data plan because I can tell him to Google anything and tell me what he finds while driving - that's great for those long drives. :D

12. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dd has had a phone since age 9 (only because of diabetes, just easier). She just got her first smart phone this year after 7th grade.

I agree with others, it is all consuming. Instagram, snapchat, google anything, etc.... But it is what 'all her friends have':rolleyes: She gets great grades and a good kid so, she gets it.

Tough choice. If she's not begging for it, I wouldn't get it. I miss seeing my kid without her phone in her hand 70% of the time.

If you do get one, for sure get the Lifeproof case.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Personally, I would vote no on smartphone of any kind. She already has an ipod which makes all the apps you mentioned available to her. If she can call you at any time (or even text) that should be enough. Any flip phone can do that.

I don't even have a smart phone. lol I still use the flip phone I picked out when I first got a cell phone, like 6 years ago.

I'm probably "old fashioned" but I think cell phones, especially ones that can play games and access internet, etc. aren't good for kids.

But, if you have the money, and you are going to buy her a smartphone anyway, I don't see the harm in going iPhone versus any other brand.

Good luck!

14. momofone

momofone Approved members

My guy had one when he was 11. I upgraded to the 5 and gave him my 4. So far so good. :)

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I was given a phone when I was dx, I was fourteen and while my family talked about getting me a smart phone it wasn't super serious and I ended up with what I referred to as the dinosaur phone (it was very old and clunky) I was happy with it though. I didn't get a smartphone until graduation; it was a present from my parents and I can't imagine having it sooner... there are just to many stupid things that you can do to it/on it... get a cheap phone that won't be crazy expensive to replace when it gets lost or broken.

Also wanted to add as a cwd who had a itouch... I almost NEVER used the diabetes apps I downloaded...

16. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I hope you realize that this extra "insurance" is one of the biggest scams that AT&T offers... they charge a hefty fee to replace your 'covered' phone.

My husband found this out the hard way when he dropped his Galaxy 3S and broke the front glass (not even the screen, just the glass), he assumed he was paying for something that was like Apple care (which is awesome, for the record) where if your phone has any kind of physical problem they'll literally hand you a new one, for free... but it's not quite like that. You pay $10/month so that you can basically replace your phone for $200 if something happens to it.. it's not exactly a bargain.

17. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Mostly same thing here. My DS has a smartphone which has software that I can track his location, what apps he's using, who he is contacting. I can also disable use of specific or all apps. He is 14 though. I like him having a smartphone for location reasons, and so he can use nutrition apps if he's eating and not at home (or if the nutrition info isn't available). But again he's 14. I don't know how often your child will be needing nutrition info when not with you.

18. mamattorney

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. They really helped me in thinking this through.

I have come to the conclusion that I think this 24 month contract should be for a regular phone and that I will reassess the smartphone choice then. She has an Ipod touch and so long as she has wi-fi, she can do everything an iPhone can do without costing our family $30 a month (and costing us an additional $30 a month in two years when her little brother turns 10 and expects the same treatment).

I think I was thinking more about why I like a smartphone to help her manage her diabetes and was overestimating her maturity level as to what she would use the phone for.

When faced with a situation of unknown carb amount, is she more likely to (a) take the initiative and look it up online or (b) phone/text me and ask how many carbs are in a slice of pizza, the answer is that she would contact me every time.

So while she'd have the ability to do all these fabulous things that I do to help take care of her, I need to recognize that she'd do that about 1% of the time; the other 99% of the time she'd be entertaining herself; and THAT is not worth $30 a month to me for a 10 year old (esp. one who has an iPod Touch already).

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

For us, it is a bargain, because we have a corporate account through my husband's work. It's not even $5 a month, for us, and the replacement price is also much less. :) Guess it depends on your plan.

20. mamattorney

Argh. I didn't read your responses about the protection until after I bought the phone (the $1 LG texting phone - hey at least it has a QWRTY keyboard).

I didn't get the AT&T protection, but I did buy the Best Buy protection. They said it didn't cover it if it got lost or stolen, but it would cover everything else, including accidents (like water damage). They said they would send the phone in for repairs and give you a loaner in the meantime - so it's not like you walk in and get a new phone. She said there was no deductible and unlimited claims, but I wonder if it's a rip off? I'm sure I can get it refunded in the next week or so. I'm going to look into it; it just seemed like a reasonable gamble when you take into account her age.