- advertisement -

Worst night ever

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jordansmom, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

So I changed my DDs pod late in the evening. It's only the second time to change the pod so I didn't know what to think when her blood sugars started to rise. Probably should have changed it earlier so I didn't have to stay up all night correcting and watching. Bgs keep climbing. My non D daughter comes down crying that soemthing was wrong with our Golden Retriever she has slept with since she was a little girl.

My husbands on a business trip all week. I'm home alone with bgs rising and our dog in serious distress. Talk about conflicting emotions!!!

I testing DD and gave one more half correction and ran the dog to the Animal ER where I was told we would have to put her down. My mind is racing from DD at home to the decision I was facing. It was horrible.

My older son was at home asleep. I got him up to test DD but he couldn't figure out the new PDM and woke her up. Thank goodness she had moved down a couple of points.

I had to manage the decision to put our dog down with other totally distraught daughter. Somehow I managed it, and came home to watch vigil over DD for the rest of the night. It was honestly the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I guess I have been lucky in my life so far to be able to say that.

I didn't tell DD until this morning. Anyone have any idea what grief does to a child's bgs? I am at a total loss, but she is sobbing in inconsolable. She is just learning to handle new dx emotionally. Don't know how she is going to process this.

Trivial question, but any tips on how to keep the high bgs from happening after pod change?

Funny I have been here so short of time but wanted to share.:(:(:(:(

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I have no idea what grief might do to BG but, I am so very sorry you had to go through all of this.:(

3. Jordansmom

Thank you.

4. phil413

phil413 Approved members

So sorry about the dog! When I was 15, our Golden Retriever that was 12 years old had to be put to sleep as well. It was hard, but with time and a new puppy :) things got better.

As far as the highs from pod changes go, I do a couple of things to combat them. I have her take a bath just before the change, it seems to help the insulin absorb and kick in better with the new pod. Also, I give a 0.8 units bolus as soon as the new pod is on. I stared this about 2 weeks ago and have not had the high numbers with pod change issue again. I would rather watch for a potential low for the first few hours than deal with highs. The amount needed for that initial bolus DEFINITELY varies by child, so if you try it I would start low and then just be real careful and watch for any lows.

5. taximom

taximom Approved members

I am so sorry about your dog :(. Sounds like a really bad night!

About the high BG after a pod change...we run a temp basal (much higher than normal...increase about 30-50% or more). You may have to experiment to get it right. I also try not to change right before bedtime, but sometimes we just have to. I also try to go on the low-carb side (if possible for dinner or bedtime snack), if we have to do a pod change at night. I will also do at least 2 BG checks during the night, if I think DS is going high.....so I can correct as needed. I do full corrections after a pod change, if it looks like #'s are going up.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I just wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your puppy.

7. Jordansmom

8. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

It sounds like a horrible, rotten, no good, very bad night (to quote my son's fav story...:rolleyes:)!!!
    I am SO very sorry about your golden...:(:(:(

9. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

I'm so sorry about your dog. ((HUGS)) to all your family.

10. Jordansmom

Thanks so much to everyone.:cwds:

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm so sorry for you and your kids. What an awful nightmare of a night. I'm so sorry about your doggie.

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We had a spate of highs right after pod changes. It's much less often now, that we have better insertion technique and rotate better.

Being your second pod I doubt it's rotation, but make sure you stay well clear of the previous site as long as possible. Know exactly the precise point where that cannula goes in the skin, and avoid it that point. Mark it with a permanent marker (just a dot) if you need to!

To this day we test pretty frequently after a pod change. If the change is right after a bolus from a good pod, he might go high after the bolus wears off, so I start testing more at that point. If he goes higher than I expect I correct very aggressively - temp basal plus correction plus undoing all the IOB. As long as you're already planning on testing a lot, I find it's easier to fend off a low than have a stuck high.

13. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Emotions can effect BG, so I would say the loss of your dog could possibly play a role in weird numbers today. Tyler usually goes high during the intense emotional times.

I would say yes to a new puppy. Not only to help with grieving, but a puppy growing up in the home of a "d" child can sometimes learn to pick up signs/scents and alert to low BG# events.

Good dogs love their owners without condition - it wouldn't be morbid to want to fill that vacancy right away - just shows what a big part of your life the one who is gone now really was and how important that role is in your lives. Name the new pup in memory/honor of the old one.

14. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

What a terrible night!! I'm sorry you had to go through that! Hopefully all of you will feel better soon!

15. Jordansmom

Thank you so much. We all sat at cried over your wonderful responses. You are such wonderful people. One great thing D has brought into our lives. :)

16. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am so sorry for the horrible night and for losing your beloved pooch. :(. I will be devastated the day we have to face this decision with our Golden and our Lab. They are 10 each. (((big big big hugs))) to you and your family.:(

17. brad

brad Approved members

Wow, that's a garbage night!! Sorry to hear about the pup, that's obviously very tough for everyone.

With regards to site changes, Cadence definitely spikes after a site change and then drops low with the correction. I'm going to start doing a bit more than a canula fill with her on the new site and see if that levels things off, that's a great idea. Also, we certainly are noticing where Cadence has good uptake and bad uptake with sites. Not necessarily a rotation thing but actually her legs are not as good as her flank, etc.

When she's riled up she goes through the roof sugar wise, we now have what we call a "tantrum bolus", which is approximately a 10-20% bump for a high sugar correction (we assume it's going high quickly). Of course the higher sugar amplifies the emotional state as well so it's best to give more than less and try to level things out as the trend upward is predictable.

b.

18. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I'm sorry about your dog also. Losing a pet is always so hard. :(

19. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

As others have said we use a shower right before a change and give an extra bolus to combat the highs.

I am VERY sorry for your loss. More pets can sometimes help speed along the grief process especially for children. What we have done was made a few scrapbook pages of pictures with silly, comical comments on our dog who passed. That really helped a lot with my children(myself included).

Allene

20. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Sorry about your doggie. {{{{HUGS}}}} to you and your family.