- advertisement -

Worst day in a long time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Deannas mom, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

I did a site change on Deanna just before we left the house to drop her off at school...Deanna called me at about 130 from the nurses office saying that she felt really sick and her BG was over 500:eek:. I told her to remove her site and give herself a shot of insulin and that I was on my way there.. I got to the school in less that 5 min. (I think I broke the sound berrior..lol ) she looked like hell, she had already sorta gotten sick ( you know when it just sorta comes up a little bit..I know TMI sorry) I asked the nurse for the ketone strips..they were out:cool: Deanna had already tried to put in another site (we use sil's) but she was feeling so sick that she couldn't do it and the site was not in properly..(the site she took out was completely kinked hence the high BG's) .I take her home and check ketones right away..yup..LARGE!!! give her the added insulin to correct the ketones and continue to make her drink her weight in water...fast forward to now..BG's almost normal and ketones down to moderate..but she missed playing in her softball game because of everything...I hate this disease....lesson learned from this...site changes really need to be done while at home and not just before leaving for school or before bed...I knew this...only now I will pay attention to it.:rolleyes:

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Gee what a rough day you both had! So sorry you went through this. I'm glad she is feeling better now.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's a tough day - maybe spoil her a little tomorrow.. :cwds:

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Oh - it is a real shame when it gets in the way of their sport. Sorry you had such a rough day and am glad you were close by. Hope tomorrow is good.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

today was the 4th time in a week and a half that matts set came out at night and he woke up high with ketones :mad: I feel your pain.

I highly reccomend the precision extra ketone meter if you can get one. We have one at school as well. I LOVE that meter. It usually takes matt about 2 hours to go down from ketones of 3.7ish... (usually what he wakes up with)

I agree with Wilf, spoil her a bit tomorrow! :D

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Thanks everyone..Deanna is much better this morning..BG's and Ketones are back to normal..but it took all day!

I will be spoiling her a little bit today for sure..lol she has another game tonight so that alone will help her feel better

valerie k "I highly reccomend the precision extra ketone meter if you can get one. We have one at school as well. I LOVE that meter. It usually takes matt about 2 hours to go down from ketones of 3.7ish... (usually what he wakes up with)"

We do have the precision and love it, but we are currently out of the strips and are having a problem getting them through our insurance:confused: and the cost of them without insurance is not in our budget right now so we are stuck using the pee strips..:p

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Sorry she/you had such a rough day. Glad she is better and hope today is a good day.