- advertisement -

Worried about the dance and her bg

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

The dance is tonight, and her bg reading have been roller coasting. Up and down, I am a bit stressed at her being at the dance.

So many chronic lows, mostly 40 to 50 range.

I lowered all of her basals, downloaded the pump stats.

Then ran a temp basal of -30%, lowered ISF, and I:C ratios.

Still getting lows and now a stubborn rebound high of 369

She has friends over, getting ready, nails, makeup, hair up doo, and the excitement of the night. Excitement causes lows. I am hoping she is okay, she is suppose to text me when she does her next check.

What changed recently? Exercise, gym class for the past 2 weeks lower her TDD from average of 59 to new average of 40.... This new number managed to change everything. The average is from the past 7 days.

Going to be a long night, hope she is having fun!

2. Bigbluefrog

All these lows were before she went to the dance, now add exercise to the mix.

3. timsma

timsma Approved members

I'm sure she'll have a fabulous time! And she sounds pretty responsible, so will test and treat if needed frequently. When Tim goes to these types of events, he doesn't change anything other than his basal rates. He normally will do a 50% basal reduction for not only the time of the dance, and a bit prior due to excitement (which drops him too), but for at least 3-5 hours after it is done. That's what works for him anyway. He will also just knock off some insulin from the carbs eaten if he feels it's necessary, or eat some uncovered carbs. It's hard on us parents watching them go out on their own as they get older, isn't it! (((HUGS))). She will be fine.

4. Bigbluefrog

Kara,

Thanks for the reassurance.

Nice to meet another family dealing with similar events and understands this stress.

Usually Amb will not dose during dance sessions. She can eat nonstop because the dancing and excitement drops her numbers.

Wondering how tonight is going...lol

1/2 hour to go.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I just have to say it is probably hormones. Coco had days of unexplainable lows followed by 4 days of incredible highs prior to her period. This pattern showed up about a year before it showed up.

Also, good news is that at a dance, she probably won't dance that much. She will probably spend half the time in the bathroom giggling with her friends and the rest of the time in a circle of friends gossiping about the boys.

6. timsma

timsma Approved members

How did it all go?

7. Bigbluefrog

lol, that is funny!

She is one to dance all night long.

Apparently her bg went back to normal because of the dancing and she tested often she tried to keep it above 100. She enjoyed the night and wished it lasted longer!:eek:

Kara,

The night ended well, and she had a wonderful night with no lows. After a day full of lows and highs, the night went smoothly. Whew! Her date was totally attentive and they danced the night together with a bunch of friends.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. timsma

timsma Approved members

That's great that she had so much fun! Tim is one to actually dance a lot too rather than just standing around. He has so much fun at these dances as well. Glad to hear it all went well and that you survived it, lol!