- advertisement -

Worried about eating disorder in type 1 child??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama2H, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey's endo told her she has to lose weight, she put on 10 lbs since her last check. We eat healthy, we are active, and we very seldom eat out. I know that she learned about running high to lose weight last summer at camp and I believe that is why she hasn't been bolusing over the last few months, we found that the only time she was actually getting the insulin was when myself or her dad was present. It took me a while to catch it as I was having computer issues with carelink and had been unable to upload to see it :mad: Since the endo appointment we have enforced 20 minutes on the treadmill or walking outside daily, one serving at meals (no seconds), and no more school lunch (packed lunch only). I can see it coming. It was a year ago that a senior in her high school died from anorexia and it is rampant in her school. She obviously isn't yet but I can see that it could easily turn that way now that her dr has reinforced that she needs to lose weight. He didn't call her fat but I could tell by her face that she "heard" you are fat. He did tell her that she isn't obese but that gaining that much weight is not healthy and she needs to lose it before it gets out of control. I can see when I take myself down that slippery road and go overboard with my own weight obsession and I don't want to see her head down that road. She has watched me do the hcg diet or when I take *********** and lose weight quickly and she is upset that I won't let her do the same diets. She already hears all of the info out there about type 2 and obesity and she doesn't want her friends to think that she is type2 and did this to herself. I suppose this is more of a vent than a question.

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I did ask her directly and she was adamant that she was just forgetting. She spoke with the endo at length and he gave her the "heads up" that she keeps this up and she will lose her pump. Since she was caught she has bolused every time she has put anything in her mouth.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I agree find her a good therapist. And try getting her on to see her CDE.

MyOlder dd had bulimia a year after the younger one dx. My DH had been stressing openly to the girls about how important out was to maintain a good weight. The girl was thin and there he was stressing over weight. Im sure this impacted her bulimia a lot.than factor in hardly any attention from stressing over new D dx.

Good luck. I discovered my dd was bulimic when I found lettuce in toilet

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I'm sorry. These are really treacherous years for girls with D. :(

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm so sorry to read your post.:(

Insulin + need to pay such close attention to food consumed + a medical weigh -in every 3 months ... it's a tricky combination.

Good luck, you are aware and ahead of the issue, I hope you can help Hailey navigate this rough patch.:cwds:

6. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

O.k. two things, and both of which I would take up with her doctor. First I would tell him that anorexia is rampant in her school and she doesn't need to hear that she needs to lose 10 pounds before it gets out of hand--how awful, reinforcing exercise yes, that is acceptable, reinforcing good eating habits, yes, but not the other. The second thing I would discuss with him is that he is NOT to threaten taking the pump away again. This is just another tool to keep her healthy. If she is skipping bolus's she will skip shots too--there is a root problem and that is what needs to be dealt with, not the method she is using to get her insulin.

My non-D daughter started having anorexic tendencies. We got her into counseling she went once a week. She is doing fabulous (sp?) now. One thing we learned was how to take the focus off of food, she viewed it as an "enemy". I think counseling would be a good idea. Your daughter may be using it as a "comfort", I'm a stress eater myself, and counseling would teach her how to deal with stress in a more positive way.

P.s. Great to see you around again. Sorry you have to deal with this though. (((hugs)))

7. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Hugs your way. I hope you are able to get things under control without issue. For a young one ten pounds is not too much to loose. One thing I know works well with kids is a pedometer. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's the consistency that pays off (and makes for a healthy habit....ie.. they can obsess about the number of steps rather than the weight :) A good goal is to try to get 10,000 steps each day, no matter how, outside, treadmill, etc Over time those really add up.

ETA: You can get one and set goals along with her. It's great for the whole family.

8. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I have to ask.... How can your doctor "threaten" to take her pump away. You're the parent and you make the decisions for your child... Just wondering

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I just don't see how taking the pump away achieves anything. You can still skip taking the injections or the pen. What's the difference?

At any rate, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all this. May I make a suggestion about exercise. Not only does it help with the weight loss, but it can really help psychologically. Feeling as if you are taking care of yourself is a real morale booster. If you have the time, maybe you could do an aerobics class together, swim or just take walks after dinner each night. The weather is getting better and that helps. I really think that cutting back on calories is just one part of the equation. We need to keep moving the machine to be more efficient in our carb burning. And the pump is MUCH more friendly when it comes to being able to exercise without having to feed the insulin since basals can be adjusted. Hope things get better soon! It's fantastic to hear that she's bolusing for all her meals.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Forget the endo, do YOU feel she needs to lose weight? Do you think it is the most important thing to be focused on in her life right now?

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Whoa. I can tell you that my first order of business would be to tell my endo that he/she needed to have a private discussion with me before he/she ever discussed weight with my child again. My second order of business would probably be to start shopping for a new endo, because any endo that threatened to take my child's pump away is not an endo I would have any interest in seeing any longer. That is just...wrong.

Fourteen is such a tricky age when it comes to body-image issues. I guess I would be very hesitant to enforce treadmill time or limit food at meals. I'm not trying to sound critical here, as I know you're really struggling with what is the "right" thing to do, but I worry about the message that she is hearing here. I can't imagine how gutted I would have been at 14 to have been told by a doctor to lose weight, and then to have my parents make me exercise and limit food at meals. Again, I know you're trying to help her, but honestly, especially with T1 in the mix, I think I'd rather she keep the 10 pounds on at this point. :cwds: Especially since you say that she already eats healthy and is active. Teen girls naturally put on weight during puberty. It's natural. And it's also possible that this is just your daughter's natural body shape.

I think in your shoes, I would try to find a medical professional who is very experienced with teen girls and weight issues (and optimally with diabetes too). I hope this post didn't come off too harsh. I don't have a teen yet, and I honestly don't know what I'd do in your shoes (other than fire my endo). I hope some other parents of teens chime in here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  12. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Can you find some really fun exercise classes like zumba to do together or even something like that at home together. Or plan a friends night over and set it up that way. Keeping exercise fun is the best way to reinforce it and seal in a healthier body image.
    Anorexia tends to occur because of loss of control in their lives. People who tend toward anorexia feel the need to try and control something so loss of eating and extreme exercise is an easy thing to control and very empowering for them. It will/can also lead to severe lying to be able to get away with it as well.
    Bulemia is more towards really poor body image and trying to control weight. Even if the body is healthy the image one has of themselves could be completely distorted.
    Both are very difficult to live with.
    Can you have her start to help plan out meals for the family and family exercise time so that she is learning she can/does have control of things in her life at times and at the same time learning how to care for herself and others. By helping to prepare food for others it sometimes can lead a person to think in healthier ways then just for themselves as they feel a stronger responsiblity for anohter life then their own.
    Hang in there and it is still great to hear from you!

13. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Thank guys :) We love Hailey's Endo, he is awesome and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I think the pump think was to try to get through to her and I will admit I have threatened the same thing. As for the weight, yes she has put on a lot of weight in the last six months.

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

I agree. Together with the comments about weight, I'd be on the look out for a new doctor.

Even if you love him and think he's great, these in my opinion are not comments he should be coming out in the presence of your daughter without running them past you beforehand..

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

We are in the same boat sort of -every appointment Coco gets reminded that she is not skinny - she is on the top edge of height and weight, and they always mention how she needs to be careful...

It is tough, and I hate for her to feel self-conscious - which she is, and she has made obvious a few times.

My oldest went through a similar thing - without D coming into play - and she dieted and exercised. Now that it is softball, she asked if we could be a little more careful about what we eat since she wouldn't be exercising as hard. I thought that was pretty grown-up of her.

So now, we discuss how to eat healthier, what treats we will allow, and we plan menus together, taking into account calories, fat, etc. It is easier for me, since I only have them 50% of the time, but both the kids like the healthier food...except the chicken cordon blue burgers - they hated those :rolleyes:.

I also try to do active stuff with them now on my weekends. We take the dogs to a trail and walk them, go play frisbee golf, go for bike rides, etc ,etc etc. I need to loose weight, so it is good for me as well...

I do try and keep the focus off of weight - which yes, I do worry about, and more on the healthy lifestyle.

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My dd was somewhat overweight when she was dx'd type 1. She did lose quite a bit and eventually started to gain it back. Her endo NEVER said anything to her about her needing to lose weight. She was very active and he knew that.

17. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I wouldn't be happy with the endo right now. If she gained 10 lbs in 6 months and he told her she has to lose 10 pounds his message is kind of that the number on the scale needs to stay exactly the same or she has to go on a diet. I wouldn't want my 14 year old getting that message, I don't think it's healthy.

I feel for you though...this is such a tough age and the peer pressure to be skinny is very real for our kids. I don't think she needs her doctor to make these comments unless there really is a major issue (much bigger than 10 pounds) and he consulted you first.

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Liz is one smart lady:cwds: I had a different situation a few years ago with my older son. Harry was 10 years old and weighed 103 LBs. He was about 10-20 LBs heavier then his peers. I took him to the doctor for a check up and she was excellent at discussing the weight issues. She never said that he had to lose weight or that he was over weight. She discussed portion size with us and healthy snack ideas and to try and get out and be more active. She asked to see him again in 3 months. By the time we got back he had lost 4 LBs. He lost another 3 LBs in 3 more months. I know how girls can be about weight issues. They tie it in completely to self esteem and how "good" or "attractive" they are because of their weight. Try to see if your daughter can see a good nutritionist that deals with eating disorders and a therapist who can help her see around the weight issues to the beauty that lives inside of her:cwds: