advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Diabetes Day is Nov. 14

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by MHoskins2179, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

This is the 4th year for World Diabetes Day, which is a way that our Diabetes Community has a chance to raise awareness. The JDRF has recently decided on a national level to coordinate its National Day of Conversation on Nov. 14, in honor of WDD.

Of course, November is National Diabetes Month anyhow. But this day is particularly significant, and is growing each year. Many communities/states/groups/companies take part in this, worldwide. Some light up monuments, such as our Soldiers and Sailors Monument in downtown Indianapolis that was radiated in blue for this day. This is a day to unify our community, bridging gaps between the JDRF, ADA, Type 1s and Type2s and all other D-genres, and the fact that there's no universal color at the moment.

Anyhow, with three months to go, figured I'd try to get some here on the CWD Forums to think more about this and generate ideas and discussion. Here's a link to find out more: http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/

2. sariana

sariana Approved members

Thank you for posting this! My 5 year old is in Kindergarten this year and I would like to do something with her class around this day. I am always looking for some ideas and suggestions!

3. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Sounds like a great idea, going to the school class!

I know some local JDRF chapters do things like that and offer parents some resources and help on those things. Might be a good place to start, or even connect with some local D-parents who could offer some thoughts.

Another thought is something the JDRF is doing called Type 1 Talk, which I've written about on my blog not too long ago. It's on Sunday, Nov. 14, but could be a decent way to get some of the school-aged friends and their parents involved and educated! Look it up, and good luck!