- advertisement -

Working from home?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by melissajm, Mar 8, 2013.

1. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Does anyone here successfully work from home? I am working part time right now while the kids are in school, making hardly any money and am given a hard time every time I get a call from the school nurse(s). DH has been able to take some of the calls because he is self employed but he does physical labor & isn't always able to take a call. I started looking for another job but now DH may be heading out of state for work so everything for all 3 kids will be falling on me. With his job situation up in the air now is not the time for me to take on a new job. Which leads me to my original question...does anyone work successfully at home?

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I split time between the office and home. Three days at home, two in the office. I just added the third day, having done a 2/3 split before. I love it. In my case, I didn't find a work from home job, but instead have pushed for my job to have a work from home option. Ideally, I'd do 4 home and 1 office and maybe that will happen someday. One day at a time :)

My kids are older (and I see yours are, too) and that makes it easier. If they are home sick, I can still go to my home office and work because they self-entertain and can sleep the day away without my having to miss a day. I will say that I work really hard on my home days to make sure that my productivity is obvious to everyone at the office, which I think helps me do it successfully.

If you can find the right job, have a work space and can self-motivate, it's can be a really positive thing. I love it and never want to go back to an at-the-office job!

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I split my time as well, some from home, some office, some in client's homes. I am trying right now to transition to no in home visits right now but will still have to go to the office at least some of the time for meetings and such.

We homeschool so my boss (who is a friend) is very understanding of my need to be nearby to help them. I am MORE productive at home but also tend to work more hours and more days (I am salaried) when home vs in office. I like that I can throw in laundry, pick up kids from activities, etc, can work at night in my pjs, just took a trip with my husband and was able to get a little down away from home too.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What is the Nurse giving you a hard time about? Is it because she can't get a hold of you? If she can't, why is that? Does she not have your cell phone number? How many times a week is she calling you? Maybe that is the real issue?

Is her inability to reach you the main reason you want to work from home?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is what I wonder about. I hardly ever went to my son's school and he didn't have a nurse.

6. Christopher

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I got a call from the school nurse. Then again, Danielle is a few years older than the OP's child.

7. melissajm

My boss is not happy about the calls (not the nurse).
    Unfortunately we are getting calls quite often form one school and a few from the other. DD's school nurse was very incompetent last year and was made to call us every time Lilly got checked/administered insulin. She retired and a new nurse was hired. She was calling often at the beginning of the school year until she was comfortable with DD's care. In January she abruptly left. We have since been dealing with substitute nurses and some days no nurse, (There aren't any other personnel trained in diabetes care at our schools) so therefore a lot of phone calls. Another new nurse has been hired and will be in training for the next 2 weeks so I expect I will be getting calls then too.
    And also as I said DH may be going out of state for work which means all be fall on me.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Finding a work from home gig can be tough. What are you looking for? I often write cheesy internet articles on the side for some extra $ - but it is not reliable enough to depend on for consistent $.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

What about daycare? With your D expertise, you could put up an ad in the endo's office. I am sure there are parents out there with young ones in daycare that would love someone that knew what they were doing. ;)

As far as the school nurse situation, why isn't anyone else at the school trained? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I hope you're able to get that straightened out soon.

10. Christopher

Oh OK. I misread your first post. I don't blame your boss for being upset, if you are constantly getting calls.

I guess for me, trying to work from home is not really the solution to the problem. The real issue is why so many calls from the school. It sounds like maybe you need to train more people or at the very least have a clear, well written out plan that the nurse (or anyone who is filling in) can follow without too much trouble.

11. melissajm

Our schools won't train anyone else in diabetes care... because we have full time nurses they don't think it's necessary. This is a topic for a whole other thread!;)
    With the school issues and possibly being on my own for a while it seems like working at home would be a great option. It would give me the opportunity to contribute financially to the household, be able to take calls from schools when necessary and still be able to juggle the kids sports and other activities.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

have you looked to see if the school district is hiring?

Have you asked if anyone you know needs help with projects stuff the do not want to do that they might want to pay you for?

13. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I am an independent consultant with The Pampered Chef (kitchen tools that make cooking easy and enjoyable) - so I set my own hours, do demos when I want to, etc. For me, it is much more lucrative then working at a part time job while my kids are in school - I can make much more per hour, and my schedule is completely flexible. Just another idea to consider.......

14. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Not very glamourous, but cleaning homes can be very flexible and profitable. I know several moms who clean one house or 2 apartments a day, leave the house after kids are off to school and home before school is over. I did it many years ago to bring in extra income, and word of mouth advertising got me 4 homes to clean within the first week.

15. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

FYI Bethany has an 1:1 aide who communicates with me via text. It is a wonderful system and it takes 2 seconds for me to respond. The nurse will text be as well. Just an option instead of getting phone calls. Maybe your child needs a 1:1?

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I apologize if I am derailing the thread, but is the aide specifically for Type 1? There were a number of Type 1's in my son's elementary school when he was there and none of them had an aide assigned to them. I was just curious. :)

17. Lizzy731

Yes it's specifically for the diabetes, she has had one since Pre-k. Most likely wont be continuing next year.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

It never even occurred to me to ask for an aide. Then again, we were in a relatively small elementary school of 500 students, from K-5 and our nurse was really hands on (a little too hands on at times ;)). That might be something for the OP to look into since their school lacks a full time nurse.

19. Lizzy731

The aides have been a God send to me....and since they text me they don't involve the nurse who is a nervous Nellie....sounds like the OP school nurse is also a nervous Nellie. I am trying to faze out the aides for next year. Bethany has a cell phone which she will use to text me if she has an issue. It will be in her 504 plan that she is allowed use of the cell phone in class. Perhaps the OP can also look into this option.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I am in sales, I set my own appointments. The appointments can be daytime evenings, or weekends. It's very flexible. So I am available by phone and can be home during the day if needed. I sold Rainbows for 20 years, now I sell solar systems. LOVE it!:D

I like the daycare idea too :)