- advertisement -

Work/sick kid WWYD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nanhsot, Mar 3, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son is sick today, not horribly sick, but hot/cold, sore throat, tired, draggy,not eating, skipping doing school as he can't concentrate. No fever that I can tell (can't find my thermometer but he's not at all hot to feel).

BG in the 150 range, so that's pretty good all in all.

He's not been truly sick since diagnosis other than minor colds. This may just be a heavy cold or something more, no way to know at this point.

He's 16, totally and completely independent in D care, to the point that if I had to work his pump I'd have to look in the manual! We confer on ratios/basals, carbs, dosing, etc, but as far as actually managing the pump and testing and such, he's in control.

I'm scheduled to work tomorrow. My husband is out of town. Work is more than an hour away. I work by contract (prn for the medical types out there) and rarely work weekdays, usually only weekends, there was a high need this week so I agreed.

Work is needed, my paycheck is earmarked specifically for pump supplies, insulin, then I pay for the classes he attends. Not working is a BIG DEAL, not only in being seen as flakey but financially.

But I'm nervous. I don't really want to be that far away in case he gets more sick, or whatever. But...he's 16, it's not like I can actually DO much for him anyway.

Blah. What would you do? Cancel work or go?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would go to work, but call in every now and then.

I would also located the thermometer.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

In that situation at that age, my mom would definitely go to work and leave me home. It would be different if he was having major BG issues or vomiting. I'd call or text every so often to check he's doing okay. Do you have any reliable neighbours or family close by that he could contact in a really emergency situation?

4. joan

joan Approved members

I would go to work unless he had large ketones.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Since it isn't the tummy flu, go to work with scheduled check-in times.

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I would go to work, as long as he is doing alright on his own.

It helps knowing he is independent with his d care. I like the idea of a text or checking in, more for your peace of mind.

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

He is 16, what would you do for him if you stayed home? It would be different if he was vomiting or had ketones. I would have scheduled check-in times, have some snacks and a light meal ready for him. At our home with my older daughter,if there was no fever and just feeling yucky it was understood that there is no TV,phone,internet when a sick day.

8. LJM

LJM Approved members

Without ketones and without him needing much assistance, I would go to work too. Just have him agree to test on a pre-set schedule and have him check a few times for ketones (just to reassure you that he is not getting worse).

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I agree with what every else said, make him check for ketones and check in with you. Leave water and anti-vomiting medicine (zofran or whatever you use) near him and leave some stuff that is easy for him to fix to eat. Hopefully he will feel better by tomorrow.:)