- advertisement -

woo-hoo! Just ordered Dexcom G5!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nebby3, Sep 2, 2015.

1. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

After all our troubles with insurance (3 months to get a new Dex), I read that since we just got a new one in August I can upgrade to the G5 for free. Called Dexcom and signed up for the upgrade. They said it will ship 10/1. They ship the new transmitter and we can upgrade the receiver software online. So I guess I'm kind of glad that it took so long to get our new one. If we'd gotten it in June when we first filled our paperwork or July there'd be a charge to upgrade.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Dexcom seems to always be pretty good about upgrades. We went from the 7+ to the G4 on the free upgrade path like you did. We just went to the Share in late June, so that's a bummer for us but do you know what the "short-term owners" upgrade plan is? Might be worth taking advantage of.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I signed up for the upgrade yesterday too! I am looking forward to the kids not having to carry around as much stuff. On the other hand the data on the phones is not as reliable as the data on the receiver. And of course the ability to see events on my own phone will be great.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

here's the link with upgrade pricing: http://www.dexcom.com/faq/what-upgrade-offers-are-available-dexcom-g5-mobile-cgm-system

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Can you elaborate? I hadn't heard this and I am curious. I filled out the paperwork to start the process of getting dexcom today! so it should be coming soon, if insurance plays nice. :)

6. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I was told that the receiver would also send straight to the cloud to follow phone without a share phone. I am hoping? This will keep my son from having to take his phone to specials.

7. Theo's dad Joe

I think he means that the phone may not always pick up the receiver data?

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Receiver will be optional, phone will not - for cloud uploading anyway. The receiver only receives data from the transmitter; it does not talk to the internet. So if you want one fewer thing to carry, you eliminate the receiver not the phone.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I called today. DS will be out of warranty in about 2 weeks so I need to go through the regular insurance process. And then I found out that DD got hers 6/20, which is 5 days too early to save $100. Figures. I decided to pay the $299 and get transmitters for her, too. Since my insurance takes awhile for a new transmitter to come through, this seems like as good a time as any to pay out of pocket and get two back up transmitters.

What surprised me was that we can still use the receivers. I haven't done my research because I thought that this was a phones-only change, which I was hesitant about. Having a receiver is really convenient, especially since keeping phones charged 24x7 and using them at night didn't really appeal to me. When they each switch, I think I'll still keep the receivers going and just toss them in their backpacks at school so that we can have them at home. I have plenty of time to figure it out - I imagine the kids will stay on the G4s until their transmitters die. I'll let others upgrade their receiver software and figure out how to make everything work out, then borrow all the good ideas :victorious:

I'm just happy that the current sensors will work! I love not needing to replace useable things!

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I'm just curious, did they specifically say you couldn't do the free upgrade because you were 5 days out of the window? Did you push the issue? I'm just curious because I am only 3 days out of the window and I was hoping they would just let it slide. I haven't called yet.

11. Theo's dad Joe

Darn. It is a lot easier for him to wear the receiver in PE and recess than to carry around a phone. How does the receiver know if you do calibrations by phone?

12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

It doesn't. You either use the receiver as your primary receiver (ha) and calibrate that, using the phone only to upload, or you bypass the receiver and use the phone as a receiver, for calibrations, and as an uploader. Using the latter system you may also want a redundant receiver but would have to calibrate that separately (and in concert with the phone if you want them to match). Someone correct me if I've misinterpreted the press release.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

^^^This is what I was told by a cde yesterday.

With the g5 if you want to use the receiver and phone, you have to calibrate them both. I think we will get a receiver, and also a phone (or iPod), so we have options. I wish the receiver was capable if uploading to the cloud. But I think I understand why it doesn't.

14. Larea92503

Larea92503 New Member

Dexcom upgrade dates

I called and placed the order for my son's Dexcom on July 22, and even though it was not shipped that day or delivered until July 29, I was told that they could not allow us to upgrade without the $299 fee. They were not flexible at all with me. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did though.

15. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

For the receiver to work properly it must be charged, calibrated, and within range. For data to be sent to followers the phone must be charged, various settings must be set correctly on the phone, you have to have updated software, it has to be calibrated, within range, the app must be open, you must have either a cell signal or wifi, a properly set-up account(s) with Dexcom, their server must be working, you can't have firewall issues, and who knows what else. If you are less concerned with data on the followers phone then some of those pitfalls can be ignored.

Without getting into details all I know is that there are plenty of times when the receiver has data and my phone (the follower) does not. Most of the time the problem is that my daughters phone ran out of charge then when she charged it she never opened the app again. Sometimes when the phone only has one or two percent charge left the app seems not to work also. Sometimes everything is charged but for whatever reason we just need to close and open the app.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi and thanks for the response. I did end up contacting them and I got the same response you did. Luckily, Danielle actually likes the reciever so I am not going to upgrade now and I will spend that money on something else. If I really want to upgrade, I can do it in January and have the insurance pay for (some) of it.

17. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

They need to come up with a way for the transmitter itself to be able to remember calibrations and be able to broadcast the latest calibrations out to any receivers when they get turned back on. I understand not being able to fit the software algorithm in the receiver, but with ever (physically) shrinking flash memory, it seems it could remember 24h worth of actual numbers and broadcast it out to receivers as they come back into range and auto-update other devices with the latest calibration data. Or maybe the goal is to just eventually have the transmitter send the numbers right to the cloud and get other relievers to show readings from the cloud. It just is overly complicated to have to calibrate an app and a receiver if you're going to go back and forth. I look forward to using just my phone, but I do worry because my iPhone has awful battery life.