- advertisement -

wives of diabetics

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Helen, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Helen

Helen Approved members

Hi everyone,

As a doctoral candidate at Adelphi University, I have been working on a study on coping strategies and marital adjustment in wives of Type I diabetics. As a researcher, practitioner, and wife of a diabetic, I have become very interested in learning more about the disease in order to help not only my spouse, but also myself, as well as other diabetics (and their families) that I am certain to encounter in my professional as well as personal life.

I have been on this frustrating research journey for the last two years. Choosing another topic would have certainly led to quicker results, but I believe in this study’s worth. As the wife of a diabetic, I understand only too well the joys and sorrows of living with this disease and how the disease not only impacts the diabetic, but the diabetic's family as well. My hope is that this study will lead to more of a focus on the varied needs of well spouses, which until now has been a relatively unexamined, albeit important topic. Hopefully, my research can shed some light on how to best help spouses (in this case wives) of diabetics with respect to building or increasing adaptive coping strategies, which will enable them to deal more effectively and more positively with the numerous physical, psychological, and social stressors that invariably plague a relationship interrupted by chronic illness.

If you are interested in helping and taking part in this confidential and anonymous online study, you can do so directly by clicking on the following link which will take you to the survey page:

http://wifeofdiabetic.survey.sgizmo.com/

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at:

hballas@optonline.net
    or
    ballas@adelphi.edu

Many, many thanks!

Helen