- advertisement -

Wish me luck....

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Danielle2008, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Today is pump start day:D

I will be leaving in about an hour to get there. Keeping my fingers crossed for smooth sailings!

2. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

Good luck. Have fun. Lol. When I did my pump start it was fun.....until some dude stole my internet. XD
    I hope it goes well. =]

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Good luck!!!

4. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Good luck. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

5. Danielle2008

Thanks everyone, I am back!:D

So we set up the basals throughout the day, my BG range etc. etc. I am supposed to call her everyday until everything seems settled. I am getting 40% less basal then I normally do right now:eek:

My BG was higher when I woke up today(160), I corrected with 1 unit which normally brings me down quite a bit...and had a carb free breakfast(since I was not taking any lantus either).

At the Doctors office I was still 170 about two hours later after the correction. Once we got the Pod on and started, I gave a quick correction bolus, and I am now 138...so it is working!!

It took a few minutes for me to work up the guts to push 'ok' for the cannula to be inserted(you know, the 'unknown'), but once I did it was fine. It didn't hurt at all! It felt like someone just 'flicked' my skin. It doesn't hurt in, no itching...feels great!

I am so excited. I am going out to grab a bite to eat with my sister at work.

This is so neat, I LOVE it!!!

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Oh Danielle I'm so glad that you love pumping. Good Luck with it all. Let us know how it contines to go:)

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

*throws confetti* YAY! I'm so glad it's working out so far!! Keep us updated!

8. Danielle2008

Oh geez, pumping is fun...let me tell ya...I am sure it will wear off eventually though:p

So far, numbers have been great. I am a bit surprised seeing they really lowered everything.

You know what I love? The IOB feature. When I went to lunch today, I checked my BG which had dropped to 87, put in the carbs(55grams), and it gave me a suggested bolus of 3.05...taking into account I had some insulin on board from my correction earlier. It is so exact!! If felt so nice pushing a button, and knowing the bolus was being delivered with no shot! I just did the two hour check, and I am now at 97...I am waiting and seeing what it does next. I have .05 on board still.

Just gotta say this all again, it is so neat!!

Kiersten, You have been going at D for much longer then me, I can only imagine how exciting it will be for you once Leo Lime is live. Seriously, I hope you love it:)

Emily, Woohoo Confetti!!:D

ETA: I just re-tested, and I am at 102....says no insulin on board. Waiting and seeing now.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. Danielle2008

Well, first bump in the road:rolleyes:

When I put the batteries that came with the PDM in this morning, they were already half life(great...right?). Anyway, my trainer told me it was fine, and that they would last until Saturday for my Pod change.

So I go to puppy training class, hear my PDM beeping(or so I thought) walked over and looked...didn't see anything so I put it back.

Done with Puppy training and I go to test my blood sugar...the PDM will not turn on...push loads of buttons...no response.

Battery is dead...nice warning, eh?:rolleyes:

Anyway, getting new batteries now, and will be calling Insulet to see if it will have issues 'connecting' with the Pod I already have on. As my pump trainer seemed to believe you only change battery with Pod changes(anyone know why?).

Other then that...still enjoying pumping.

ETA: Tested my BG on my Aviva and I am 82...obviously th Pod is still delivering basal

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

welcome to the pump club

11. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Yay! I know it is overwhelming and annoying sometimes, but after the fiirst little while, it is just life. It gets funner once you have everything fine-tuned and you can tart messing with extended boluses and stuff.

Oh, and the IOB, it only calculates iob for corrections, not meals. For example, if you had forty carbs and took 2 units and tested 2 hours later and you were high, it would suggest a full correction. Just thought I would give you a heads up. I accidentaly did what it suggested and went down to 50 because it does not count the IOB for bolusing except for corrections.:eek:

12. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

Good Luck ;) I'm currently waiting on mine to come in.

13. Danielle2008

Thanks for the tip Jordan! I will definitely be aware of that:)

Just did my first Pod Change this morning. The most difficult part was getting the bubbles out of the syringe. I did something which made loads come out again:eek:. I got them all out(I hope), but I guess I will find out by my numbers later.

So far, still loving the pump. I love the freedom, and the ability to do 'small' corrections(that I wouldn't have been able to do with shots). My numbers have been pretty good, too.

I am so happy I made the decision to start the Omnipod, best one I could have made!!