- advertisement -

Wisdom teeth? To pull or not to pull...?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by obtainedmist, Feb 21, 2011.

  1. obtainedmist

    obtainedmist Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1,537
    Just got back from the dentist. Her wisdom teeth are coming in straight and there is room for them. Only issue is that keeping them well taken care of can be hard due to the awkward position once they grow in. We were scheduled to have them removed the summer Mol was dx'd and cancelled. Now we are questioning...should we or not.

    Just wanted to know if any of you had any difficulties with the surgery and D.
    Thanks for any input!
     
  2. mishcoto

    mishcoto Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    Messages:
    218
    My son, type 1, now 16, diagnosed 6 years ago has to have his wisdom-teeth out but not quite yet. He just got his braces off 6 months ago, and the dentist said he doesn't need them out yet, but will, or his teeth might go crooked again. My non-D daughter had hers out last summer no problem. I am not looking forward to our son having his out, but I'm sure the surgeon who does them has had type 1 kids before.
    I wouldn't do it if it wasn't needed.
     
  3. Trev

    Trev Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2011
    Messages:
    145
    Crazy Coincidence

    I just, like a week ago had a tooth(molar)extraction, already healed up, you have to check out my post, but maybe don't let your kids see it. Also, when I was in my teens and a type 1, I had all my wisdom teeth extracted, with no issues. As long as the sugar levels are in range, its all good.
    I titled the post, "Tooth Fairy at my age Seriously? http://www.three2treat.com/2011/02/tooth-fairy-at-my-age-seriously.html
     
  4. txmom

    txmom Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Messages:
    55
    My 16 year old D son also needs to get his out. I spoke with the endo and she reminded me to tell them that he should not have steroids for the swelling as it causes highs. She also recommended that we lower his Lantus by 1 (10%) 2 days before the surgery. I too am delaying schedulding this procedure.

    My non D 18 year old daughter had hers out this summer with no problems.
     
  5. quiltinmom

    quiltinmom Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    1,188
    I say, the sooner the better. What does your endo say? What does your dentist say? Those are the opinions that really matter. :)

    I'm non-D so this may not answer your question, but I didn't have mine out until after I'd had 2 kids...which was a pain. I waited far too long. If there's a pretty good chance she'll have to have them out eventally, my vote is to have them out sooner than later.

    As long as the surgeon knows she's T1, and knows how to handle it, it should be fine. Your endo should also have some tips on how to take care of everything after the surgery.

    Good luck!
     
  6. Wyoparents

    Wyoparents Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2010
    Messages:
    11
    As a dentist and parent of a diabetic kid, I would say go ahead and get them out. One of the biggest problems with wisdom teeth in people that actually have room for them is how difficult they are to keep clean. Typically the wisdom teeth have more gingival pocketing around them that collects bacteria--something we don't want hanging around in our diabetic kids.

    If the wisdom teeth are coming in straight, usually the surgery is less invasive and healing is pretty quick. When they are impacted, things can be more difficult--my biggest concerns then would be being able to eat, pain control, nausea from pain meds, and keeping levels in check.

    Do they have to come out? No, but healing is much quicker after wisdom teeth extraction when you're younger.
     
  7. obtainedmist

    obtainedmist Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1,537
    Great information. Thank you! Our dentist actually encourages us to wait because she feels they are easier to heal once they are up...as long as they are growing straight and there is room, like we have. The endo thinks there is no problem...offered to take them out himself (joking :)). I'm skittish because our son had two dry sockets and was in awful pain for an entire week with his surgery. I think we'll revisit it this summer and get a consultation with an oral surgeon. Thanks, also, for the heads up on the steroids. I wonder, though, if keeping the swelling down is worth upping the basal amount to account for the steriods.
     
  8. linda

    linda Approved members

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,303
    wow----Em had hers out this past November...we were so afraid of the dry socket, she did have some pain, swelling was pretty bad, her sugars were in check though and had no problems there, i guess we would have been ready with mini gulucagon if necessary, (cant sip through straw can cause "dry socket" as you mentioned..).and obviously with pain swelling and discomfort they are not interested in eating much. We got lots of carvel shakes...spoon fed. Emmys were way impacted "bony impacted"...so was more invasive and complicated, took a little while to heal up but did heal nice as per dentist. Good Luck. I do know if it is suggested that they are removed and this is not done as suggested many complications much worse can arise.
     
  9. mishcoto

    mishcoto Approved members

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    Messages:
    218
    I didn't think of them being good hiding places for bacteria, good point! I had mine out as an adult also. Over a week of terrible, terrible aching. I didn't have dry sockets either. Much easier healing when done young.:)
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice