- advertisement -

Wireless pumps/CGMs vulnerable to hacking

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by krisfitz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. krisfitz

krisfitz Approved members

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

3. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I think the real potential for harm here is what these stories are likely to do to the FDA process for bringing new pumps and sensors so market.

4. jwhit26

jwhit26 Approved members

Ugh...

This guy has way too much time on his hands and the incitement of fear just makes me angry. As pumpers, or parents of pumper, there is enough to worry about without things like this.

Maybe I am not seeing the whole picture, but this does not seem like something to waste our time worrying about.

5. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

in utero...

I just read an article linking vit D deficiency and diabetes. Not sure what to think about it, but take that Vit D!!! No sense in not?!

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

So true. (too short)

7. karri

karri Approved members

Well looks like there is a new hack. And even more publicity. New hack

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

Wow - that is way worse than the story from last summer.

Part of it reads:

He has discovered a way to scan a public space from up to 300 feet away, find vulnerable pumps made by Minneapolis-based Medtronic Inc., and force them to dispense fatal insulin doses. Jack doesn?t need to be close to the victim or do any kind of extra surveillance to acquire the serial number, as Radcliffe did.

From reading the article it looks like other researchers discovered this issue in 2010 but presented it quietly to the pump company (companies?).

9. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Not familiar with Medtronics, but I didn't think their pump had a remote that controlled the pump, so why would it be receiving a wireless signal?:confused: Due to the CGMS components? Just trying to understand.
    We have the Ping, so obviously the potential is there.

10. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

Medtronics does have a very simple remote, it is very similar to the B button on the pump. The only feature it has is bolus

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Medtronic does have a basic remote. They also have a wireless linked meter, integrated CGM and MySentry capability.

This is just super. Obviously it needs to be dealt with, but it probably means innovation will be that much slower while they fix this issue.