- advertisement -

Will I need to numb the site?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Deacon, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Deacon and I head to Peoria next Friday to hook him up for the saline trial. Will I need to numb him or should I just put in a site without numbing?

--Sara

2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

This is a tough one. We don't numb the site but Erin was 9 when she started pumping. You know Deacon the best-how does he do with his shots? Does he handle the immunizations well? I think if you think he might be bothered, your best bet is to numb so that you start off on the right foot. If, however, he handles those things relatively well then in my opinion it would be better to do without so that you don't end up having to do it. The downside to numbing is that it takes time to set in and sometimes with pumping (unfortunately more often in the beginning) you will have to do last minute site changes and that makes it harder. Erin feels the poke but gets over it really quickly.

3. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sara, I think this is a personal dicussion for you to make.. Cayden is 4 and been pumping since Oct (at which time he was 3), we have never numbed the site before and it really hasn't been a major problem for us.. He tends to not want to do site changes but only cries a second.. The last time we did one, we held a piece of ice on the spot for like 3 minutes and then did the site change, that seemed to help alot.. I kinda had the theory to try it without and see how it goes first.. Because sometimes when you have to do emergency site changes you really dont have time to numb it and if they arent use to that it could not be a fun experience.. Anyways, think about which you prefer and how you think Deacon will handle things and try to basis your decision on that... Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!

4. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

It is a personal choice. Erik started pumping when he was 3 and we have never used ice or numbing cream. If we started with that pattern and had an emergency and had to put it in with no numbing cream it would be ugly. For us it was a decision to never use it so he would not know the difference. He is very good about site changes in general. He doesn't like the tummy sites, but he tolerates them.

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We used EMLA from the start - the first site put in at the saline trial. I think that if we hadn't have used it she would've not been as thrilled with going through with the live pump start. The only time that I haven't used EMLA is once in the nighttime when it was a kinked cannula. Then I did it with the numbing cream and she jolted right up out of a deep sleep and said "THAT NEEDLE HURTS!"

If we had an emergency situation, she would just have to deal with it, but day to day I want to minimize her pain as much as possible.

Like the others said - your decision, though! :)

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think so - I think it takes the fear out - he - and you - will already be anxious! Why add to it? Will you be prepared for a screaming 3 yr old AND pump start?

7. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Chris has only been pumping for a few weeks. The first site he did the cream. Every site change since he has not. Chris doesn't seem to mind it at all - he is 10, so he might be older.

Good Luck!!! fyi - Chris is doing a great job with his pump - we are really happy with it. :)

8. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Erik was 3 when we started and no numbing cream and he was not a screaming 3 year old. It was done in a calm soothing way and he did good. Each child is different so I don't know how it will be with you.

9. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

We are another one not using numbing cream. Zane had just turned 2 when we started pumping, and no problems. We "reward" with suckers every site change now and he does not mind at all. This is the only time he gets candy. :)

Good luck with you pump start!

10. Mom2Deacon

Deacon handles shots very well and he is looking forward to the pump next week. He wishes it was today. I do not want him to feel that the pump site hurts and ruin it all for him. That is my fear. But I cannot tell if he will feel that it hurts or not.

--Sara

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

Personally, I found it quite helpful to do a site at home before we went in for our pump start. A rep came to our house and showed us how to do it. I did one on myself first. Then the rep did one on Molly. It really did reduce the fear and doing it in the comfort of our own home helped quite a bit.

ETA: we decided to forego the EMLA. We do have it on hand..and did when we did pump start but decided not to let her know it was an option. It worked in our favor and all is great!

12. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

one thing i would consider is what set are you going to be using if it has a device that inserts it those are so fast it may not be such a big deal but the angeled sets especially the ones where you do a manual insertion like the comfort shorts i would sugest it ....our first insertion done at the office we didnt use the elma cream but this was for a animas set that had an inserter and went straight in, i had one also put on me and you could barely feel it but we decided that the comfort shorts were the best set for us to use when we actually started live and used the cream for that, i also have put one of those on myself and there is a big differance...hence why we use elma for her site changes

13. Mom2Deacon

He will be using the Animas Insets that have an automatic inserter.

--Sara

14. kallygirl

kallygirl Approved members

Congratulations first of all on your pump start!

We started Quinn at 22 months and never used anything. He doesn't even flinch when we do site changes. He lays on the bed and watches cartoons on his tummy and we do his butt sites. Maybe when we do tummy eventually it might be different, but for now it is such a good experience and he has no clue what we are doing.

And, he used to cry when we did his shots, so big difference!

Kathy

15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

We used Emla a few times for the sets with Zoe, but then quickly went to ice. (Ice only takes about a minute to numb the area...and hopefully if an emergency site change needs to take place you can get it from a restaraunt, food court, fridge, etc.) After a few weeks of ice, she really didn't care. Now we use nothing!) Morgan never used anything, and she used the long needle sets that she inserted SLOWLY herself, and never flinched. Kids are amazing!

16. Lance

Lance Approved members

We tried these on ourselves before trying on Zane, and we were surprised that we really couldn't even feel them. They're quick and virtually painless. :rolleyes: Really. :D

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Just know that the Insets are a bit loud, so some kids get freaked out by the sound. Do the first site where you know they have a lot of pudge - like his bottom. I wouldn't try the belly on a straight in site at his age because you may hit something that hurts.