- advertisement -

Why MDI?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We live in both worlds at our house too.
    My husband has been on shots for over 20 years with mostly good control and a1c's (there's been a few bumps in the road but who doesn't have those with D?). He has recently talked about a pump and even tried Connor's old MM522 for a couple weeks but is still not ready to give up what he knows and is used to and what works for him.

Connor started pumping just shy of 4 months after dx. Pumping is what works best for him and he has no desire to do shots.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both and each person has to choose what works best for them.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Here's what I've actually wondered about when seeing your signature- Why one Humalog user and one Novolog user?

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

It's great to hear from all of you who have different experiences in your households. I'd actually love to see lots of "Why MDI?" or "Why Pump?" or "Why ___"?" stories from everyone's personal decision making viewpoints. I think it's fascinating how different families weigh factors before deciding what's best for them and/or their child. It makes us more real, I think :).

As for the question from LantusFriend about two different fast-acting insulins - one for Connor and one for Brian, I had to ask Brian because I didn't know. He said, "It's what the doctor prescribed for me. I've used Novolog too. Either one's fine." So, no big reason. They're the same to him. Thrilling answer, right?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Same here... I've been on MDI for long lengths of time, and I do reasonably well on it, but I prefer pumping because it just feels more convenient, despite a few downsides (mostly dealing with site issues when they happen). I do have to say that after pumping I felt better prepared to succeed on MDI, but that was in the days before Think Like a Pancreas. There is more knowledge about MDI and making the insulin work for you, rather than working around the insulin, than there was when I was first on MDI.

I'm all for people deciding what is best for them... I only get irritated when I run into the anti-pump types who have never tried it. I completely respect trying something and not liking it - at least you gave it a shot, but to swear off something based on assumptions is just silly.

My neighbor is on shots - she's tried pumping several times, and it's just not for her. She's older, and MDI has worked for her for a very long time.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

We're not anti-pump at all. I'm not sure if you read my original post? There are numerous reasons that we don't pump, but none of those reasons are because of assumptions. What assumptions are you talking about?

6. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

We actually go back and forth, Daniel prefers the pod just for convience but he only likes to use his legs and the adhesive has been an issue..no scar tissue yet so he will pump for a few months..then do MDI for a few months. He really has no trouble with either..although this summer he has mostly been on MDI and we were so busy it seemed like by the time we got everything right and started having some great numbers he switched back the pod and we had to start over. I like that he is so comfortable with using both.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I didn't mean specifically at you - I've run into other PWD's who have had D for a very long time who won't even try a pump.

8. momandwifeoftype1s

Oh, okay. I misunderstood. Sorry about that! :eek: But...Perhaps they have a complex story too, and you just don't know it? I dread the "Do you pump question?" because generally people don't mean it to be a long, drawn out conversation. I just usually say, "No. He prefers shots for now." I leave it at that unless they want to know more or give me the "You should pump because this, this and this. And often it's someone who knows someone who pumps, and they tell me how pumping has made made diabetes go away for the person they know. Like it's a magic cure for diabetes or a device that does everything for you. Then I feel compelled to not only explain how pumping actually works, but then also go into a longer conversation about why we don't pump. I cannot even count the times when I've had some version or another of this conversation.

9. momandwifeoftype1s

Erica - I can see a version of something like this being what Connor ultimately decides to do. He has eczema, so I thought until recently that the pod would not be a good choice. I've read on here about some good choices for a barrier wipe, so that's helpful information. I'm glad to hear that Daniel is doing well!

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I should probably stay out of this thread (!:p), but I come from the perspective where I was just dead flat-out wrong when I was assessing the benefits and downsides of pumping before we tried it. I think I mentioned in the other thread that the things that concerned me the most turned out to be complete non-issues, and things that I didn't even consider are the things that are the biggest pains in the rear end. So when I see people mentioning the things that I worried about that turned out to be not a big deal in the least as reasons they don't pump, I sort of inwardly scream, "No! That's not a big deal at all!" Of course, I don't know if it would be, in practice for them or not, but my point is that they may not know for sure either. :eek:

And (again, this is ME, personally), when I was making the decision, I focused almost exclusively on the downsides to pumping without giving the benefits a whole lot of thought, or kind of pushing them aside to focus on what I was afraid of. I don't know if that's human nature or something in my personality, but thinking back on it, it's what I did.

I know pretty much all the reasons why people choose MDI over pumping. And the reasons why they choose pumping over MDI. What would be more interesting to me are the reasons why people won't TRY pumping. (This is not directed at you, Amy, but just sort of a general musing. It sounds to me that your reason is financial, which I know is a consideration for many folks.)

11. momandwifeoftype1s

You want me to start another thread on why not to try pumping? Ummm...no. Maybe I'm not actually getting what you just wrote above? I actually kind of wish this one would die. Where's the thread killers when we need them? I'm bored of my own thread. Is that bad?

And I know this is not at all what you want to hear, Karla. But I think every person with diabetes has a right to just say, "I don't want a pump." And that's that. There doesn't really need to be a reason IMO. It's their body; their disease. I can only have a real opinion about my own family members' diabetes because I know our family intimately. Every situation is unique. Every person is unique. That's just how I feel :eek:.

Now, I think it would be a good thing if someone asked you for your help in determining whether to pump or MDI to give your pros and cons. Tell them what concerns you had and how those things ended up not being a problem after all. It is helpful! Actually, now that I've shared our family's "Why MDI?" story, I would love to hear your "Why Pump?" story. I squirrel that information away and I listen. I love different perspectives, and I would like to hear yours! Pretty please :D.

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Karla, I totally get what you are saying and wish that my son would at least try a pump. He has dawn phenomenon issues that would be so easy to fix with a pump, but I never bring it up anymore because he just doesn't see the point. He has seen enough problems with the pumps over the years that he just can't see the value in them. It is the same as when I read about the issues with the Omnipod and the ???? on the Dexcom. I only focused on that and thought people would be crazy to put up with it. Once I realized that the problems are few and far between, with plenty of smooth sailing, I was really glad that I made the decisions that I did.

And the biggest thing to me is that my daughter is happy, and I am not having to watch her give herself shots all day long.

13. hawkeyegirl

Nope! You missed my edit. And of course everyone has the right to say, "I don't want to pump," and that's that. I know there doesn't need to be an articulatable reason. My son's dentist is T1, and every time he sees Jack and his pump he says, "Man, I really need to get one of those." And the next time we go back, he says the same thing. ;) From what he says, his reason not to pump is simple inertia, and that's fine too.

I can be curious about people's reasons not to try pumping without demanding to hear their reasons. I mean, you seem to be accusing me of saying that it's NOT OKAY if you don't have a reason not to try pumping. Of course it's okay. Everyone has a right to bodily autonomy. (I suspect that we differ quite a bit in our opinion as to a child's bodily autonomy, but again, different parenting views. There is no "right.") What I was saying above is that I've read a billion threads about why people MDI or why they pump. I know all those reasons. I don't know the reasons people don't try pumping, and I'm curious about that. I certainly was not demanding that you start a thread about why YOU don't try pumping.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between me wanting to hear why people won't try pumping (this made you very defensive) and you wanting to hear why we pump, but if you're sincere about wanting to hear why we pump, here goes:

We tried both, and pumping beats MDI in all situations other than swimming and waterpark days. I think we could solve that by switching to the Pod, which may be in our future when our warranty is done with MM. I was an absolute massive wreck in the weeks before we started pumping, wondering if we made the right choice. So it was a hard choice for us before we tried it, and very easy after we tried it. :eek:

ETA: My main concerns before we started pumping were him pulling the sites off (he was young, with sensory issues); him being "attached" to something all the time; the pump being a constant reminder of D; and failed sites. The sites never bothered him; he was no more "attached" to his pump than he was to his underwear; we never forget about D anyway; and we've had one truly failed site in 3+ years of pumping. The benefits are many, and I'd list those, but I doubt anyone is interested by this point. ;)

14. momandwifeoftype1s

Why wouldn't I want to hear about why you pump? I am being sincere. Why wouldn't I be? Thank you for sharing what you did above. I'm not accusing you of anything. Am I? I think we're more on the same page than I thought we were, actually. :cwds:

15. hawkeyegirl

No, I just feel like I made you mad again when I brought up wanting to know why people don't try pumping. It was coming from a place of true curiosity, as opposed to being accusatory.

I guess I just wish that someone would have told me what LisaP. often says to folks who are trying to make this decision. And that (paraphrased) is, "Why not just try it? If you don't like it, stick it back in the box and go back to MDI." For whatever reason (maybe because we were fairly newly diagnosed, maybe because of my Type A personality), this honestly never occurred to me when I was agonizing over whether to pump or whether to use CGM. It's not like once you try it you have to continue with it. Try it and like it, great! Keep using it. Try it and hate it, great! You know that MDI is better for you and go with that. I think the whole process could have been a lot less stressful for me if I would have looked at it that way rather than the warped way in which my brain was approaching the issue.

Now, I know there are some folks who pay thousands of dollars OOP for a pump or a CGM, and obviously there is a lot more at stake if they don't like it. Makes total sense to me. And frankly inertia makes total sense to me. But I think if more people thought about why they don't want to even give it a try, maybe there'd be one or two out there who realize that they don't really have a reason not to, and they might end up in a place where both they and their child are happier. And there might be one or two out there who realize that they don't really have a reason not to, and they might learn that MDI is the best choice for them, and they don't have to give pumping another thought.

What it comes down to is that I think people could benefit from looking at the reasons they don't want to try pumping/CGM and decide for themselves if those reasons are "good" reasons (TO THEMSELVES) or not.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im right here Amy:) Sorry, hurricane damage and no power so I didnt see this when you posted. Steven is 10, diagnosed at age 3 still MDI. We are comfortable doing what we're doing. His endo and former endo have tried to force him to pump. His endo insisted that we go to a pump class to find out about pumps. The CDE at this class (not ours) was a pompous, know it all who treated the class as if it were an infomercial. I was NOT impressed. She said that she wants all of her patients on pumps and doesnt understand why parents dont put their kids on pumps ASAP after diagnosis. First of all, she doesnt have diabetes nor does she have a CWD. Also, she doesnt live my life or understand what we parents of CWD go through 24/7. She only knows what she sees in the clinic which is only numbers on charts and a miniscule part of someones life.

I also wanted to add that Karla would NEVER judge anyone else on their CWD diabetes management. She always wants whats best for her kid and everyone elses. Ive found that she is very caring and compassionate and really helpful in the forums

17. momandwifeoftype1s

One thing that is lost in the virtual world is emotion. If you knew me in the real world, you'd know that I have a perma-grin and am very silly. When I get mad (which is very rare), I get silent. I don't keep posting or talking. So...you definitely didn't make me mad. You'd know if I was mad because I'd walk away from the computer and CWD.

I don't know why I am engaged in a debate with a lawyer. I must be very stupid :p.

18. hawkeyegirl

Not stupid in the least! My problem is that I argue for a living and then go have a beer with the person who I've been arguing with, so I tend to forget about the emotional factor on a board like this. :eek:

The ironic (hypocritical?) thing about this is that we haven't tried everything out there. Many people on here swear by Apidra, and I've let our endo talk us out of it twice without putting up a fight. Now we don't see a long tail with Novalog, and we don't see big meal spikes (two of the things that Apidra solves for many people), but still. Maybe it would have a great benefit for us that I am not even considering. My reason for not trying it IS inertia, and not wanting to disrupt a spring break or summer vacation upsetting the apple cart by trying an insulin that requires major ratio and basal changes for most people. :cool:

I keep saying we're going to try it. We really should try it.

19. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Bottom-line, this post is about whether you force something on your child that is "best for them" or wait until they are more willing to try it. My daughter went from "no way" to "I want a pump" without me forcing it. We just kept the dialogue open.

And FYI....these lovely compliant children you all can control now grow up to be teens who will resist that control with every ounce of willfullness they have.

20. momandwifeoftype1s

You know what? I feel like breaking into song.

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer.... :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you're saying, Karla. My sister and I will argue things to death, and then we'll go have a beer together. She is my sister and my best friend.

I am stepping away from the computer for awhile, so don't think I'm mad ;). I am simply leaving to go have lunch with a friend and running errands. I'll respond to other posts when I'm back home from life in RL. Hope you all have a great day!