- advertisement -

Why MDI?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Aug 31, 2011.

1. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Like others, I'm also curious about the decision-making and reasons for or against a certain treatment method. Good to know and apply to my own life.

I've been pumping for 10 years, since my early 20s. Love it for the flexibility and convenience, and it's helped me get my A1c down to low 6s at various times.

But I've taken breaks, the first being a five-month hiatus in mid-2010. Because honestly, it eventually got to be too much emotional baggage thinking about the site changes every few days and trying to find new real estate. My A1c dropped a whole percentage point, and made me more accountable and careful - because I didn't have that flexibility.

Went back on and did fine, and still love my pump, but three weeks ago went on another hiatus.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but am certainly a fan of both MDI and pumping - and go by the mantra of "do whatever's best for you."

Thanks for sharing this. Good topic to discuss.

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

But when the free market One Replacement Pancreas Fits All hits the shelves...Katie bar the door!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's only five years away, doncha know?

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yep, we left the hospital with the pump hooked on. Our lovely Cozmo. Miss that pump! Changed to the MM522 last year. I cannot tell you hoe freaked out I was when the nurse came into the hospital room and told us "Here, this is what your son will be using and you have to change the site yourselves.":eek::(
    Most people here have the pump. Some are on MDI. I've heard one family who's son was 10 at dx and he absolutely did not want to have the pump because he felt embarrassed around his friends. Whether he had the pump and gave it up to MDI, I don't know.

PS - we do have a pen needle in case there's a problem, but have only use it a couple of times during very high ketones.
    FYI, we just got our very first script for Levemir. We had Insulatard (NPH) as backup all these years (all Insulatard was thrown away expired).

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ORPFA? Doesn't she have a talk show?

6. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

To the OP - Thank you for your perspective. I like to hear why people choose to manage their diabetes in a certain way because, should their situation ever pertain to my son I would like to help him with his choices and options.

7. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

I'm kinda new here (dd dx 6/23/11 and on MDI) and love reading all the post about pumps and MDI... and now know there are advantages and disadvantages to both from reading here, thanks to you all.

Please, never fell you have to explain yourself to anyone! Do what is best for you and yours :D!!!!

Well, since a lot of others are answering with very good reasons on why they are on MDI, guess I will to. But not with a good reason like the others, lol :eek: Vanity is the best word I can use, she would rather take shots and not have a pump. She doesn't mind people knowing or taking shots in public. She will not even consider it at this point and that is fine with me.

It is her decision but I support her on it, no matter what the reason;)

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

:p Amy - no explanation necessary but it was fun to read.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We met a family from Canada while we were camping recently that were using NPH or whatever it is called over there. The boy had forgotten his test strips at home and they asked for a ride to go to the pharmacy and would have had to pay out of pocket for them. The boy is a foster child that was taken away from his mother for not caring for him and he had been in DKA many times in just the last 2 years. Even though he is only 13, they expected him to pack everything that he needed and he simply forgot. We carry tons of extras including a spare meter and strips, so we found out how to do the conversion for the meter and loaned it to them along with the test strips.
    When the dad told me that he had been 80 something all day, I thought that he must be kidding, but I checked the meter after they returned it, and sure enough, he was under 100 all day and night long. I was suggesting he might want to look into a pump for him before I saw that! I was really shocked because they didn't seem to know too much and he was eating popsicles and other goodies. He did have a couple of slight lows in there but they were swimming and playing, so understandable. The boy was in bad shape when they got him and has gained over 30 pounds since being with them and he is not overweight. Hard to believe that some parent's are so neglectful. Hopefully he will not pay a high price for that neglect later.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Is this thread where you meant to post this?

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I know that I did not need to explain. I wanted to tell our story because I like to write, and it was helpful for me to write out the reasons that we are MDIers. It organizes my thoughts to put them in writing. I just wanted to give some insight into the complex decision making process that we have been going through as a family.

Karla - I respect you and all that you bring to the forums. I'm sorry if this came off as an attack on you, because that was never my intention. I wrote this thread because you asked (I thought?) why we are MDIers, and I didn't want to dig through all my old posts. It was easier to just write it out in a new thread. I wanted you (and others) to know that a decision to do MDI instead of pumping has so many variables - every family's personal situation differs. I just shared mine. You are welcome to disregard it. Maybe somebody else will care about what I chose to share. Maybe not. And that's okay too. I'm not in a snit (is that even a word?) about it. I've just been gone all afternoon. Soooo...sorry for the slow response.

Some day, I may be on the other side of the fence explaining our decision making process in deciding to pump. Who knows what the future will bring? I really hope it brings that ORPFA in 5 years or so :rolleyes:.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, and I'm sorry that my post(s?) came off in a way that I did not intend in the least. I tend to post fast (and a lot :rolleyes:), and probably do not always weigh my words as carefully as I should. I sincerely apologize, and hope that no one believes that I look down on MDI as a way to manage D.

13. momandwifeoftype1s

Thank you, Karla. I really appreciate that. I know that you know that we're all in this together :).

14. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

As usual if I join a party it's way too late. But I had to say, Karla you have probably answered more of my silly questions here than some of the folks who are on MDI have. So thank you for that.

And I personally have never been given the impression by anyone on this site, that MDI is frowned upon. I have felt that way recently with some folks I met in person, but unless those folks plan to pay for us to have a pump they can bite my....... anyway. This site is honestly the one place where I have been able to see that quite a few folks are sticking with MDI and we are not the only ones who find a way to make it work. To each his own. :cwds:

15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I think D can be managed successfully with MDI or pumps! The one thing I wouldnt go without now, though is the CGMS. It really helps me see the trends. That's how I knew about the dawn phenomenon happening (that's how this whole discussion started in the first place!). I got lots of good insights, support, and suggestions that were very appreciated. That is what this forum is for..and meeting great people like Amy!

16. momandwifeoftype1s

I agree, Sharon! And actually, I'd rather get a CGMS for Connor before I'd get a pump for him. I'd really like to be able to know if his numbers are going up or down - much better information than just a number. Our doctors are fully supportive of just a CGMS...when the time is right for our family (if ever). I'm glad you got the information you were looking for on your thread. I'm sorry it got de-railed. That's why I started this new thread - to get out of yours :eek:. I hope we continue to stay in touch for many years, even after our move. You are such a kind, intelligent woman!

17. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Just a little note for those that don't look into pumping because money is tight as it is (PS: I'm a broke single Mom of 2)! My DD switched to the pump at the end of July and it is cheaper for us for her to be pumping then on MDI. Sounds bizarre but very true! I paid co-pays for all supplies on MDI but my insurance covers all pump supplies with no co-pays. Of course I still co-pay for insulin.

18. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Just adding my view on MDI since we have used MDI since Andy was 10 months old. Mainly we use it because his A1C is good and the daily control is good. It works pretty well for his routine (not perfect, but what is?). Endo is on board even though most patients pump now. If Andy is ever interested in it, then I'm all for the pump, but until then ... if it ain't broke ... don't fix it! :D

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Glad you've found a good fit for your family. :) We loved MDI, and were very hesitant to start pumping, but we were just the opposite, financially, it was much cheaper, so we took the plunge.

This is how it is for us as well, we only pay a copay for our insulin $35, and our test strips $15 ... all of the Omnipod "stuff" is covered at 100% by our insurance.

I think it's great that people here all find different ways to manage their CWD. It's a lot of work, and collective thought helps us all. I don't believe there's one "right" way to do it, you have to just do what works for you best.

20. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I live in both worlds - my DH is on a pump and Audrey is on MDI. When she was diagnosed, we just assumed that we would get her on a pump as soon as possible, but she didn't want one. She's seen my husband's pump, knows all the benefits (and downsides), and even tried one for a week, but it just isn't for her. After going to camp, where she was one of only eight kids on MDI, she came back more adamant than ever that a pump is not her. :cwds:

I can see the pluses and minuses of both approaches, and I think my husband and daughter are both doing what works best for them. I think that's what it comes down to for most of us.