- advertisement -

Why is it....

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Danielle2008, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

...that every time I go to eat everyone naturally assumes I am low??

It has been frustrating me to no end lately. Why can't a person have a snack because they feel like it.:confused::rolleyes:

Seriously, if I open the cupboards I feel like all eyes are on me. The government should hire them for undercover surveillance....

Tonight I decided to have a glass of milk. Bolused for 13g(BG was 113), and poured myself a glass. My dad in the other room(with the door shut I should say) suddenly goes, "Dani you need help?" how did he know I was in the kitchen....??...he's good:eek:

Me, "No...why?" I knew what he was getting at when he asked....

Him, "Oh just making sure you aren't low..."

Now believe me, I know they do this because they love me. But Jeez, can't a person pour themselves a glass of milk in peace these days? LOL

Sigh, gotta love the parents. I don't know what is worse:

Being the last of 5 kids at home(this is terrible enough...I miss my siblings!)

or being the last of 5 kids at home with Type 1 Diabetes;)

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I know how you feel! My mom does stuff like that all the time. :rolleyes:

"Malyssa...what's you bg?"
    "I'm 89 mom"
    "WHAT!? That's too low!"

:eek: She drives me nuts! I love being in the 80's, and that was a good number! She just worries, I guess, but still...c'mon- 89!? :rolleyes: I'm just thankful she wasn't with me when I was in the 20's! I think she would have had a heart attack. :eek:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Haha, same with my parents. They don't actually do anything to HELP with my D, but my mum asked how things were going yesterday because I was sick, and when I reluctantly told her that I had trace ketones, she freaked.

"YOU DO KNOW YOU CAN DIE VERY QUICKLY FROM KETONES!?"

"Uhm, mum, I've got trace ketones, I strongly doubt whether I'm going to die."

I'm glad she didn't see me when I was at 29 - she thinks anything below 100 is low.

4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I have the same problem, if I want a snack, they (esp. Dad, not mom so much) think I'm low, and if I'm tired then I MUST be high. And my mom also doesn't like numbers below 100 unless it's mealtime.

5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I knew if I posted this you all would be able to relate!!;):)

LOL, that is one thing I will give my parents credit for....they no longer freak out by good 'lower' numbers. My CDE actually makes me feel bad about it though. She doesn't like me being in the 80's, she wants me to feel low in the 80's in fact. Unless I am about to go do an activity, 80 is fine to me.

20's:eek:! Yea that is a little low LOL!

Sorry to hear you are sick! Understandably, I can see why parents would freak about any ketones, but I totally understand how you felt when she responded like that!

Hope you feel better soon.

Are you sure your parents aren't my parents??;) They are exactly the same way. Also, if I am grumpy(I.E. just got off of work and it was a stressful day there) they assume my BG's are doing something wacky, which in turn, makes me more grumpy LOL

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I hate it when parents are like that. The worst was when I was going to eat A munchkin from dunkin donuts yesterday (ONE!!!!) and my mom says to me "KIERSTEN! You can't eat that. You are a diabetic." Excuse me? :eek:
    Or when you are hungry so you want a snack and all you get is "Kiersten, you sure you're allowed to eat that?" That bothers me more than anything.
    They mean well though, you know?:rolleyes:

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Family...got to love them. If I'm tired, my mom assumes I'm low. If I'm under 50 she freaks, I find it amusing to see lol. Ketones and Highs don't freak her out so much-she just says keep testing, correcting, and drinking. My dad does the whole you can't eat that can you?
    80-120 is my target. My mom, cde, and endo would love it if I was in the 80's.
    I would've laughed so hard if my mom had said that. I had trace ketones for 2-3 months after I was sick this summer (I stopped checking after a while), but children's said trace was okay. I can have large ketones and she doesn't seem to care. There was only one time I remember her freaking over high bg+ketones and that was when I was in the hospital last summer.

Even though it gets annoying Remember they do this because they love us and are trying to protect us.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Right, but after a while...
    Anyway, at least we find it amusing most of the time.

9. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

LOL! Thats how my mom is!!!
    "I'm 99"
    "OMG!" :rolleyes::eek:

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I work with my sister at Dunkin now. Today was actually my first day! :D
    Awe, well, I'm glad you had your munchkin!

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hahaha. I was reading the logbooks from when I was first dx'd.

"I was only 129 before bed, so mum gave me 6 crackers."

(6 of these crackers = 60g carbs)

No wonder why I woke up high every morning.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

HAHA! Oh jeez...sounds like my mom exactly! :rolleyes:

13. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

Uhg my mom is the same way!!! If i go to get some apple juice just because i want a drink
    she asks "are you low?"
    Me "No"
    Her "then why are you drinking juice?"
    Me "cuz i'm thirsty"

Gets annoying sometimes :rollseyes: