- advertisement -

Why is it ok...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by roo'smom, Oct 29, 2010.

1. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

To joke about diabetes, but other conditions/diseases are taboo? It's that time of year - Halloween - which is getting pretty blown out of proportion, IMO, but I digress. What set me off was a "friend's" FB update - alluding to "if you aren't already nearing a diabetic coma come to our churches' trunk or treat...". Granted, this person annoys me on a good day, so I should just take it with a grain of salt. I would like to reply something along the lines of "Ironically, diabetic comas are just as likely, if not more, to be caused by a LOW blood sugar, than a high one - crazy, right??", but it really isn't worth it. You would never hear anyone joke about cancer, asthma, autism, etc. that way. OK, vent over - thanks for listening!

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

IMHO I think perhaps it is because people are becoming used to hearing about the explosion of Type 2 diabetes in this country, (Except that often the "type 2" part is left off in the reports.)

And then people associate Type 2 with occuring because of lifestyle issues and controllable issues and that it is somehow OK to joke about it. Then Type 1 is lumped in there too.

I agree it is annoying! More annoying, for me, though are the continued: "Why can't your daughter just take a pill? That's what my Grandma does."

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

honestly, I'd reply not so nice, or simply state, thats not even remotely funny... and we probably wouldn't be friends anymore.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yeah, those type comments are annoying, but here's where I admit that before I was living this life, I might have made a similar comment. Folks on the outside really have NO CLUE. I had no clue. My mantra to stupid comments (the mantra in my head that is): I hope they never know how stupid they just sounded.

Cause I truly hope that no one I know has to go through this.

I'm with you on the annoyed, so don't take my comments the wrong way. It's definitely irritating, and I always debate whether or not to attempt to educate, but I rarely actually do, just not worth it.

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

If you do not say anything, she will never know how ignorant she sounds.

Before my son was dx'ed I probably would have made a comment like that too without thinking....but I would have felt terrible if I hurt someone with a careless comment and would want to know.

If you educate this person, she will probably 1. Say something like "wow I didn't know" or 2. Get upset and say that you are making something out of nothing....BUT either way, she will think next time. Mission accomplished.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

It's NOT ok. Speak up and tell her so.

7. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

I heard a guy saying something like ~ "that will put you in a diabetic coma" the other night in the candy aisle at Walmart. My blood instantly started to boil. I was shocked that an off-handed comment affected me like that. Then I told myself to just "let it go" because people just don't know how scary those two words really are unless their child is living with this horrible disease!

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Youre right:( there is nothing even remotely funny about a diabetic coma. This person needs to know that her dumb try at humor is an epic fail

9. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I don't think it's funny either. While I admit I knew NOTHING about Type1 before my son was diagnosed, I wouldn't have made jokes like this. I have several people in my life who are Type2 and I would have never wanted to offend them.

10. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I know! I love how people are such know-it-alls. Don't you think that if there was a pill, or diet, or ANYthing other than shots we would be doing it??? Aaaarrrgh... Sometimes I just get so tired of "educating":rolleyes:

11. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

argh. I would reply with a simple "my 7 year old with Type 1 Diabetes doesn't think your status update is really that funny".

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Im tired of the "diabetic police" telling me that its offensive that my child wears the "candy inspector" halloween T-shirt. :rolleyes: I certainly dont follow around anybody else with thier disease and give them the "why fors"

yea... whats wrong with a diabetic child wearing a "candy inspector" T-shirt? uuummm, he can eat any candy he wants.

why arent the "my son has a sister" police yelling at me for the "offensive" t-shirt that he wears with the saying, "who needs halloween, my sister is scary enough"

Today, its the toilet paper t-shirt, thats says, CANDY-or your house! :D Im so bad. Arrest me!

13. 4monkeez

4monkeez Approved members

I so agree! My answer to the pill thing would have to be "the same reason you don't take a pill to stop your ignorance and stupidity...it doesn't exist!!" It's just as annoying to me as the "be thankful it's not cancer" remark...I feel like saying " well DUH!!!!!" It still SUCKS!!!! :cool:

That being said..I have learned not to waste my energy on certain people...de-friend her!

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I found this for you....

Interesting, I don't see candy anywhere on this list, do you?;)

What Causes Diabetic Coma?

Causes of diabetic coma can include:

* Infection
    * Heart attack
    * Kidney failure
    * Medicines (diuretics, heart medication, or steroids)
    * Illness
    * Bleeding ulcer
    * Blood clot
    * Uncontrolled blood sugar

Here's the link
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/hyperglycemic-hyperosmolar-nonketonic-syndrome

15. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I personally don't think it's okay for society to joke about diabetes, and maybe I'm naive, but I haven't witnessed it. I don't think it's okay to joke about any disease. I'm sorry you had to put up with that ignorant remark from FB. Some people just don't have much tact. :mad:

16. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I think I'd consider the source. If a close friend or family member made a dumb comment, I'd probably send them a private message with the info that Heather provided, tell them that while I'm sure they meant no harm, kids like ours, who live with the fear of diabetes complications, probably wouldn't think it was funny and might find it hurtful or worse, make them afraid to enjoy themselves with all the other kids on Halloween.

However, since you say this person is someone who annoys you on a good day...I'd just let it go, and add it to the reasons why that person annoys me.

17. KHM

KHM Approved members

This is the best response I could imagine. I might tack on, "she'd love to tell you the real deal about the differences in types of diabetes if you have any real interest in knowing about the disease"

18. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I've become more and more sensitive to comments like that. Another one that makes me grit my teeth is the use of the word retarded. :mad:
    Have some class people.

19. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I take most jokes about everything with a grain of salt. With shows on like family guy which is fine but so not PC in anyway shape or form on tv more and more people just make jokes and dont think before they do. I am not uptight and use slang words for things all the time that isnt seen as being PC. I do have a line I wont cross tho and I think for many they just dont think period first.

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My deal is that if you're going to make a joke about a disease or other sensitive topic, it'd better be funny. My friend with cancer was hilarious about it, at times. I'd avoid the facebook person not because she was insensitive but because that's a dull sense of humor there. ... .really, Halloween and diabetic coma, how original. . . .:rolleyes: