- advertisement -

why doesn't anyone understand?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Specialk, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Specialk

Specialk Approved members

this is just a little story that I bet everyone has had. whenever there is like a plate of cookies going around with one of your friends passing them out they always say "oh you can't have one right, cause you can't have any sugar". Its just so annoying cause every time I tell my friends that I can the next thing that comes out of their mouthes is "i thought you couldn't have sugar". Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make your friends remember?

2. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

The only thing I can suggest is keep on telling them. That's what I did to one of my friends. I just told him over and over again and he finally shut up.

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Just keep telling them and explaining to them. Maybe invite them to a jdrf or ada walk and let them see other diabetics eating whatever as along as the cover with insulin. One of my bro's friends always says- aren't you not suppose to have a lot of sugar- I just tell her I can eat sugar like everyone else, in moderation. As long as I take insulin for the food, I can have it. When my blood sugar is too low I need to have sugar to bring it back up.
    Just educate and keep on educating

4. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

This bugs me so bad. Im like "how many times do i have to tell you, I CAN HAVE SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And then 5 min later they are like, can you have THAT? I'm like "OH MY GOSH!!!" EVERYONE SAYS IT ATLEAST TWICE A DAY! Then my friend asked the other day and i said "If I couldn't have sugar, why do you think i had that candy bar yesterday?" and she stopped asking me.

5. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

My best friend, when we are out at the mall and she wants icecream, will tell me " No you can't have that, you might slip into a diabetic coma" WTH. It really annoys me, but I just ignore her. I know more about my diabetes than she does:rolleyes:

6. Specialk

Thanks for the advice. It really does stink that most people don't even realize that we can have whatever we want as long as we cover for it.

7. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i guess i'm really lucky, my friends have never done that:cool:

8. kierbabi09

well lucky you;)
    I guess our friends just don't understand. Maybe they don't want to understand. if they don't then that is their loss, not mine. And not all friends are just like that.
    I think it is worse when your siblings are like that. my sisters like to tell me that diabetes is not serious and that you can't die from it. i just look at them like this:eek: After 3 years you would think they would know. I guess not, huh?

9. Specialk

Ladybug you are so lucky that your friends don't make any comments

10. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Ugh! My friend asked me like 15 times if i could eat something today! SHe wa slike, "Can you have milk" after I had already poured a glass of milk so i explained to her that i can have whatever i want. The she asked "well, can you have pizza?" after i had already started eating my pizza and i said it again. It was so annoying.

11. kierbabi09

I would have told her no and then took a big drink of milk/bite of pizza. I really hate it when people are like that. I would have been like "Are you sure you can have that?"

12. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Wow. That was awesome. If we still had rep you would be famous because of that.

13. kierbabi09

Awww, well thank you. I try not to let people get me down becuase of my diabetes. My friend is always asking me if I can eat stuff and I think to myself "If I couldn't eat it, would I REALLY eat it?" It doesn't make sense.
    People act like they know more about it, than people who have it:rolleyes:
    It's crazy!

14. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I know. It's just like "I know you think you know more about d than me, but you don't, I am [not] sorry to say."

15. Specialk

I know. It reminds me of when I was with a group of friends and they were passing around a bag of candy. when it got to me they were like oh you can' have any. I said yes I can. they said no you can't, it as sugar in it. I'm pretty sure that I know what I can have.:eek::eek::eek: