- advertisement -

Why are some teachers so stupid about Type 1 Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AprilHoover, Sep 27, 2009.

1. AprilHoover

AprilHoover Banned

or dfo0hg pgihg'
    'v g;ihgvnpm pg]'hihphtgl,';c"{:'h,.
    '''''''''';.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

April, I've read several of your posts on here and I have to be totally honest with you - I think you're expecting too much from people.

On the one hand you want people to leave you alone and not make your diabetes a big deal. On the other hand you're frustrated when people don't understand the differences between type 1 and type 2 or what it feels like to be high or low.

Honestly, you can't have it both ways. People that don't have diabetes in their lives are never going to understand the specifics of diabetes and it's important to come to terms with that. If you aren't explaining diabetes to people, then how are they supposed to know about it?

I've had diabetes for a long time and it's not worth getting upset over people's ignorance. Just like you'll never know what it's like to live with lots of other diseases, people won't know diabetes. And that's okay..

3. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I would ask your Mom to speak to the nurse about not pulling you out of class. That is a very valid complaint and something that should get stopped.

# 1,3 and 4 are basically rants and that's OK. When you put all of those things together, I can see where you might want to scream. Hopefully things will settle down once your teachers and the nurse get a little more comfortable with you.

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

April, if you don't mind me asking...how long have you had Diabetes?

Every thread you have made has been quite negative and angry, I get the feel you may be somewhat new at dealing with Diabetes? I ask, only because those are normal emotions the first few months after diagnoses. I apologize if you are not.

I don't know what your original post said, however, it is quite common to hear people in general make uneducated comments on Diabetes(and many other things that aren't even Diabetes related). The best thing to do, is just let it go in the ear out the other. It just comes with the territory. You simply can not educate everyone. Most people will never really know what is involved with Type 1 Diabetes, but that is OK.