advertisement

Who here plays sports?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Timmy Mac, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Hi everybody, im new here. I have been on other diabetes forums (though mostly with type 2s) and a lot of them talk about exercise but none of them talk about competitive sports.

So i was wondering, what sports (if any) do you people play, and how do you manage you're diabetes with it?

i personally run short distance sprints in track and i also pole vault :)

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Soccer

I loved playing soccer before I was diagnosed, but now my grandparents don't let me play because their afraid I'll sprain my leg.
    (just a note, they think basketball is safe, and yet, sprained leg comparison:
    Basketball: 3 or 4 times
    Soccer: 0)
    But yeah, I might take up track in a while, short distance all the way xD

3. Leah

Leah Approved members

I play field hockey. I usually don't shut off my insulin completely, but I eat a lot & drink a lot of gatorade.:)

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I play a lot of sports, many just pick up games but some competitive. I play softball and soccer, and I recently just started training for a 10k.

For softball I just disconnect, and always end up in the 200s afterwards because were eating sunflower seeds and Gatorade in the dugout.

When I played soccer, halftime we had oranges so I would test and eat with the team.

For my running that I do I put myself on a temp basal usually 30% 3 hours prior, drink a bottle of water an hour before, and before I go out for the run I check my blood sugar, disconnect from my pump, and eat a granola bar. Then when I get back I test, usually have like a 10 point drop, drink a bottle of water and eat some protein. My blood sugar seems to run the best when I run, it keeps me steady.

5. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Pole vault always scared me when they expected us to try it in gym class, to put your weight on a flexible pole and to be expected to land on the other side just freaks me out.

Welcome to CWD btw...:cwds:

6. Timmy Mac

Thanks for the welcome :)

once you get over being scared of vaulting it is actually pretty fun and my gym teachers don't bother doing pole vault (or sprints for that matter) at our school, we don't have too many poles and if someone were to break one, some people couldn't compete!

since i don't have a pump, i can't disconnect my insulin...been on MDI for 12 years... can't afford a pump

i normally will check and if im under 120 ill eat a chewy bar or something, if im under 80 ill tell my coach i might be a little late and get some gatorade to go along with my snack...and if for some reason im over 250, i bring a bottle of water with me and hope i hope die of dehydration.

if anyone doesn't know... running with a high bloodsugar SUCKS

7. Rukio

Rukio Banned

high blood sugars

Actually, I enjoy running with a high blood sugar, it gets me aggrivated enough to puch myself harder. It helps to listen to soft music or count to 10 a lot if your head hurts. Lows are the oppisite for me really. o.o
    I might start training my dog to do agility just so we both have some sport to do. xD

8. Timmy Mac

well, districts for track and field was this weekend. jumped 9 feet and came in 7th... top 6 went to regions :mad: (I blame the snow and my 350 bloodsugar)

o well... outdoor season here i come!

9. Anneke

Anneke Approved members

Im on a pump and I usally take my pump off just incase the tubing gets caught. But when I'm doing swimming i take it off because I'll go low and my coZmo pump isn't waterproof.

10. rudziara

rudziara Approved members

I've been swimming 4 two months and I feel surprisingly good.that's awesome that I can eat more then.

11. Phillipn

Phillipn Approved members

Ido inline speed skatiing, i disconnect my pump for each race, but inbtween i reconnect and eat alittle bit.

12. maisie2304

maisie2304 New Member

i play a lot of lacrosse which i can find quite difficult to balance with my d. I tend to go very low, very quickly and suddenly crash which can be annoying when playing in championships... any ideas on what would help?

13. baileypaige

baileypaige New Member

I play lots of sports!

Hi, i'm 16,
    I am a highly competitive gymnast,
    a powerlifter, cheerleader, pole vauler/ sprinter, also in the marching band, and run cross country!:)
    And, best of all, I'm a type one diabetic <3

14. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

I play basketball and ice hockey. I just check after each period/half and keep my pump on. I swim (not for competitions) and I go low! Welcome!

15. Ericcc

Ericcc Approved members

i do snowboarding and skateboarding all time ;) and have no problems with the diabetes

16. babykat

babykat Approved members

I am a competitive swimmer and i am still figuring out how to manage diabetes while swimming. I am also on pens which i think makes doing sports easier because you have more control and don't have to disconnect. I mainly have a 1 for 25g-30g carb ratio but when i am at practice early in the morning (right before or after breakfast) I have a 1-35g carb ratio. Also noticing things you do while low and playing sports is very helpful to know when you need to test. Like if i flip on my back for breath too many times while swimming My mom will have me get out and test.

17. Timmy Mac

I have recently discovered the joys of pong pong. too bad my school doesn;t have an leagues for it.

18. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

sports

hi my names Abbie, and i play basketball, hockey, run, swim, etcetera. don't let diabetes get in the way of doing what you love- just pack snacks and do whatever it takes to keep yourself at a normal blood sugar.;)

19. coldblood676

coldblood676 Approved members

Iv been doing parkour for about two years. My diabetes does not effect it at all :) Sports are what keep us happy. And i wouldnt let diabetes effect it im a millions years!

20. Courtneyjensen

Courtneyjensen Approved members

I love playing on varsity teams for my high school. I do basketball, lacrosse, swimming, soccer, volleyball, figure skating, track and i love competing on horses, Make sure you tell your coaches everything about your diabetes and tell him your signs of lows and highs. make sure you also tell your team mates, mine are the biggest supporters ever. They were a blue band every home game to show support. diabetes can be supper hard to control when super active. Especially when its hot outside, make sure your coach has a glucagon shot and you have snacks Gatorade and orange juice with you. but besides that it has never stopped me and ive had it for 8 years :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012