- advertisement -

Who helps them know its timeto check BG?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by annaluvspink, Sep 25, 2010.

1. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

DD is in 3rd grade. Earlier this week, her teacher called me to say that she had missed some of gym class because they happened to be short staffed (parapros) and no one reminded her to check her BG until she was IN gym class. Her plan states that 10-15 minutes before gym, she needs to check BG and eat 5-10 grams of carb before going to gym. So, they pulled her out of gym, checked BG and had her eat the snack, all the while, missing 15 of a 30 min. gym class.

The teacher then told me that the principal has said that Annabelle is old enough to know she needs to be checked. I agree that she should be taking on some of the responsibility, and we are continuously working towards this.
    To add a side note: This particular gym class had previously been in the afternoon. This particular day was the FIRST day of the change in gym time to morning.

I told the teacher, that we are more than willing to support the school. But, that it does take a village.......that the teacher should help her remember to check her BG, if not the parapro. GEEEEEZZZZ.

Who/how helps your CWD know when to check BG?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had an alarm clock in the classroon that went off in the morning and the afternoon. This way the teacher didn't have to remember to remind him to test. I went in a turned it on every morning. This worked until the alarm clock was dropped while he was in 4th grade. Then I used an alarm clock on his wrist, now he has reminders on his pump.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Sorry, IMHO - this is nonsense. Something similar happened when dd was about the same age. Some days she had snack in the morning and other days snack was in the afternoon. And sometimes, because of the funky schedule, snack was just skipped. I said it was unreasonable for a child to be responsible to keep track of this.

Here is what I said to the nurse coordinator.
    "In third grade the entire day is orchestrated. The children are not expected to know when it is time for math, for English language arts, for lunch, or for gym. Someone announces what is coming next," I said.

"No other child in this school is expected to keep track of time at this age. Even the children who get pulled out for extra help in math and reading -- while the rest of the class is working with the teacher -- have someone come in and tell them that it is time for their extra-help They get notified even though this extra help occurs at the same time on the same days."

The nurse coordinator agreed.

I went on: "I think it is reasonable that the aide, or the teacher remind dd that it is time for her to check her BG, or time for her to have snack at the times listed on her 504. When the rest of the school has to keep track of their time, so will dd."

The nurse coordinator handled it and worked it out with the staff. In elementary school an adult tracked the time, while reminding her how to do it. By 5th grade, they would wait for her to make the move at the appropriate time, and remind her when she needed it.

Now, in middle school, now dd keeps track of her time and keeps track of everything and I think it is appropriate. But in third grade I refused to allow them to put that burden on her.

Best of luck finding a solution that works for you.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I do not think of Jack as a particularly responsible child, but he does know when to go to the nurse for scheduled checks. They have P.E. every day in his school, and his scheduled checks are always at the same time, so it's the same thing every day for him. If he missed one, the nurse would come and find him after 10 minutes or so, I'm sure, but as far as I know, the teacher does not tell him when to go.

For him, I think his checks are always during a "transition" time. So, for instance, his before-P.E. check comes when they are putting away their reading materials. That's his cue to hightail it out of the room. So he never has to rely on the clock or remember to go while in the middle of doing something. There is always a cue, even if no one is reminding him. That's kind of key for him, as otherwise I don't think he could be counted on to remember.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I guess every school is different. My DD was in 4th grade last year when diagnosed. I made up a schedule on the computer, printed it out and taped it on her desk. I then bought her a digital watch. She knew what time she had to go. If she got busy, in the midddle of a test, etc., the health assistant would call the offie and ask if she could come down. She rarely had to call. Her schedule was such that she was usually between a special so she just went in on her way there or back and then on her way to lunch. It worked well. This year, she has the alarm on her pump to remind her to go check her BG.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We've been having this same issue with my son who is in 4th grade this year. I did get him an alarm watch and have to get one with more alarm settings:rolleyes: as this one only has one setting. If you can find one that has several settings you could set the different times ie:before snack check, before gym, before lunch, etc. I do agree though, that its difficult for our kids to concentrate on their school work and have to keep track of the time. It would be helpful if the teacher could write herself a note to remind your daughter to go to the nurse before gym class

7. terinc

terinc New Member

3rd is to young

I think that 3rd grade is too young to keep track of everything. After all, if the teacher is forgetting, how can she expect the student to remember. Every child is different when it comes to responsibility levels and my 12 yr old sometimes will forget the snack that he has to eat between his classes or get so involved in his class that he forgets to leave in time for lunch.
    At twelve,he and his classmates are just now becoming more responsible for themselves. I couldn't imagine throwing that responsibilty on a third grader. Plus, that sort of responsibility can become very distracting in class--is she supposed to keep checking the clock every few minutes to make sure that she makes it on time? Even with an alarm, is the responsibility is all hers, it will take up her thoughts when she should be learning/participating in class instead.

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor's teachers remind him when he needs to check his blood sugar. I have a printed schedule with times when he needs to check that his teacher, nurse, and subs can use as a reference. I'm happy that his school takes that burden off of him. I'd cringe to see how often he'd check if he had to be responsible for that task :eek:. I personally think he's too young at age 9 (3rd grade) to be held accountable for remembering something so important. Of course, YDMV.

9. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

As a teacher, I know it's difficult to watch the clock. We have given Caleb, a third grader, the responsibility to check his bg. We purchased a watch with multiple alarms. 5, I think. We set the alarms to correspond with times we want him to check. When it alarms he knows that it's time to go to the health office. It works about as perfectly as it could. We have used this same method since kindergarten. Good luck.

10. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Julia is in 4th grade and most of the time she just gets up and does the check, and does what she needs to do (eat snack, or go to the office for a bolus) on her own. But Julia is forgetful so we have the Nurses Aid, and the teacher help remind her when need be. In previous years I've thought about setting an alarm, but its never gone that far. Some teachers are forgetful, overwhelmed, or just don't have the time management skills to do it, so yeah... Shoot some ideas at the school and see what they think would work.

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

It is fine for a child to wear a watch, check during breaks etc. But kids often forget or neglect responsibilities. Ultimately, adults are responsible for third graders and need to take charge when the child forgets.

Chuck

12. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

This is pretty much my opinion... While its fine to get her started with some ways to remind herself, she shouldn't be left to be solely responsible. If the school is truly concerned with her welfare and safety while under their care, (which they absolutely should be) then making sure the checks are done is part of the "program" and really, it isn't that much to ask... An alarm set for both teacher and child and a quick exchange of a look or "signal" between the two of them could cover her getting a reminder while developing good habits with paying attention to her own alarm and allowing her to "gear up" for becoming responsible to do things on her own when she is older.

Third grade is a tough year anyway - the key is that just because they are in third grade, doesn't mean that there is an off/on switch you can flip -- they have to LEARN to be responsible. It may be a quick learn for some and slower for others, but BG checks are too important to put in the "live and learn" department like forgetting your homework gets you a zero...

13. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

When my dd was on MDI, she had a digital watch with an alarm set; now that she's pumping we have an alarm set on the pump. With that said, though, previously the nurse would call for her if she didn't show up, and now the nurse just comes up to the classroom for the pre-lunch check, so if dd zones out and ignores the alarm (it's been known to happen :rolleyes:), ultimately an adult makes sure it happens.