- advertisement -

Whiney post about the 2am BG check

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mcphelster, Mar 13, 2015.

1. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I get up 95% of the time. I've occasionally either slept through the alarm or chose to pick a night when he's been a sloth all day and send him to bed higher than usual so I can sleep. Chronic ongoing sleep deprivation has consequences of its own, depending on the person and their circumstances, so we just have to do the best we can.

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

CGM helps. But yah. So.Freaking.Tired. All the time. WAYYYYY worse than a newborn! Sorry….

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said. And welcome! :smile:

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

This ^^^^^^^^^

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

What do you mean by, "they (cgms) basically do the checking for you" Does that mean that you refer to the cgm multiple times a night or are you still getting out of bed and doing a fingerstick multiple times a night?

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle is choosing not to use a CGM right now. But what I meant was that whether you are using a CGM or doing finger sticks, the child's bg is still being checked at night. I would imagine that people who use CGMs would only get out of bed to check it during the night if it alarmed. When I said "they" are still being checked, by "they" I meant the child.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

5 years in and I still get up multiple times a night to check and that's with her wearing a CGM. Some nights are less than others, but I always get up atleast once. Always will until she leaves me house.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Gotcha - thanks! I didn't realize she doesn't wear a cgm. I think I confused you with someone else.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Since both of mine have used CGM for so many years now, it is still interesting to me when someone says that their child goes to be and gets up at around the same number, so they wrongfully assume that they don't fluctuate much. I'm sure that is true for some people, but not many. I'm still up almost nightly with either a high or low alarm, or two or three. I adjust basals all of the time, and it doesn't help. As soon as I move it in one direction, her blood sugar goes the opposite direction, even when I make tiny changes. I had no idea of how many undetected lows were resulting in waking up high until CGM. Before CGM, I didn't routinely test either, but if I knew then what I know now, I sure would have been!

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

15 years for us. I only check if CGM alarms go off. I used to set alarms. If I just wake up for no reason I will walk down and check the Medtronic CGM and just check our Dexcom CGM from my iPhone,

but yes still tired all the time.

11. shannong

shannong Approved members

2 weeks ago my son was needing a night time basal rate of 2 units an hour, last night a basal rate of .250 kept sending him low. There is no rhyme or reason most of the time. My son has way more stable blood sugars during the day, thanks I believe to the routine of school. Nights are the worst as far as bg variability. I am always tired and sleep deprived. We have a Dexcom and that is so helpful, but I will always be up in the night, usually several times.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think we've scared mcphelster. LOL.

The truth is - early on, you really do need to check. Just like you wouldn't go all day without checking, you can't really go all night, because you just don't know what is going to happen.

After a while, you get a feel for what your child's nights are like. Some kids fluctuate more at night. Some run low every night. Some run high every night. Your child will do what your child does, and then you'll get an idea what you'll need to do. For many people, night checking is based on the circumstances of the day. For others, night checking is just a given. For others, night checks rarely happen. Diabetes is a lot about the numbers and the science, but it's also kind of an art form. You just get a feeling for what you need to do, regardless of other things.

For me, I went a lot of years without sleeping a full night.. until we got the dexcom. Best thing ever.

13. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We check before the last one goes to bed (usually around 11 or so), and then one of us gets up around 3 or 3:30. It pretty much happens like clockwork and I honestly don't feel sleep deprived from it. The only times we've been up all night is with a stomach virus. And sometimes insomnia kicks in and I can't get back to sleep.