- advertisement -

which pump is best?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by krazyemocid, Jun 8, 2010.

1. krazyemocid

krazyemocid New Member

im wondering which pump is best: mm animas or ur pump plz tell me which 1 is best:confused:

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I personally don't have a pump yet. Are you considering the MM animas? Personally I am looking at the omnipod, so I'll see if I can make a list of what I like about Omnipod, and you make a list about MM animas so they could be compared might work. Also, on chat a few people are on the...is it a minimed 722? I know someone at our church is type 1 for 40 years. xD Their rather new though. They've had is it...medtronic 702? or 722? For 7 years. Also, I think Leah has an omnipod, not sure if shes still active though.

pros of omnipod:
    1. No tubing
    2. pod is moderately small, its going to be smaller
    3. can swim with pod (correct me if I'm wrong)
    4. I don't know much else, but if you google "omnipod" you should be able to find their website

cons: I find my skin turned red after removing, and for me I noticed it was rather noticeable under a shirt.

EDIT: Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a best all around pump, everyone is different so they generally require different style pumps then possibly their friend. Understand? xD

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I want to direct you to a few places that will give you an overvall comparison of all pumps. Second, I will add my opinion of only the pump I use because I don't think its fair for me to judge something I haven't used.

pros and cons of differnet pumps: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=32365

comparison chart: (note that cozmo co. is no longer in business)
    http://www.jdrf.org/files/General_F...nia_chapter/insulin_pump_comparison_chart.pdf

basic info about different pumps:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/

I have a MiniMed paradigm 722
    -bolus wizard (i think most pumps have this)
    -adjust temp basal in percentages
    -customer service is great
    -"link" meter
    -remote (could be better but it works)
    -Carelink and Paradigm Pal systems
    -size and shape
    -MM is usually the first to come out with something new
    -water resistant (they don't want you to dunk it on purpose or swim in case there is a small crack which would result in a pump failure)
    -extremely durable! I was running and took a hard fall onto bricks last week, my pump only had minor superficial damage. My leg however still has a massave bruise, swelling, and pain. The pump can take a good beating!!
    If you have questions about the minimed pump feel free to ask me :cwds:

4. someone

someone Approved members

Animas and Minimed are both good. I used Animas for 4 years and recently got a Minimed for the integrated CGMS. Honestly, I would use either and I could care less which one I was using if it weren't for the CGMS. Of course,if you go with Animas you can always use a separate device for that (eg Guardian RT) and supposedly Animas is working on integrating the Dexcom into their pump, but in my opinion the Dexcom isn't quite as good as the Minimed cgms.

Animas does have the little meter remote thing now. Not something I would ever use, especially since I don't like that meter. Minimed has a remote control you can purchase separately which can perform basic pump functions. Another reason you might go with Minimed is for the slower boluses...some people complain about stinging boluses with Animas but it was never an issue for me. In my opinion, Minimed also has better computer software than Animas if that's even of interest to you. Both pumps are 100% waterproof and have warranties against water damage even though Minimed doesn't advertise it. Both are quite durable, but the Animas seems to have a thicker case and slightly more durable design. Durability isn't a huge concern to me though since you can practically get your pump exchanged by either company with a simple phone call even for the smallest malfunction, crack, etc.

As for the omnipod, I don't find it too appealing. I don't like the idea of having to wear a thick "pod" which cannot be detached and REQUIRES a remote control that you might not always have on hand in order to bolus. And no, I don't care if Nick Jonas wears it. ;)

Hope this helps.

5. Cinid

Cinid New Member

Well, if you are ok with bigger, the omnipod is great. Ive had it for a year and love it. There are no wires and the tester is built in.

The ping is good if you want all the omnipod-type features, but it is small and has wires.

The others are good too, in the end, its just personal preferences.

Good luck!
    :eek::)

6. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

If I may make a suggestion, I think you will be happiest if you contact a representative from each pump company you are considering and try each pump. I know Animas and Omnipod will let you wear their pumps for a month so you can be sure of the one you want. I'm not sure if Minimed does but I don't see why they wouldn't. It just makes sense to me to try out a $7,000 medical device before you buy it.

7. rudziara

rudziara Approved members

has anyone heard about Medttronic's pump Veo? It's said it is the lastest pump they've created

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The Veo is the latest pump in Europe (and perhaps other places), but in the US the latest pump is the Revel.

9. rudziara

Emma:) I was reading about this Revel. But is there any difference between Revel and Veo?
    I know it's not a place for this question but you are now 17? How old were you when you were diagnosed?

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, the Veo can automatically stop delivering insulin if the blood sugar falls too low on the continuous glucose monitor, and the Revel cannot do that. I haven't used either of them (still on the old 522) but I think the Revel has lower basal increments and some extra continuous glucose monitor features.

Yep, I'm 17 now, I was diagnosed when I was 14. What about you?

11. rudziara

I had veo in my hands( now I'm w8ing for my mum to collect the money for Veo) it isn't hard to learn how it works, i even can say it's rather helpful and nice:) but quite expensive. In my country it's about 5000$

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, pumps are very expensive. Luckily the healthcare system over here completely funded mine, otherwise it would have been very difficult. The Veo looks like a really cool pump, though. :) Hope you can get it soon.