- advertisement -

which meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

It looks like we are going to have to give up our Contour Next Link. Insurance doesn't want to pay for the strips. The doctor's office is filing an appeal, but I was told not to get my hopes up.

Our choices are, Accu-Chek Avia Plus, Compact Plus, or Nano Smartview or FreeStyle Lite, Freedom Lite or Insulinx. Which is most accurate, less wasted strips (due to errors or insufficient blood fill), best for a 7 year old? Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've always used freestyle meters. The "lite" has a strip light, it's the best feature hands down, and the sample size is very small, it's accurate ( as accurate as any of the best) and is easy to use for alternate site testing. Can't say about the others.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

^ ^ ^ Ditto. Dd used Freestyle Lite for several years before switching to Contour Next Link. Before that it was the previous generations of the Freestyle, including the one that was attached to, and communicated with her old Cosmo pump.

In terms of being best for a seven year old, here is our experience. The small meters were especially important to me when dd was small, because she could easily fit it, a small clicker, some strips, glucose tabs and her pump, in a pump pouch. (Obviously it didn't fit everything in there, but gave her some autonomy.)

When she got to middle school she stopped wearing pump pouches and pockets, and started clipping the pump to her jeans. Her supplies went into her purse, so the meter size was not an issue. But when she was small I really liked the Freestyle Lite.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We've used the Aviva, Nano, and Freestyle Lite. The Freestyle Lite is definitely my favourite because of its size, sample size, and light.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Another vote for Freestyle. DD uses a Freestyle Lite meter and DS uses Freestyle strips in his PDM. Love the sample size and the small meter size, plus the light is awesome at night. My favorite feature is that when there isn't enough blood, the meter waits for you to get more (don't know if this is a common feature but it's one we never had with the One Touch) instead of erroring out.

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Another vote for freestyle! The strips use SO MUCH LESS BLOOD! And you can reapply - so if you don't get enough blood you can give another squeeze annd apply again! So helpful!

7. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Freestyle except I use the insulinx because I like the bolus calculator. I don't think the us insulinx has the bolus calculator though. Love how little blood it takes and that it allows to add more if there isn't enough. I also had been very accurate with my readings VS the lab reading

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We used Aviva for three years, and my daughter would switch back instantly if insurance would cover the strips again.

9. andiej

andiej Approved members

Unsure if you've made your mind up but thought i would wade in as we have trialled 4 different meters in the last few weeks. The freestyle lite is basic but tiny drop of blood, we have also tried the verio iq which is also a small drop of blood but we don't really like the recharging, the Accu Check Expert takes twice as much blood as the freestyle lite and insulinx and doesn't give you time to add more. We love, love, love the insulinx meter, other meters read higher or lower than the insulinx so i think it's a good average, it's easy to use, has a strip light and takes a tiny drop of blood and still gives you a whole minute to add more. In the uk it also has a bolus wizard. We absolutely have nothing bad to say about this meter and it's certainly my 10 year old sons favourite by a mile.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I know it's not on your list but we switched to the Verio IQ many months back due to Freestyle/PDM issues as well as insurance issues (Verio strips are $10 per 1200) and we love the meter. It has a light and is rechargeable, via USB, and I feel it's way more accurate than the Freestyle meters we own. It complies with the new ISO standards.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We hated the Verio IQ and just switched back to Accu-chek. We couldn't get back-to-back tests within 30 points of each other. Management became a nightmare. It is great to once again have readings that are within 10 points, usually much less. Maybe we just had a bad meter (or two), but our experience with Verio was awful.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, that seems completely opposite to our experience but I have to admit that we almost never do back-to-back tests.

13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We have 3 Accu-Chek Nanos and love them! (As much as one can love a device that sips your child's blood...)

14. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have used the Accu-Chek Nano and VerioIQ over the past year...We like both. Currently we have been using the Nano. The VerioIQ has a great light for night testing.

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Many insurance companies won't pay for Verio strips. My supply place says that they are more than the regular One Touch strips. That is the meter sent with the Tslim pump and quite a few people are complaining because they can't get insurance to pay for strips. I bought the new Sync meter and got a Verio from the endo, and now they both are sitting in the closet.