- advertisement -

Where does your D child sleep?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Oct 27, 2010.

1. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan sleeps in his room, in the basement. He's older (almost 16), and would have it no other way. He loves it!!!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We coslept as well. My best friend lost her infant at 9.5weeks (labelled as SIDS, but it was not.. but they didn't find out until later).. I was already freaked out, I literally slept with one hand on my children. Then D came into our lives, they were both already in our bed (but it was getting squished!).. it was easier to do night time checks.. finally, I couldn't take the closeness anymore (my children sleep sideways lol)... so we had them start falling asleep in their own rooms, eventually they would come in our room.. My husband use to bring K in our room every night though.. he didn't want her in her room.. finally they are both in their own room. :D If they are sick/not feeling well, or if K's have a lot of lows, they do sleep in our room.

3. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

My daughter and I fall asleep together on my husband's and my bed. Then I wake up and sleep in her bed. Hubby sleeps on the couch. Sometimes my 11-year-old sleeps with him. There is a lot of switching around in the middle of the night, and sometimes hubby and I have to sneak around for romance. This is not bad. We love the time we spend snuggling with our kids at night (we both work during the day) and we are convinced we will never regret it. In fact, we believe it will be among our favorite memories when our kids are out of the house. We also think our kids will remember these times with happiness, and perhaps even have similar strange sleeping arrangements when they have their own families.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh sleeps in her bedroom. She is on the 2nd floor we're on the ground floor. I wish all our bedrooms were on one floor. But our house is set up with 2 bedrooms on the upper level and 2 bedrooms on the lower level. DH & I have one bedroom and Catie's room is the 2nd room on the lower level. I wanted to be near the baby if she woke at night. Ashleigh, Madisyn, and Emely are all on the upper level.

I have been checking Ashleigh 1-2x's at night. I keep thinking i should put Catie's baby monitor in her room. That way if Ashleigh needed me i would be able to hear her.

5. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Hunter sleeps in his own room, has since he was 6 weeks old. I do have a baby monitor to hear his CGM alarms. How many times I check in the night depends on how the day has gone. The recent events are surely a wake up call for each of us and the reality of this dreaded disease. But as a PP said, I too can not live in fear all the time. It's too exhausting. I can look at myself in the mirror 95% of the days and know that I have done all that I can do for all of my kids. I dont think I can ask for better than that. I know there are times when I can do better and I learn from them.

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I was the mom who couldn't have the bassinet in her room because every move woke me up. :) So my kids have always been in their own rooms from birth through diagnosis and now. I get up to check with an alarm.

I won't lie, since Kylie's seizure last year sometimes I wake up because of a noise and am instantly on alert. However, after the events of the past few weeks silence is almost as scary as noise. :(

Like Nancy, I can't live my life in fear. There are so many things I cannot control in this life and therefore I will do the best I can and try to let it go as much as I can. I do have a strong faith in God that helps me get through hard times because even when I don't have control He does. That helps me tremendously!

I would second the baby monitor to help you through. Any tool you can use to ease your mind would help. If he wants his own space, I think it's important to try to meet that need if you can. ((hugs!))

7. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

C sleeps upstairs. He and our youngest son share a room. We are on the 1st level. Sometimes, if he has a bad dream or isn't feeling well, he'll sleep on our floor or the sofa, but 95% of the time he's in his own bed.

8. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

he's slept in his own room since I was pregnant with my now 2 year old and the belly got in the way. We have a small house and I'm a light sleeper so I often jump out of bed if I hear a bump in the night thinking "seizure!". I am not sure if the angelcare monitor would work with a child, they cover a small space and with my daughter if she scooted to the other side of the crib it would go off. Diabetes kept me from cosleeping with her cause I was too afraid to leave her in the bed alone while doing all the night time testing/treating.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Both of our boys have their own rooms. We have a one story house so their rooms are right across the hall from us. In many cultures it is the accepted norm that families sleep in one room together. That room is just for sleeping and children can have a seperate room for privacy, to visit with friends, listen to music, do homework in, etc. And parents can go to a different room at night if they wish to have some private time as well. Ive never thought there was anything wrong with children sleeping in the same room as parent or siblings.

10. manda81

manda81 Approved members

He sleeps with us right now, but we are going to be transitioning him into his own room soon-ish. We co-slept with our oldest until he was 5, and Brody is now 5, and will be in his own room before he starts school next year.

I actually sleep better with my kiddos, and even now, my oldest (who is almost 9) still has "sleepovers" with us on Friday nights. *haha* We've always liked co-sleeping, so for us, it wasn't completely about D. It is easier to stay in the warm bed at night when I have to check his BG though. =)

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson has always slept in his own room, even since diagnosis at 9 months old.

It is a personal decision, but for our family, letting him sleep with us would mean letting diabetes rule our lives. Not gonna happen.

12. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Andy sleeps with us, and has since he was dx at 10 months (we had just moved him to his own room as I had stopped nursing so we just moved him back in with us). All 3 kids slept in our room until I stopped nursing them. Now, Andy sleeps in our bed with us, but it is his choice - he has a room but does not want to sleep alone. He is an anxious kid and if this eases his stress at night, then I'm fine with it. He'll move when he's ready. Lauren sleeps in her own room, but a few days a week creeps into our bed in the night - she loves to cuddle! Abby sleeps in her room in her crib, but she'll be moving to a toddler bed soon and I suspect then we'll have one more kid wandering around the house at night into our room!

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I sleep in my own room! :D.

Although if I'm worried about my bg I will move to the couch where I can be heard better. My mom will come in my room if there is something totally wonky going on and she doesn't want to disturb my dad with the alarm or her getting up and getting back in bed. She still comes and checks me. Or more accurately, she stands at my door and says, "Emily, check your sugar." Because an alarm clock can go off for over 5 minutes without my waking up. I've also switched them off in my sleep.