- advertisement -

Where does your child with diabetes sleep?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Apr 2, 2010.

?

Where does your child with diabetes sleep?

1. My child sleeps in his/her own bedroom.

90 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. My child sleeps with a sibling (shares a room).

22 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. My child sleeps with me or another adult caregiver.

27 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

matt sleeps in our room, next to the bed on my side. He took over the dogs bed. :rolleyes: he makes his nest every night and snuggles in. He slept there before diagnosis, so it really isnt any different. it works for us, and thats all that counts. all of our kids did their stint of sleeping on our floor for years, matt has retained longest amount of time tho. He has a room... a very nice room :cool:

2. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was 13 at dxs. The first night we were home, my hubby insisted she sleep with me. After that she insisted she was sleeping in her own bed. None of my girls ever made it a habit to sleep with us. Two of them used to come in and sleep in our room when there was a thunderstorm. And after my hubby had his last stroke, the two youngest--Reann and her younger sister, took turns sleeping in the bed next to me. But that only lasted for awhile. She now sleeps with her hubby (at least I hope so).

3. mamort

mamort Approved members

Both my kids sleep in their own rooms upstairs, we are downstairs.

4. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

If Amanda is ill..and needs me to keep a closer eye on her for whatever reason...I will put her on our sectional couch and lay there with her..that way I am close by and can hear her better etc...and I dont disturb anyone else in the house..other than that..shes in her room!

5. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Deacon and I share a room. One day when he is older, he will move into one of his brothers' rooms. For now though having him sleep with me makes night time checks much easier. All I have to do is roll out of bed and get the kit off of the nightstand.

--Sara

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian shares a room with his brother. They'll both have their own separate bedrooms whenever we finish them. Hopefully before they move out of the house.:rolleyes:

7. Java

Java Approved members

I have been thinking about this. Thanks for posting.:D

8. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Sleeps with me:rolleyes:

9. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You're welcome. I've been thinking about this for awhile too. :cwds:

10. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Kaylee shares a room with sister Justice .. she will be on another floor when we get our house done .. so was thinking I would get a "baby" monitor to leave on her bedside.

Crystal

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Manning has his own room (finally the house is done) but still is with us. We had him in with us when we bought this house (only 3 bedrooms), now that we added on, he has his own room but it is on a different floor then ours (he is the only one upstairs), it is work in progress to get him to stay in it. Most nights I do sleep better because he is with us but he is getting bigger by the day.

We made a deal, when the new puppy comes home (May 15th) he will sleep in his room with the puppy (puppy will be in a crate). We shall see how it goes. I am thinking of getting out the old baby monitor.

It does make it easier for the nighttime checks to have him with us.

BTW - MY 20 year old son came into our room at night until he was 11.5 (when Mann was born), he doesn't have any problem sleeping in his now... just waiting for him to leave the nest.;)

12. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava was JUST settled into a good sleeping routine for about a month when she was diagnosed. Previously, she had been sleeping in a co-sleeper next to our bed. I weaned her and got her to sleep in her crib in her own room about two months before diagnosis.

Ah well. Since then, she has been back in our room. She does have a lovely room of her own and a few times she has chosen to sleep in there. But most of the time, I can't sleep unless she is with me.

Right now we have her toddler bed in our room and a bassinette waiting for the new baby to arrive. I'm thinking I'll try to transition them both into one room at the same time. Or if the new baby is a fussy sleeper, they actually each have their own room. We'll see.

This is a hot topic, not only here, but among our friends and family. Everyone has their own opinion about what we should be doing, but in the end, what ever works works.

13. momandwifeoftype1s

This is how I feel too. No right or wrong way, just ways. :cwds:

14. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i have from day one, and hearing the past cases feel glad i still do. It just scares me.

15. momandwifeoftype1s

Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful responses :D. It helps me to see that CWD parents are handling sleep in different ways with success.

16. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

We were a co-sleeping family even before D. But once Frankie was diagnosed at age 2 (and her numbers are so erratic at night, and still at age 4 they are), she is still in our bed with us. My husband and I both will never push her to go into her own room (she does have one, but she mostly just naps and plays in there) until she can wake up from her own lows. Seriously? If she is 16 and has a twin mattress on our bedroom floor, that's fine with us!

We are expecting baby #2 in about a week, and will be using the co-sleeper attached to our bed for that baby, so that Frankie will still be with us in our bed.

Honestly though, right before her diagnosis, I remember being so excited that when she hit two years old, she was going to sleep in her new girlie bedroom that we set up for her. But D changed all that for us. So, it's ok.

17. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

I am the same way, I can't sleep unless I am right next to her. That is the only way I can get sleep. And I do two night cks each night. 1 am and 4:30am for now. I know it'll get a little easier once she is older.

18. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor sleeps in his own room at the other end of the house from ours.

For a short time after dx he continued to get in bed with us at night (he had done that for years before dx.).
    Then he moved to the couch in the family room for about 6 months. It is right outside our bedroom door and he felt more comfortable there than in his room.
    Finally, he was ready to move to his room full-time and has been sleeping there for over a year now.