advertisement

Where do you buy your blood ketone strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BozziesMom, Feb 26, 2009.

1. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Just wondering what pharmacies in what states find it easy to keep these things in stock. My mail order pharmacy through Blue Cross can't get them. My local Walgreens can't even get them. The CVS in Burbank managed to get me some, but said it was like pulling teeth and they can't guarantee when and if they can get more. No pharmacy here in the desert locally is able to get them apparently. So I'm wondering what pharmacy anyone uses that is able to easily get these things. It's madness. Thanks!

2. candise

candise Approved members

Sav-on ordered ours and had them the next day.
    Candise

3. BozziesMom

Well! Ok, I'll have to see if I have one of those locally. Not sure. Heard of them. Thanks!

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

We get ours from a locally-owned pharmacy and have never had trouble getting them.
    Why is it hard to get them? I hear people say this all the time.:confused:

5. BozziesMom

You got me swinging. Without being on the inside I can only guess... and I don't have a good guess. lol. Who knows??

Oh yes, I tried our locally owned pharmacy too - which interestingly specializes in diabetes supplies. They can't get them either. pfft.

6. MichelleDeGoede

MichelleDeGoede Approved members

I get mine from Target, they had to order them for me the first time (took a couple days) but now I have them on auto-refill and no problems. I also heard Walmart has them, but this is Michigan. Good Luck!

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think it's insane that pharmacies are having trouble getting them! I've never had a problem at CVS (2 different ones) or through my mail-order.

Do you have a hospital near you with a pharmacy? Maybe it would be easier for them???

What mail-order do you have? I have BCBS and use Express-Scripts, but the pharmacists didn't even know what they were at first.

8. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Do you have a rx for these? I've just assumed that our insurance wouldn't cover them b/c of things our endo said, so we've just relied on getting free ones at our visits. But after DD's minor ketone episode last night, it would be nice to have more than 10 strips for every 3 months.

If you don't have a rx, how much do they cost OOP?

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I ordered some online from Walgreens. The last box was from Fifty-50 pharmacy. http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/.

I would give up on a local pharmacy. It sounds like their suppliers are no good. My local pharmacy looked it up, ordered, and I had it the next day.

10. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I can't find them on this site. :confused:

11. BozziesMom

I do have an Rx. Without they would cost about $40 for a box of 10 here.

12. haffgus

haffgus Approved members

I get ours by prescription at our local Walgreens in Minneapolis - they have always had a supply in stock.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think when they say "can't get them" it's because the pharmacies don't know the correct order code. If you provide them with the correct code then most any pharmacy can order anything.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0i_191.htm

If you are having problems getting the blood ketone strips, the NDC code is 57599-0745-01 and the UPC code is 0-93815-70745-5. Give that information to your local pharmacist to help with the order. Abbott Diabetes Care also has a list of stores that carry their diabetes care products. ADC also reports that Precision Xtra blood ketone strips are widely available at Wal-Mart pharmacies across the United States.

14. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

We get Amanda's through Blue Cross Blue Shield through Medco..pharmacy mail order..

15. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We get ours from the local Mom and Pop Pharmacy. I had to bring in a picture of them so they knew they existed and UPC code. In the past I would assume they would give me a hard time and brought props to help. They do not keep them in stock. So they need 24 hours to get them in.

Good Luck.

16. BozziesMom

I actually did have CVS pull out their book and I pointed out the strips. And like I said they got them twice... but say their supplier has trouble.

I'll try Walmart. I generally avoid it because the Walmart near me has a lot of stabbings and shootings in broad daylight... and at night too, but I definitely don't go there at night. :rolleyes:

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ours are from Edgepark Medical

18. hsmommyofmany

hsmommyofmany Approved members

i get mine from the military...there are no civilian pharms around me that carry them...i think most people get them online.

19. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We had the scrip called into the local Walgreens and they didn't have it in stock but ordered them for us to arrive the next day.

Oh, and Sav-on isn't around So cal anymore I don't think. It was bought out by CVS so all of the ones in my area have changed over to CVS's now.

Good luck and PM me if you want to know which Walgreens I use. It would be a bit of a drive probably, but hey, at least you could get them!

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We get ours at Safeway, the almost always have to order them, but they get them in a few days.