- advertisement -

Where are your placing your Dexcom Sensor?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shopgirl2091, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We loved arms, had to move to bum because the arms needed a break. I would like to have more variety, but I don't want to waste a sensor trying.

We tried on the stomach and the sensor fell off after 10 minutes. Regardless of where it is I always have to tape it down right away or it will fall off.

Has anyone had luck using thighs, or anywhere else with little kids? I just wanted to find out what others are having success with.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter wears hers on her love handles, just above her pant line. We've had good luck so far.

3. Dave

Dave Approved members

Best luck for us has been the thigh - right where the palm of the hand is when arms fall naturally from a standing position. Hole punch through a Johnson and Johnson 'tough pad', attach the sensor, then put the pad on and do the dexcom plunger bit.

Stomach - same here...fell off after one day. Ugg. The boy knows how expensive they are, so he feels bad. Damn diabetes.

Our big problem is swimming. It wets the adhesive...then everything gets all funky. Hate to ban swimming, but we do in the first few days of the sensor life.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Is the skin taut when you apply the sensor (not the needle insertion but initial placement on skin)? If so, very strange that it falls off stomach and not other places. We've had good success with the stomach (as well as arms).

5. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I totally hear you on not wanting the sensor messed with. I often have similar feelings about baths because I sometimes see accuracy affected afterwards. I'd be very, very careful, though, about banning a healthy, norm activity because of an aspect of diabetes life. It may come back to bite far worse than the cost of an occasional sensor.

7. Shopgirl2091

Yes - I made sure the skin was just right when I put it on, I actually tried the stomach twice and it did that both times - just not working well there for us.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Always use upper butt/lower back. Get good readings. Haven't had too many issues with it falling off but we've started using Opsite.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've had good luck with love handles, just above pant line.

Try putting some skin tac directly onto the adhesive for a little extra staying power. Just peel off the cover, then gently wipe on skin tac. Then put skin tac on the skin too.

10. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

We usually put in on her arms. She wears an Omnipod also, so they both get moved around.

Love handles, high up on her toosh (she jumps on the trampoline a lot to bring highs down, so we don't want it on a spot she might sit on hard on the tramp)
    tummy.

It's never fallen off.

If it comes a little loose a touch up with skin tac is all it takes. Maybe we are just lucky and have good skin.

And she'll SOAK in the bathtub and swam like a fish in grandpa's pool all summer long.

She did lose a pod twice after swimming, once on her tummy and once on her arm. We got her one of those Sleek sleeves like Robin Roberts wears, which of course only works on an arm. Sometimes we also use the cut-off cuff of one of her Grandpa's old socks, which is much cheaper than the sleeve and is very funny, and we made up a silly song about that we like to sing. Because it's funny to wear your Granpa's old sock on your arm ;)

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We had so many of the G4 sensors only last 4 days I was getting frustrated. Dexcom replaced them, (or most of them) but it was still frustrating.

I finally started a new method of putting them on and (fingers crossed) it seems to be working:
    Wipe area with wet rag, dry completely. Wipe area with alcohol wipe.
    Hold an old sensor (adhesive removed) onto arm, belly, whatever we are using. Wipe all the way around it with skintac, then put new sensor in that spot that is skintac free. Smooth adhesive down over skintac area and insert. Put on transmitter and then put two IV3000 patches (with notches cut out so transmitter isn't covered) onto adhesive area. So far, three of them have stayed on for the entire week!

12. Shopgirl2091

I wish we could use skintac - we used to but after three months he started to have an allergic reaction - it was horrible! I use the Opsite and they stay on pretty well with that, but I still have to reinforce it as it starts to peel up.

13. Shopgirl2091

Dave - do you seem to get pretty good readings on the thigh? I want to try it but am worried that there is too much muscle. I can pinch an inch, so I guess I should be able to. I love the arms so much and the problem we are having with the bum is that he puts so much pressure on it when he sleeps we are getting bad readings and false lows at night.

14. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Possibly dumb question alert here:
    When you are putting the Dex on the arms, are you placing it horizontal or vertical? If we place it horizontally, his arm is not wide enough, but I thought I read it had to be that way and not vertical?
    I can't call Dex and ask because both times I've called in sensor issues they've asked specifically if it was worn on his stomach.
    Thanks!

15. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

No dumb questions :)

We place sensors so that they have the most contact with his skin AND are where the sensor will not constrain body movement. So that means horizontal on the belly and vertical on the back of arms.

16. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We just started and so far have only used the top of the butt and we haven't had any issues. It is the only spot where he seems a little, teeny, tiny bit of fat.

If only his mom could say the same for herself..... :)

Amy

17. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

We do vertical placement on the back of her little arms, with the sensor filament closest to the elbow.

18. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Thank you! We placed it on his upper butt area this evening after much coaxing (he was very apprehensive to put his OmniPod in that area too, and now he loves it there), so let's hope this one stays! We've gone through 3 sensors in 6 days.

19. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

No matter where we put the sensor (have used Medtronic and Dex in the tummy, butt, love handles, and arms) we have ALWAYS secured the sensor tape down with extra tape of our own. We use Opsite Flex sheets, cut 2 sheets in half so have 4 strips to tape down the Dex tape on all 4 sides. Due to how long the Dex lasts, sometimes 2 weeks +, we often have to re-tape our extra tape. We try to protect DD's skin with Bard's Barrier wipes. Hope these ideas can help.