- advertisement -

When you go on a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Theo's dad Joe, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

If I decide to get a pump and get a prescription for that, do I still keep all of my prescriptions for MDI pen cartridges and long acting basal insulin? Does insurance typically cover two methods of insulin delivery, basically double the insulin? I know that people take pump breaks but wondering how that gets handled through Rx and insurance.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Keep you rx's you just will not be filling the long acting as much if ever. Fast acting insulin rx will most likely be bumped up if you normally cut it close as the pump waists insulin for many. You will get rx for infusion sets and pump cartridges and for most people that comes from your medical coverage under dme, you may be able to order directly from my or might have to go thru distributor.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We fill rx's for pens and vials, syringes and pen top.

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Our endo wants us to have a stash of Lantus on hand in case of a catastrophic pump failure. They gave us a prescription for that. We're not using pens anymore. If we need to give an injection (and that WILL happen) we use a traditional syringe.

5. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I refilled both of our pen scripts right before we went on the pump. We have two humalog pens left. I send one with him to school in case he needs to correct (which we have twice now). It stays in the fridge until he needs it and then I just pay attention to the date and have the nurse send it home when it gets close. We haven't had to use the lantus yet, but I suspect we might if we don't get the inset situation taken care of in the next day. As far as humalog, we will just use the vial and syringe if we need to use it when we run out of pens.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We keep 1 vial of Levemir in the fridge & a current Rx on hold at the pharmacy. When we switched to the pump our insurance wouldn't cover both vials & pens, so we stuck with vials.

7. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I noticed that after awhile the old prescriptions for pen supplies expired and were not renewed automatically. We have started using lantus again and will hopefuly be getting a new prescription for that in a few days. We fill the pump from pen cartridges so when we need to use a pen we can just stick a cartridge in a pen. I like the pen cartridges better because they are smaller and if one gets wasted it is less of a loss. I had one time where a whole vial of insulin just rolled off the counter and shattered. It was our only vial and insurance would not cover another one. I have also had times where I find a whole pen cartridge in a back pack and not knowing how old it is am forced to discard it - but its not that big a loss. We have lots of pen needles on hand from before but I think we did refill the scrip once since going on a pump. You need to have some system for back-up in case the pump can't be used for any reason so you have to have prescriptions for those supplies at least.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our practice gave us sample pens of Levimere and we have a supply of pen cartridges. We have a scrip written for "in the event of pump failure."

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

For a pump break, we just quit ordering pump supplies and have the endo call in a long-acting prescription. Within a day, we're switched.

We do not keep long-acting around when both kids are pumping. However...we have a spare OmniPod system so for us, a broken pump just meant we pulled out the spare PDM and just kept pumping. $200 for a spare pump (Cut the Cord program) is less expensive than getting a month's worth of long-acting, at least with my insurance. And when we started DD on her first pump, we just kept a pen from the stash and would ask for a sample at the endo's every year. It worked, but the PDM is a much easier solution.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We built up extra MDI supplies so fast in those first six months. I sent a pen, box of pen tips, and a vial of humalog to school as backup. Kept same on hand at home, plus several bags of syringes (you are meant to always have syringes on hand in case of pump failure and also to correct stubborn highs to rule out delivery issues). For us a month of Lantus is $25 and we have a standing Rx. We also have the Omnipod as a backup. Blessed with good insurance. They don't seem to be as penny pinching about MDI supplies, though you will find your pump supply orders are pretty precisely timed, as are test strips and insulin. The expensive stuff.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto. The Omnipod is our backup, not Lantus.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

Our insurance company has no problem filling MDI supplies. It's always good to have a decent supply for back up. Pumps get dunked in swimming pools, days at water parks etc.

13. Beach bum

What kind of shelf life do the pods have? Generally, we do untethered in summer, but they have been saying they might want to do this...

14. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I have a big insulin pen stockpile from when I was on MDI (at least 5-7 boxes of Humalog and Lantus each and lots of pen needles) that I have in the back of my fridge as emergency pump backup. Once that backup expires (late 2016/early 2017, I believe), I'll ask my endo for a few one-time prescriptions for 1-2 Lantus vials. Worst comes to worst, there's always the option of taking a million injections of rapid-acting, switching to regular/NPH insulin (I think it's available without a prescription) and using that to cover basal, or going to the ER and explaining my situation to get a prescription for long-acting insulin (if the endo's office is closed and I somehow manage to damage the only long-acting insulin I have)

That reminds me that I should ask my endo for more syringes whenever I see her in June. I should start hoarding those like I do with my lancets.

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We also have the Omnipod as a back-up to the tethered pump. We got it for water events, but we went through a pump failure and going back on shots at a time when my brain and focus were not on diabetes, and MDI was a scary thought. My daughter's insulin needs that week had ranged from 15 units to 76 units, and the CDE on call was telling me to give her 30 units of Lantus which I would not be able to temp basal to off. I chose instead to sugar surf and bolus fast-acting basal every two hours through the night until the new pump arrived in overnight mail at 10 a.m. the next morning. (Side note: I was told I was being "dangerous" and "stacking insulin" by the on-call CDE who apparently gained his certificate from the likes of a Cracker Jack box, as he could not understand that I was replacing her 1.6 u/hr of basal with 3 units and a correction dose every two hours. :crazy:) The new, smaller Omnipod was released two months later, and we ordered it almost immediately. The $200 for Cut-the-Cord has paid for itself multiple times over in the co-pays we haven't paid for Lantus.

As a parent of an increasingly independent teen, I was very thankful to be able to send the Omnipod as a back-up when she flew half-way across the country for a week-long academy solo last summer. Taking the risk of a pump failure/MDI dose switch out of the possible wild-cards that she might have to deal with was much lower stress, at least for me.

We order vials typically for pumping, but when the insulin got forgotten on an out-of-town trip*, I requested a pen prescription for Walgreens for emergencies. That way there is less likely to be the "you've already received your insulin for these three months" hassle.

*which could lead to a whole 'nother thread discussion on when to be compulsive and double-check everything your teen says they've packed and when to give the confidence vote that they did something much appreciated...and missed the major items because "those things are always in my bag". I certainly don't have the answers. That trip we were without test strips and insulin. She had those both on the next trip...and left the insulin in the car overnight. Fortunately, the temperatures were slightly above freezing. This letting go stage is hard to know when and what to do at times, and I find myself envying friends who only deal with forgotten underwear or socks or toothbrushes and grieving for my kid for the hyper-responsibility diabetes demands of her above what her peers must do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The manufacture date on our pods are 6/15 and they expire 12/16.

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yeah, it looks like they all expire 18 months after date of manufacture. I order from express scripts though and the ones I got last July (that expire 9/2016) were manufactured 3/2015 so they spent some time hanging around a warehouse somewhere.

18. Beach bum

That's the issue we have with sensors from Byram Health, though our last shipment was a bit better.