- advertisement -

When would you call???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Mar 27, 2010.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Hello all, I have started this thread because we are quite new at this and I am wonderng, when would you consider it time to call your endo???? My dd has had d for just under two months. she is on humolog and lantus pens. the past two days or so she has had great readings, however yesterday she was at a sleepover (she had given herself a bit extra insulin so she could snack and woke to check her self at three she was 62!!!! (her range is 70 - 150) so she had some fast acting carbs and her friends waited up with her for fifteen minutes checked again.... 66 so she had so juice and was 96 15 min later she ate half a granola bar incase she was still going to drop. That morning 130 a great number, breakfast was eggs, toast and a bit of banana, she had extra eggs but no extra insulin. at lunch she felt funny and was 86 but thought she was dropping so we are now doing 12-1 instead of 10-1, oh she has 19 units of lantus every night. yesterday she was dancing and did not eat anything, she was 69 it took over 30 carbs to bring her to 103

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

In the beginning we called a LOT! If we just didn't know what to do, whenever he went a little low, whenever there were ketones (which we still do for the most part). My feelings are that if I am in doubt as to what to do, we call our endo or CDE. If we know how we should handle it, we do, and if there is a problem, call for help. I know that our dr. expected the calls in the beginning, and didn't mind, but Logan was still an infant. You are still pretty early in, and I think that most endo would expect the questions and worries, but that is just our experience! Good Luck!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

When Steven was diagnosed I was on the phone quite a bit with the endo for the first few months. There should be someone on call at all times. For something like this I would give a call during the day and see if you can talk to the CDE. Often they can help you work with the #s and figure out what needs to be tweaked. How old is your daughter? Its possible that shes honeymooning and will need to have her insulin dosages reduced. Its fine to do that if shes having lows even without endos approval as you dont want the lows happening in the middle of the night. I would reduce lantus by a unit if it were me and if there are still lows cut back another unit until blood sugars start coming up in range

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would call the endo now, and get the Lantus switched to mornings.. :cwds:

5. pianoplayer4

thanks a bunch, she is a mid teen

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Never hesitate to call if you're worried or not sure what to do. That's what they're there for. We called a lot for the first few months.

If she's having lows throughout the day or overnight, I would reduce the lantus. If it's at the same time of day, then reduce the humolog at the meal before that low.

But, again, I'd call the endo's office and run it by them.

7. pianoplayer4

thankyou all for your info, ended up high that night so we have stuck to first i/c ratio. dd must have had too much insulin at the party she went to... had to do alot of guessing:rolleyes:

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

When in doubt, call.:cwds:

Good luck!

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

You did not mention your DD's age, but I am assuming middle school age (give or take).

You said that she has had D for 2 months. Usually insulin needs drop dramatically a few weeks into dx. Does your endo have you calling in or faxing in numbers to them. If not, call and let them know of the frequent lows.

Dancing and sleepovers - lots of activity will bring on lows. SOmetimes the lows hit several hours later.

If I were in your shoes, I would call the endo to review numbers. Looks like a reduction in Lantus by at least 1 unit is in order. And as Wilf said, I'd switch the dose to morning because some people experience a "peak" about 4 hours after the shot. It is better if the drop happens during the day. Also, if it "runs out" before a full 24 hours, you can adjust easily with less insulin at the breakfast bolus.

I'm glad you found this forum.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Our Endo encouraged us to call for lows, 3 consecutive high BG over 250, ketones, and definitely call if your having difficulties.

I found that I get pretty good advice here too.

FYI...my endo stated they have checked CWD site out and thought highly of it. :)

As for your lows, when ever lows appear to be happening more often its time to tweak your insulin regimen.

I would think of decreasing her basals...and see what happens.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

In answer to your question, I wouldn't hesitate to call the endo. That's what they are there for! ;) And major kudos to your daughter for waking at 3 am to check herself while at a sleepover! Good job! :)

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Yeah that is it.

13. Toni

Toni Banned

We faxed in numbers every week, and I would have a list of questions for endo and team on the fax cover sheet. Often quite detailed. We did adjust insulin somewhat, the basals would be decided by Sis (whether to reduce or increase the Lantus by half unit at a time). I believe in your instance Sis may have done nothing or slight decrease (probably nothing as she was not as concerned with low in the sixties). I probably would lower the Lantus slightly. We had ICRs, correction facor; I don't think we changed those much in the beginning. In an emergency we would call. If I have a question that can't wait, I would email endo and CDE. That is what they are there for. If you need help you should not hesitate to call.

14. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I call whenever my ideas don't seem to be working. I also call when I want a second opinion, I may not take thier opinion but soemtimes a fresh perspective is nice to have. When in doubt, call.

15. sariana

sariana Approved members

We constantly called in the beginning and it was New Years too! Never feel that you are putting them out or worry about it. This is your baby that you are worried about! Better to call then be sorry about it later :(

16. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Call if you need to, especially at first.

But, long term, a 62 is not something to get really worked up about. I'm concerned that you think that 80-180 is a hard range and any deviation outside is danger. That's not the case, give yourself breathing room, otherwise you'll have a nervous breakdown. It would be pointless for us to call over a 62, but we've been at this for three years. Treat and move on.