- advertisement -

When to change a basal?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Mar 12, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

How much time do you go backwards to correct a increase in blood sugar that is basal related. Carolina's blood sugar will rise at certain times during the day and go down at certain times of the day. I want to correct this by changing the basal in the PDM. I am not sure when I want to correct a rise beginning at 3am. How far backwards in time should I go to change the basal?:confused:

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

General rule of thumb is 2hrs before you want the change to happen. So 3am you see the rise, thne the basal change is at 1am.

Ours we do 1-1.5 hrs prior to change because we use Apidra.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, we change two hours before we see the rise or fall. It's a little YDMV, but I think 2 hours is the most commonly used rule of thumb.

4. Toni

Toni Banned

I was told two hours and that is what I do. But I can see the difference in one hour sometimes.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yup, we were told two hours.. each situation is different though, but the majority of the time, its 2 hours before the issue.

6. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Thanks for the great information. I knew there was an answer. :)