- advertisement -

When to begin Trial Net with new baby?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Our endo said he recommends his patients new siblings begin Trial Net between 18mos-2years old. I was just wondering if that is standard practice.

He's only 2.5 months so we've got a while yet.

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

we started at 1 year old. I think that's the earliest? She had 1 antibody by one year old, 3 by 2 years old... so definitely worth while for us starting early....

3. crg2010

crg2010 Approved members

You're right that 1 year old is the earliest you can have a baby started in the TrialNet study. My older son was diagnosed in October 2012 and we had to wait to get my youngest tested until he turned 1 in spring 2013. He was negative, but we can bring him back annually to see if that changes.

Our endo never recommended to us to have our younger son tested, but it is something we had wanted to do.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I think they wait until one year old because it is hard to get enough blood from a younger child. That is what I was told. Makes sense to me.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

They wait until 1 year because in younger babies the mother's antibodies may be present.

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I thought it was 1, but I could be mistaken. My son is 4 months and we have decided not to do trialnet with him. I don't want "oh no, he has some antibodies, let's wait for him to get diabetes" I think it would stress me out more.

7. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Our endo has never mentioned getting our son (age 16 months) tested. We never brought it up with him either though.