- advertisement -

When should a thread be closed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darryl, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueM

SueM Banned

Thank you for the reminder that the Hot Topics section is still around. Lol!

2. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

I did not know this. You are right that the bickering threads get thousands of views. <scratching head>. So this is why people can say and do what they want because it all boils down to revenue for j@j? Disgusts me to think that the mighty dollar is more important to the feelings for people. This is not intended or pointed at you in any way lee

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I've been a member for a couple of years before and after the J&J acquisition. I have seen no change whatsoever in the CWD forums connected with the acquisition, nor has there been any commercial exploitation as a result of the acquisition. From what I can see, Jeff still moderates the forums as he always has.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

No, this absolutely ridiculous. It's ludicrous to think that a few thousand hits on a thread would be in any way substantive to a company the size of J&J. It's just silly to think so.

For what it's worth if you're seeing ads you're doing it wrong ... Firefox and Adblock shows no ads ... anywhere.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I tend to agree, even though I do visit it sometimes I don't see how it's relevant to helping us.

6. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Before I respond to this entire thread, I will respond to this specifically.

Grandy, and anyone else who thinks this, you could not be more wrong. To anyone who thinks that they see commercial exploitation by anyone, you are completely and utterly mistaken. Our finances are not public, but suffice it to say that it costs much more to run CWD than we earn in online advertising revenue and conference sponsorships, and that significant difference is born by J&J. Without the incredibly generous support we receive from J&J, it is entirely possible that there would be no CWD.

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'd like to add some thoughts on this discussion, in no particular order.

I addressed the "commercial exploitation" nonsense above, but let me reiterate that nothing could be further from the truth. It's deeply saddening to see people who have no knowledge of CWD make assumptions about how we operate as an organization, and always assuming the worst. I see the same hostility directed at other large organizations (JDRF, ADA, etc.). Before you accuse, how about getting your facts straight?

Regarding moderation, it would be trivially easy to ensure that the posts here were always free of discord. I could simply set the forums to require pre-publication review of every single post. The legal team that oversees us would love that. But the family seeking advice, or the teen desperate for an answer, surely would not. So, I have chosen to be rather lenient on posts.

It seems time to change that position in response to recent problems, so I will work to remove posts that belittle or attack others and will publicly warn or temporarily ban the abusers. This in and of itself is not necessarily a better way of running a forum -- it's just a different way. If the adults who use this board would simply behave like adults, and remember the focus of this forum (helping people who live with type 1 diabetes), this intrusive attention would not be necessary.

I simply do not understand why some people behave so poorly online, especially in a forum that exists to help them and costs them nothing.

We are done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.