- advertisement -

When should a thread be closed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darryl, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Can I say, now the CWD is a for profit website owned by J&J. I think that the page views for the controversial threads are so incredibly high, even though only a handful of people are posting, is marketing genius.

How many of you revisit the website more when there is an argument going on? A typical thread has between 100 to 400 views. A locked thread, one that isn't just a personal attack, has between 6000-10000 views.

It ain't only the people participating, it is also the readers who obviously enjoy these types of threads.

I personally think that the debates should stay, but once someone personally attacks another poster, then that post should be removed. It means heavy moderation, or without, we self-moderate, which is what you see on this board.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is no longer his playground, it is now Johnson and Johnson's playground.

3. Naked Cheese Chasing Guy

Naked Cheese Chasing Guy Approved members

I think all trolls and sock puppets accounts should be disallowed. Unless they're me.

4. Talula does the Hula

Talula does the Hula Approved members

Does someone need a coconut bra to cover his nakedness??

and yeah, I think the creation of troll accounts used only to garner support for one's position has gotten totally out of hand. I mean, really, sometimes it's obvious when one single poster has a lot of sock puppet accounts and they uses those accounts to stir the pot. So when those users show up in a thread, those posts should be removed. It's easy enough for the administration to know which users are using multiple accounts just to cause trouble.

*see what I just did there...

Anyway - happy gobble gobble to you all. I will do a little hula for everyone. Talula may not be the smartest hula girl in the west but Talula still likes to learn from CWD.

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I do my very best to oversee the forums, but, believe it or not, I do have other things to do every now and then.

I see the forums as a place for grown ups to exchange views and, as such, much leeway is given. When a discussion degrades into 7th grade behavior, I will typically close a thread. But since I'm not in the forums 24x7, it sometimes takes a while to discover an issue and deal with it. I am very thankful for the help of the moderators who help to "keep the peace."

Ideally, we would all remember that we share a common goal -- helping our kids (or ourselves) to live a happy, healthy life with type 1 diabetes. We use the forums and other tools to learn from others who have been there before, realizing that what works for others might not be perfectly appropriate for us, and thus not judging.

I am always saddened when I see a discussion disintegrate into poor behavior, and wonder, if we were all in a room together, face to face, if the discussion would be more polite. I like to think so.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. May we find joy in our families and friends, and may our boluses be correct and our BGs in the target range! :cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I dont know about the rest of ya but you wouldnt see me being anything but polite. I actually probably wouldnt open my mouth too much and you'd be surprised that it was the same person who babbles on in the forums:eek: I cannot stand controversy and will try to avoid it at all costs. I know, how codependent of me:rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving Jeff and Brenda. Always thankful for CWD and all that you've done for me and my boy :cwds:

7. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Moderation

I have done some moderating on a couple of diabetes websites, and in some small groups on Facebook. When there are very rude remarks my fellow mods and I delete them and send a private message to the author(s). We tell them they may be banned if that behavior continues. That usually puts a stop to it, but sometimes they choose to leave the site and never come back. The only time we close a thread is when several members are attacking each other. Then we make a general statement to them on that thread, delete the offensive posts, and close the discussion. I haven't personally closed more than one discussion, ever. I agree that most discussions have some merit, and should continue, in good taste.

What annoys me very often is the hijacking of a thread. The original discussion is ignored and then goes in a completely different direction. We sometimes take the posts that comprise the new direction, and start a new thread with an appropriate title. Those posts can then be deleted from the original thread. No infractions are given in those situations, but people may get the message, we hope.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Threads getting off the main track isn't the problem. Infact, thats typically how a normal (face to face) conversation would go, especially the longer it goes on... Just like here, the longer the thread gets the more likely it will go a bit off the original topic. The problem comes when there are poster(s) purposely derail a thread sending it way off topic, or nit picking one particular poster because they had a disagreement in another thread. Discussions and disagreements are healthy, we all learn from them. Thinking twice before hitting 'submit reply' goes a long way.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yup ... as was stated in a most recent post that historic posts led to the assumption that one poster had a hidden agenda and was swarmed. A poster outright admitted that the reason for the swarm was because of previous posts. I think each new thread is a new beginning and the baggage needs to be left behind. People can make mistakes and change their world view but if everyone looks at a new post and assumes they know a poster's intent then they might as well be marked with a Scarlett Letter. I assume that each new thread is a clean slate - at least that's my intent.

That having been said I think there are people on these forums that feel that opposing views are a necessary part of the discourse of these forums and I would agree with that because an unchallenged, questionable assertion is left with weight undeserving. Almost no one questions when someone counters a quack, snake oil remedy for T1D. We, as a forum, seem almost universal on topics such as this. I would doubt few would get bent if someone asked if anyone found benefit in cinnamon therapy and someone went "off topic" and stated that it doesn't really do anything. Just keep in mind that what some people see as valid as cinnamon therapy others see differently and will comment.

And that, as well, having been said I feel that locking a thread is the lazy but perhaps the practical way out. I think, if I were a mod, I would just delete the nastiness and let the threads live on. I would, however, consider a time constraint on locking. I would lock threads over, say, 1 month old. If it's locked then someone could start a new thread.

$0.02
    €0.0151

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I honestly dont consider it lazy, maybe a stop gap measure until it can be looked over more carefully by a mod or if there have been complaints about a particular post or thread they are often just locked immediately, for the same reason as stated above. Stop gap measure, stop the animosity, whatever. I have had threads reopened though by asking a mod or Jeff to do so. When I feel that the discussion was helpful or interesting to others or maybe people felt that they had more to say but didnt get a chance I have asked for the thread to be unlocked. I can imagine its gotta be an arduous chore to look through an entire thread and pick out offensive posts to delete and what offends one person may not offend someone else.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I disagree. I do treat posters differently based on past behavior, just like I do in real life. For instance, I have no problem dissecting any given post that you make rather critically because I know you're interested in debate and argument and because I know you won't take it as a personal attack on you, your wife, and children. ;) I also ignore many posts that I'm 99% sure are just trolling for controversy or an argument for the sake of argument because (1) they get old, and (2) they're annoyingly transparent.

I will happily give second chances, and even third chances. But I just don't have the time for fourth and fifth chances.

The boards are severely undermoderated. I think the best course of action is to not delete any posts (if people are being asses, I think it should be preserved for posterity), but for moderators to step into threads and redirect them back on course. That's time intensive, though, and for a board of this size, four moderators, most of whom have limited experience with moderation, will not be able to do that in an effective way.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

This is true - I don't mind at all being questioned or challenged. In fact, that's why I look to the boards. If I thought I had it all figured out I wouldn't come here. I don't feel it's necessary to get offended when someone challenges an assertion or opinion but what really gets me is when someone assumes they know intent when it's not clearly written or intuitively obvious - for the most part.

The main reason I think we, as longer time members, ought to give the benefit of the doubt for new threads regardless of past posts is primarily for the benefit of newer members. Odds are they are probably not aware of any history and they may find it very confusing and disconcerting when they see a post where that baggage, or history if you will, is brought along and what may seem like, or be, a completely innocent and rational post is bombarded with, in the context of a single thread, completely irrational responses. This can't help newer members in any way.

Perhaps I'm really different in this way but, much like my watching a movie, I tend to forget what I read or watch except, of course, for the parts that are helpful and worth remembering. I have no problem looking at each thread as a new event and I feel, for the benefit of readers who don't "follow the drama", we need to seriously consider each new thread as a new beginning. That's what I have been trying to do at least.

13. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I've not been here as long as most of you, but this ^ is what I've seen. Some people just don't know when to let things go. Debates can be great, in that everyone has a chance to consider things in a different light when varying opinions are given - but only if things are kept reasonable and respectful. The endless nitpicking and grudge matches get old fast. In the year I've been here I've seen that get much worse. That could be a definite turnoff for new families, and it's sad because this site has so much to offer if you can get past the petty bs.

I don't think posts should be deleted. If someone posts something it should stand, so others can review histories and see what type of person they are dealing with. But I do agree with closing threads that have disintegrated into endless bickering - it's too hard to hunt through the pissing contests to get to any good information. If members have more to contribute on topic, they can just refocus things by starting a new thread...with the hope that any bickering or off-topic posters will have taken their cue to back off when the original thread was closed.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I was thinking mostly of parents who are new to the forum. There must be at least a few new parents each week, and if they come at the wrong time, they may see these kinds of threads. How many new parents have had as their first impression and does it affect their decision to participate?

15. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Yes, it definitely affects a new parents decision to participate, and their willingness to seek support or guidance. I haven't been here long at all, and I have had times I wondered if it was worth sticking around. There are some amazingly knowledgeable and truly supportive people on this forum, and I don't know that I could have managed dd's care as well without the ability to first lurk, and than participate.

While it is true that there is no inflection, intonation, or emotion other than what the reader give a post while they read it, there have been times when I felt saddened by the treatment of members, both new and old. There are times when it does appear that holding a minority viewpoint and expressing it can have rather negative outcomes, which is really too bad.

Having volunteered as a forum moderator on other sites, I do not envy Jeff, Ellen or any other moderator the job they have in moderating this forum. Personally we're all adults and capable of moderating ourselves for the most part. Even though I try to only post things I would feel comfortable and polite saying in mixed company there are times it still comes off just wrong, and I know I've offended people unintentionally. In those instances, I just have to accept that a quick sorry and moving on is best - even if I feel unjustifiably attacked. Chances are the person on the other end simply doesn't see it that way, and even if they do in retrospect, calling people out in a public forum sets people on edge. As to the idea of a pm to a poster when they do cross the line form discourse to unpleasantness, I can't imagine who draws the line, or the amount of time implementing such a process would involve- certainly more than any volunteer could commit.

So, the system is what it is, and I appreciate Jeff for creating the space, and every member here for keeping it going. I'm hoping the back and forth returns to more of a friendly give and take, and that people who've mentioned in pms that they're leaving in fact do come back as their input was invaluable.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just delete the offending comments and that's it. Of course, that takes time and work. Some of the more offending threads really had some great discussions, but got heated at times.

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I think this is another issue that no matter what the solution is, it's just not going to please everyone.

18. SueM

SueM Banned

That's where the OT portion can be a help. That could/should be a place where some of the more controversial (heated) topics could be allowed. As long as it doesn't get vulgar, etc. If you don't like that sort of thing, stay off OT (or carefully screen for your threads of interest). It's pretty cut and dry there.

Sure new parents may wander there at some point and be disappointed but then you can gently point them in the direction of the more standard portion of the boards. No one is forcing anyone to read the OT portion. That's a personal decision for you to make... If it offends, move on. Again, assuming things don't get too overboard.

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Having the Hot Topics area should hopefully keep the really explosive (and sometimes important) issues off the OT. For me, things really started a downward spiral when OT was created, though it made sense at the time.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

There have been times during a really hot thread (and not hot because it's a great topic to discuss) that I've met new families. I've actually prefaced telling them about CWD with, it's a great resource etc, but at times it gets very heated sometimes, so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't want families to not benefit from CWD, but I don't want this to be their lasting impression either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.