- advertisement -

When first diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lexie251, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

I think your right, I wouldn't of been upset if I would of known a head of time that she needed to more in the 6 or 7's. After the letter I am furious and am now on the hunt for a new endo. I don't want an endo that agrees with me on how to take care of her. I want one that explains why things should be done certain ways. I also think I am searching for a second opinion on how she should be taken care of.

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Now that I think about it, I think my daughter's actual "range" that her endo likes her in is 100-180, something like that. We all know though, that the lower end of that is better. It's a must that my daughter is higher at bed time too since around 3am she drops. What I do if my daughter is on the lower end when she wakes up is: say she's 80, I will give her about 3g of carbs because I know that will most likely bring her up to her target, and I will still prebolus (20 min) for breakfast the amount of insulin I would give her if she was at her target. It works for us. At least for breakfast lol

I know how difficult it is when you have a endo that.. to plainly put it, sucks. You can always call your insurance co to see if there's another endo around.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You might find Think Like a Pancreas a good read and helpful in knowing what you want/expect in an endo relationship as far as your involvement. The author has diabetes himself, along with being an CDE. The advice he gives, like about how many carbs to give based on weight and severity of low, is really helpful.

4. Lexie251

Do you think its bad if like before meals she is 60 or 70 I just let her eat? or is it always a must to give sugar. I feel when she isin's feeling it she may not be as low as what meter states.

5. Lexie251

Kind of sounds like a book I would really enjoy. It may answer all of my food questions. I just get frustrated when I think back to the begining and wonder what happen when there are parents who don't care as much as we do. They just follow Rileys rules even when they shouldn't. I am going to start the search for a endo. There was a Endo who saw her when she was diagnosed who had Type 1. However I can't find her on the Website anymore.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

It is ok to let her eat when she is a bit low, any lower though, you should give sugar. This is because things like fat and protein slow down glucose absorption, making it difficult for the blood sugar to rise quickly.

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think it depends a bit. If you think she is dropping quickly, perhaps she has been running around a lot, I would treat first. If not, I would give dinner but encourage carby things like fruit or bread first.

8. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I kind of agree with this but I also think real little ones run around like crazy and if they aren't going to stop and say they feel low maybe a little high is better. I think it also depends what kind of care they have. If they are with mom and dad all day, great, but I could easily see that at a daycare a low toddler just looks like a cranky tired toddler and might get overlooked too long. I also think they like those real little ones higher cause their brains are still developing and brains use a lot of glucose. I don't think they know what will happen with too many lows at that stage but they like to cover their you-know-whats.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree for the most part. There are so many different variables and so many different situations, it is incorrect to make blanket statements like "you have to let little ones run high".

10. joan

joan Approved members

I have not been on here for awhile but found your concern interesting. I do not doubt the need to find an endo who explains thigs and you feel comfortable with . I was just thinking that if her blood sugar is 50 and you give her 15 gms of sugar and she is spiking to 300 that is a bit high for 15gms. If 5 gms bring her up 50 points than another 10 should bring her up another 100 so based on those numbers she should go to 200. She may actually be releasing sugar from her liver in response to the low. Just a thought

11. Lexie251

Ok I'm confused, what would that mean? Do I need to take her to the dr?

12. Lexie251

R u thinking its because she is still getting help from her pancreas? I know the liver aids or helps with glucose control. What would you do?

13. missmakaliasmomma

My daughter will spike in the 300s with 15g. I think that's actually pretty normal for smaller kids. At 50, we'd treat with probably 5g. 1g will bring her up 10-15 points so it all depends on what that specific type of sugar reacts.

To the OP, if that's what you're concerned about (asking if you should go to the dr) No, it's normal. My daughter's only a year younger -right? yours is 6?- and we learned quickly that 15g is wayyyy too much. Plus she's only 35 lbs so it'll really shoot her BG up there.

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Follow up question - "How soon can I make this happen?"

15. Lexie251

Yes, about Dr. Cause when I told her I didn't feel comfortable with the way they wanted me to treat lows. She said there was no way she could go from 50 to 300. My daughter is 7 and 52lbs. She just turned 7 in August.

16. joan

joan Approved members

No I am just saying that it is possible that this is happening. Glucose released by the liver is a natural response the body has when there is low blood sugar and the liver has glucose stores available. I am not saying this is happening but it is a possibility.

A lot of parents on this site seem to really understand their childrens lows and how to treat very specifically and keep their bs in good range after a low. My son was not like that or I was not as skilled as some other parents but i found the response to a low was not always the same. Time of day, activity level, even where I injected his insulin could alter the amount of carbs need to bring him up to a normal level. Sometimes 5 carbs did the trick sometimes20 wasn't enough. Thats all, I was just thinking about it and had to put my 2cents in...

17. Christopher

Treating lows without using a CGM is tricky, mainly because you never know, at first, how fast they are dropping or how many carbs it is going to take to bring them back into range. If they are slowly going low it might only take a few carbs to stop the low and then a few more to bring them back into range. If they are zooming low it may take more carbs given several different times to bring them back up.

A lot of this is trial and error. Keep detailed logs about how you treat lows. You can include the bg number, the amount of carbs given, and what the outcome was. The rub is that no two lows are usually the same. There are many variables that come into play (for example, how much insulin they have in their system, what they have eaten recently, activity, etc).

Good luck.

18. Lexie251

Ok should I consider getting a CGM. My endo has not said a word about one.

19. Christopher

Well, based on some of the comments you said your Endo made, I would not put much faith in what they have or have not said.

Getting a CGM is a personal decision that you need to discuss with your daughter and your insurance company. It can be a useful tool in managing diabetes but not everyone wants one.

20. missmakaliasmomma

Honestly, with your endo, I think I'd rather take advice from the parents on here. You know your child best, not the dr who sees her for an hr every 3 months. I wish I had come across this site immediately after dx, not 3.5 years later. I don't think I would've listened much to what her first endo said lol. There was no talking to my daughters first endo, they were right, I was wrong period.

They said NPH wasn't bringing her from being high to dangerously low. Ok, so when we stopped NPH, those lows didn't happen anymore... hmmm.

No one EVER told me about apidra until this site. It's been awesome and a big change in BGs around here. Her current endo basically takes my lead. I told her I was interested in Apidra and she told me, lets try it, Ill send a prescription. She's awesome. I thank God I was able to switch. The first endo refused to take my daughter off of NPH, even when I asked. Pisses me off to this day.

The day I took my daughter to her current endo, the first thing she did was put her on Lantus instead of NPH.. I liked her right off the bat :)