- advertisement -

When did you start self adjusting doses without calling into the dr?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MelissaAL, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

We were one of the fortunate families that received full training in the hospital including how to count carbs, figure out ratios, incorporate corrections, plot our numbers, and adjust as needed.

The training was very intense, like a university short course taught by the doctor, learning all about the body and what is happening or not happening properly anymore, the common errors to look out for, what to anticipate in the coming weeks and months.

My husband stayed in the hospital with my daughter for the first week as he was shown the ropes, and during the second week my daughter received day passes. The hospital's experience was that it paid off to do the training up front - having families leave once they were properly trained.

So, once we left the hospital, we didn't call in.

We were on holiday in Germany, and at the time, we had no idea how lucky we were.

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I remember adjusting lantus for the first time 3 months post diagnosis. When she went on the pump it took me a month to be comfortable to make adjustments.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think three or four weeks in. I just did not want to wait for them to get back to me with dosing advice.