- advertisement -

When can your teen go to pool alone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by PatriciaMidwest, Aug 3, 2010.

1. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

What age did you start letting your D child go to the pool w/friends without a parent? This would be neighborhood subdivision pools (no lifeguard, no monitors - access by card).

DD is 13 and has friends that invite her to their pools without a parent going. One mom checks on them occasionally at the window (lives behind subdivision pool) and other moms send the girls alone.

Then there are all the D considerations - no locker for pump, no lifeguard in case of a terrible low, etc.

Thanks.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Ah, with those circumstances, I think never. ;)
    But that is my D son who will surprise me if he is ever responsible enough to do that. If my DD was D I would let her do it. Totally depends on the child. Oh, and the fact that DD is 18, not 13 :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No lifeguard, no parents... no swimming :cool:

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I would have to agree.:cwds:

5. PatriciaMidwest

Glad to hear it ladies...this is what I'm feeling too.

Thanks!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And to be honest, it's only 25% a D thing, to my mind. They call them "life guards" for a reason. :cwds: Not, "pool guards" or "swim guards" ... kids die from doing goofy things at pools, even without D in the picture.

I hope your DD can understand that it's a safety thing more than it is a D thing. Good luck!:cwds:

7. lisab

lisab Approved members

Very much agree!!!

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I agree and that goes for my nonD son too.

9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I agree.

As a nondiabetic adult I wouldn't swim without someone around who could help in an emergency. I would never depend on a thirteen year old to be that backup, it's asking too much and if something went wrong she'd never forgive herself. So I would not let my daughter swim under those circumstances, either.

I'm really surprised your subdivision even allows it, you'd think no matter how many "swim at your own risk" signs you put up the homeowners will still be liable if there is an accident.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Most pools have some restrictions if under age 15 must have a parent with.

I have to agree with the other parents: no parents or lifeguard...no swimming

11. PatriciaMidwest

It seemed a bit weird to me too when we relocated, but it's how its done around here.

The minimum age is set by the subdivision bylaws. Each neighborhood decides that for themselves through their board. All the homeowners have to sign a liability waiver for the pool since there is not a lifeguard on duty, and have to agree to abide by pool rules. No signed waiver = no pool card.

There are *usually* other parents there, since there is usually a baby pool too, but no guarantee.

I am also concerned with predators. You just don't know who is lurking around, even if you know all of your neighbors - there are other people coming and going/driving by who may be looking for an opportunity. Sometimes I think people let their guard down because it's a "neighborhood" activity.

12. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I wouldn't let my kids go without a life guard. And having other parents there with their own kids wouldn't help, they'd be watching their own kids not yours.

13. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

If Brandi was going with a friend I would probably be OK probably a little hesitant, but if she was going all alone with noone that she knew it would be a N-O-!

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

If DD was with friends who could all swim well and there was at least one with lifeguarding experience I'd let her go..

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree with Wilf. We had this situation come up this summer - it only happened once and the friend lived across the street from the pool and the friend's mother was checking on them periodically. All the girls could swim and are really good kids. My dd had to check in many times on the cell phone with me.