- advertisement -

when can we travel?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tara0514, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tara0514

tara0514 Approved members

hi.
    thank you all for being so supportive. it really helps me to know that i'm not alone. I'm only 1 week into this and I dont know what I dont know yet.
    still having a range of emotions.

We have a trip scheduled for Disney in Sept. I am taking my daughter 2.5yrs old with my friend and her 4yr old. I will be on my own. scared to death with having no handle on this disease yet. hate to cancel it as I know Lexie has been looking forward to it.

tips or recommendations?
    thanks.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think the best thing you can do for her is go on your trip so she sees that diabetes will not limit her. Do you have a CDE or endo on call if you need help while you're away?

I'm travelling next month, so I'm still figuring out how to do it too! I'm packing double the supplies I think I'll need (all in carry-on luggage), all the phone numbers for her diabetes team, my "Using Insulin" book...probably more I haven't thought of yet.

3. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hey! There is a disney post floating around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it to link.

Anyway, I think it WILL be scary to go, BUT I think that it's totally doable! We're going camping next week at Knoebels (amusement park) for 2 days and away to Williamsburg, VA for a week in August. I'm nervous, too. I just want to live my life as normal as possible. We'll have to make adjustments while we are there, but I'm not going to stop going places. I'm going to learn how to do it even when we're away.

My best advice? Take a laptop and get on here with questions while you're there! :)

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Here's the link. Hopefully it will work!

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Glad you are here in the forum, but as always - sorry you need to be.

All the feelings that you are experiencing are reasonable and normal. It does get better over time. You will make adjusts and find a routine that works for you.

By September, you should have no problems traveling. Don't cancel that trip.

One of the CWD forum member, Badshoe, has tips for Disney here: http://disneywithdiabetes.com/

Come back to the forum often to ask questions, share victories or just to vent.

Elissa

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I love love love traveling so I'm taking baby steps, little overnight trips to get used to it. I think it's very do-able, the only real problem being it's easy to catch a bug when traveling, especially by plane, and that can complicate things. Is it too late to add another adult to help you out? Disney with a two year old, that's so brave, I doubt you'll even blink at adding the diabetes!

7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I say go. :) We all have firsts for everything, and you will learn what to do. Have fun and let your daughter see that she can do anything, even Disney, with D.:)

Hope you go and have fun!!:)

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

definitely go on your trip.. by sept. you'll be doing most everything on your own.. they'll be a huge difference for you.. you don't want your daughter, who is looking forward to this so much, to know it was cancelled because of D.. infact, Disney is one of the BEST places to go with a D child.. they are VERY accomidating.. they will give you a 'vip' pass that essentially lets you go through all the fast lane instead of waiting in the lines.. the heat can have a big impact on blood sugar levels..

go and have a blast!!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree completely!

You will be in a much more informed and comfortable place by Sept. It will not ever be the same as travel with a non-D kid, and it's difficult to imagine, but you will feel much more confident in your D skills by then. ;)

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I think the "idea" is more scary than actually going. We went to a hotel overnight for 2 nights shortly after SD was dx too. I was nervous, but it turned out just fine. It actually helped me as now I am not afraid to go anywhere. I think once you get through this trip, you will have more confidence too.

BTW, Have fun!

11. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

go go go:D by Sept things will have calmed down a bit, it'll be scarey, each new situation with d is, but you'll get thru it and I'm sure you'll be happy you went.
    BTW the suggestion to bring your laptop is great--help will be only a click away

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think you should go too. It'll be scary and you'll be nervous. That's totally normal, but you'll be up for the challenge, and you'll do fine.
    Take emergency numbers with you, cell-phone and the laptop definitely;)

Having said that I totally understand your fears. It took me a long time just to be able to take my d-son with me grocery shopping, let alone travelling. But once the first time was over and done with, I realized I was ok, even with my fears.

((HUGS))

13. phil413

phil413 Approved members

You should definitely go!! You will be surprised about how much more settled and confident you will be by then.

We will be there in September (1-7) as well :)

14. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

15. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Badshoe,

Now that the picture is bigger, I realize that Cinderella's castle is made of D stuff(Pumps, Syringes, Meters). How Cool!

16. U of I Mom

U of I Mom Approved members

Go ahead and go. I have heard that Disney is accomodating for People with D. We flew from Chicago to D.C., rented a car and drove to Philly 2 months after diagnoses and did fine. Keep in mind tht you may be testing more often and injecting more often due to different food, sitting on the plane, etc. We had to find a Walgreens to get more test strips and pen needles.