- advertisement -

When at the beach do you use cgms if so how?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by curediabetes14, Jun 1, 2010.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

We are going to the beach next week. My dd uses the dexcom 7+. This is the first year she has had it and wants to use it while we are on vacation. My question is will sand bother the tranmitter? She usually puts her site on her bottom, will not consider arms, but will use tummy if need be.

Her sensor sites usually stay on during bathing, but we have not tried swimming yet. Any tips?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I haven't been to the beach yet wearing CGMS, but I have worn it in the pool.

I make sure to wear the sensor somewhere that will be covered. I don't usually do my abdomen, but if I'll be in the pool I put it there so that my swimsuit fits over it tightly. Otherwise I'd be just too worried about losing the transmitter at the bottom of the pool / sea. I guess that it would also help to protect it from sand.

I'd also keep the reciever in a watertight clear plastic bag or something similar, to prevent water and sand getting in and damaging it.. They seem to get everywhere at the beach.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've been to the beach multiple times with the sensor.. sand doesn't seem to bother the transmitter at all..we just make sure its taped down well.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

5. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I wouldn't trust the ocean waves not to knock it off. I'd hate to loose the transmitter that way.

We're having this debate ourselves at the moment. So far we've gone swimming with success, BUT in a pool and one sensor did come off in the pool. Glad it wasn't the ocean. ;)

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We use skin tac on the sensor tape and have had great luck with not losing any sensors. We also use the aquapack for the receiver to keep sand and water out of the open area. Good luck. Sam wears his on his arm as I want it easily visible during beach time.....he would have a fit if I was looking at his hiney all the time wondering if the sensor fell off!!